sickeningly sweet overdosages of fluff - II

The Ride of Your Life

 

The two of you had bickered for at least fifteen minutes about who would pay the bill, forgetting about the poor waiter standing by the table feeling more awkward by the second.
 
"I earn more than you do-"
 
"But I was the one who asked you to come along-"
 
"I agreed, didn't I-?"
 
"Yeah, and in agreeing you agreed that I would pay-"
 
"That doesn't make any sense- no don't take his money, can't you tell he's being stupid-" you snapped, pushing the small black leather folder extended by the waiter away from Kris' hand and the bills clutched in it.
 
"Isn't the guy supposed to pay? How am I being stupid-?"
 
"Oh please don't tell me you still follow such archaic traditions-"
 
"I'm not following any traditions! It's called trying to be nice-"
 
"You know how you could be nice? By not acting like such a conservative uptight prick and letting me-"
 
The waiter rubbed his temples, contemplating which of his bad life decisions caused him to end up in this position.
 
 
--
 
 
You buried your head deeper into the loop of the scarf draped around your neck, trying your best to ignore the person walking beside you. In the end, the waiter had cut in almost hysterically to suggest that the two of you split the bill. Which would have been fine, if Kris hadn't pulled a fast one on you and slapped down the complete payment and a generous tip while you fumbled for your wallet. Needless to say, that stunt left you in a disgruntled mood.
 
The wind tousled your uncovered head with its chilly fingers and you shivered violently. You were going to kill Sooyoung for putting you in a skirt.
 
Kris glanced at you out of the corner of his eye, and was reminded of the morning at the track when you'd forgotten your jacket. He grinned slightly to himself at the memory before ing his coat.
 
You were so busy fuming to notice what he was doing until the heavy jacket was dropped around your shoulders, the fur-lined hood obscuring your vision when you tried to glare at him.
 
"What are y--"
 
"You'll catch a cold."
 
"But-"
 
"And I was thinking of getting a new coat anyway, since you decided to steal one already," he mused, glancing at the displays in the windows of the stores you were passing. You gaped at him, not understanding what he meant, then-
 
'Keep it at the track. You'll need it again.'
 
You blushed, and tried to shrug off the coat halfheartedly. Halfheartedly, because it was so very thick and heavy and warm and you really just wanted to snuggle even further into it. "I don't want this, at any rate-"
 
He turned to you, expression smug, as if he had been waiting for you to say those very words.
 
"Okay, so you're the one that needs a new jacket."
 
"Wait- what-!?" you didn't get anything else out before he half-dragged, half-steered you through the doors of the nearest clothing store.
 
The smiling saleslady greeted the two of you when you stepped inside - or rather, the salesgirl swept a calculating glance over you before beaming at Kris. 
 
"Good afternoon, welcome to SPAO. Can I help you with something? We just received a shipment of men's spring apparel-"
 
In contrast with your icy frown, Kris' expression was warm and charming when he replied. "Actually, I was--"
 
"Oh, or are you looking for something for your little sister?" her grin stretched wider by a few molars. "Our teens section is right this way, the spring collection arrived a few days ago-" 
 
You felt your face burn at the suggestion, and were about to set her straight with a few choice words when, to your surprise, Kris tugged you gently to him by the waist.
 
"Actually, my girlfriend is looking for some light outerwear. I'd rather her not have to suffer with my bad taste in clothing," he said smoothly, genial smile still firmly in place.
 
You would have probably slapped him and left right there and then if it weren't for the instant of disbelief and distaste that crossed the woman's face before she arranged her features into polite surprise. For some irrational reason, her disapproval of you and blatant passes at Kris ticked you off. So instead of socking him in the jaw, you giggled shyly and pressed closer to him.
 
"Oppa~, I like your jacket though- it's big and warm, like you~"
 
You felt vindictive pleasure at the tightening of the saleswoman's smile, and hugged Kris' midriff for extra measure, unaware of the fact that Kris had stiffened briefly and was currently moderating his breathing so as to not hyperventilate.
 
 
 
 
It was only a lifetime in the practice of masking his emotions that allowed Kris to keep himself together at that moment. As it was, he still felt electricity jolt up his spine at your unexpected words and actions.  Never, in his wildest imaginations, had he dreamed that you would deign to call him that, in that voice, and--
 
-okay maybe once or twice, and the accompanying situations usually resulted in him waking up to a very hard problem in his pants-- but back to the present situation.
 
Having reigned in his impulse to push you against the nearest stable surface ravish your sweetly smiling mouth, to hell with whoever was watching, he played along with admirable calmness.
 
"But baby, you'd look so much cuter with something that actually fits you," he chuckled lightly, his hand reaching up to tug back the gigantic hood that was devouring your head for emphasis.
 
You pouted at him childishly, eyes wide and a small frown creasing your forehead, and he cursed himself for donning skinny jeans that morning. "Does that mean you don't think I'm cute right now?"
 
'Somebody up there has a sick sense of humour,' he thought to himself wryly. He was saved from replying by a cough from the saleswoman. You turned to look at her, and he saw a tint of satisfied triumph in your gaze. Suddenly, he understood the reason behind your out-of-character actions.
 
"Uh, certainly! Right this way..."
 
You let go of his waist, but continued to cling onto his arm as the two of you followed the woman to the outerwear section. Kris felt the forced grin on his face slide to a more relaxed, genuine one as he dwelled on the small realization that made him feel as if someone had lit a small fire in his chest.
 
"We just received these new styles-" the saleswoman began, gesturing to an assortment of puffy, short down jackets hanging from the racks on the wall, but Kris cut her off with a blinding smile full of teeth that would have made Chanyeol proud.
 
"We'll be fine by ourselves, thank you." She stiffened at being so blatantly told off, but bowed lightly and retreated  to the front of the store nonetheless. 
 
He watched you glare after her, not releasing your grip on his arm, and couldn't help the snigger that escaped from between his lips. Your head immediately jerked back to look at him, and upon catching the smug epression on his face, all but shoved him away from you, your complacence giving away to embarassment, judging by the soft pink flush creeping up your face.
 
"Th-that-- don't-- it was--"
 
He said nothing while you spluttered, but reached out to remove his jacket from around you, only to have his hands slapped away. 
 
"I can do that by myself, thanks!" you huffed, turning away from him and not seeing his smirk. He turned his eyes on the displays of coats instead, the warmth in his chest not diminished at all by your harshness. If anything, he felt only more elated. Absentmindedly, he tugged a white fur-lined coat off its hanger, then found his vision obscured by a black bundle.
 
"Here's your stupid jacket back," you grumbled, not looking at him as you shoved said article of clothing in his face. His smirk widened and he raised an eyebrow, even though you couldn't see it, and extended the coat towards you in exchange. 
 
"Try this on."
 
You took it, but did not put it on. "Wait, are you actually serious about this? I don't need another coat-"
 
He sighed in exasperation. "You'll freeze otherwise - or would you rather wear mine?" 
 
You flushed at the teasing lilt in his question, but tugged the coat on reluctantly. "You ." 
 
Kris couldn't resist. "You shouldn't talk to your oppa like that."
 
Your hands froze in the middle of doing up the buttons, and your jaw dropped as you stared at him. Kris bit his lip to stop himself from bursting into laughter at your indignant expression.
 
"Y-you--oh my god--ugh!" you growled in frustration as you turned your back on him once more, ripping at the buttons you'd already buttoned, trying to shrug it off your shoulders before it was fully undone. 
 
Before he acknowledged what he was doing, he had already strode up behind you, had already wrapped his arms around you, had already covered your hands with his, halting your motions.
 
"Don't take it out on the merchandise, Jinhye-ssi," he murmured softly, staring down at the top of your head. To his delight, he felt you shiver against him.
 
"L-let go of me-"
 
"Do you not like this one?"
 
"Y-yes--I mean no--I mean yes I like it but-"
 
"You haven't even seen how it looks yet."
 
"W-well I can hardly do that with y-you like this, can I?!"
 
He hummed in reply, prying your hands away from the buttons and doing them up one by one, silently both grateful for and hating the thick red scarf still wrapped around your neck, which hung low enough to cover the majority of your chest. He wondered if you could feel the rapid thumping of his heart through your back. 
 
You remained frozen while he adjusted the coat, hands hanging limply at your sides, and when he turned you around, it was to find your cheeks stained a brilliant red. You stared back at him defiantly, chin jutted out, as if daring him to laugh.
 
"W-well?"
 
Kris kept his expression smooth, as if he was evaluating the outfit. In reality, he was working on coaxing his heart back to its usual position after it jumped to his throat. He coughed.
 
"Uh- it's. It's nice," he said hoarsely. He gestured to a nearby mirror. "Go see for yourself."
 
You ducked your head as you stumbled over in the direction he pointed, almost tripping over your feet as you did so, giving Kris some precious time alone to calm down and evaluate his jumbled emotions.
 
You were out of your element here, out of environment of the tracks, out of your usual persona their mentor. Here, stripped from the responsibilities and tension and violent undercurrents of the racing scene, you were almost vulnerable.
 
Back at the tracks, you were a reassuring presence to the team, emanating a cutting sort of confidence that screamed 'don't mess with me or any of them if you know what's good for you.' He, no matter how much he wanted to deny it, admired and respected that person as a standard, an example to strive towards.
 
Here, however, you lost that hard, impenetrable shell. Here, you were tentative and unsure and shy, but in childishly furious denial of all of that. Here, you were a small glimmer of innocent light, and Kris was caught between wanting to cage you in his arms and protecting that innocence for all he was worth and defiling, ravishing that purity without restraint.
 
That latter thought made him groan lowly with want.
 
Want. That was exact word. Despite the surface confliction of his affections, they all traced back to a vague desire - vague, but by no means small. He wanted, he wanted, he wanted, and he wanted only for himself. His thoughts trailed against his will to first Luhan, then (and he clenched his teeth at this) Jaejoong, and found himself becoming irrationally irritated. 
 
'If you like her, then fight for her.'
'Just...go with what you feel.'
 
He let out a long sigh. Well then. 
 
He turned to look at you, standing in front of the mirror. You gazed unsurely at your reflection, fiddling with the hem of the jacket, biting your lip as you turned this way and that. 
 
Well, fine then.
 
He reached your side in four strides, and gazed at the mirror as well. You looked up at him. "Um...I don't know..."
 
"I think you look beautiful."
 
You blinked, and the redness that was just beginning to fade from your cheeks came rushing back in full force. "Y-yah! Don't talk so bluntly like that!" You ducked your head, and made to punch him. He caught your wrist with ease with one hand, and reached to gently lift your chin with the other. He stared into your stunned, wide eyes, and smiled.
 
"Okay, you don't look beautiful," he replied, still smiling.
 
Hurt and confusion flashed behind your eyes, and you opened your mouth to retort, but he cut you off.
 
"You are beautiful."
 
Your mouth hung open in a small 'oh', words having lost their way. The fire in his chest burned as his eyes swept over your face, and for some reason he felt as if a weight had been lifted, a restriction removed.
 
His smile became even softer as he leaned down, not even knowing fully what he was doing or why, but just following his impulse. His eyes became hooded, only half-open as he drew closer to you. You mirrored his actions, eyes slowly shutting completely. The hand at your chin moved to cup your cheek, and he felt his heart jump when you leaned into it slightly.
 
He paused for a second,  taking in your completely open and unguarded expression, and sighed internally.
 
Your eyes shot open in surprise when his lips touched your forehead. You stared up at him in confusion and something he didn't dare hope to be...disappointment?
 
Before you could say anything, he backed away. 
 
"I'll be just a second," he said huskily, striding over to the cashier. It was a mark of how stunned you were that you did not follow him.
 
While the middle-aged woman behind the register rang up his purchase, he thought about what he did, and was surprised with himself. Why didn't he just kiss you then? You were obviously not against it- yet something in his mind told him to stop.
 
No, not to just stop. To wait. But for what? What was he waiting for? He had never felt the need to wait for anything before, least of all a woman. He had never waited for all of the others he'd been with - never needed to wait. If they were unwilling, he had always merely turned somewhere else. 
 
And yet, for you, he wanted to wait? For what? For you to call him yours--?
 
Oh.
 
Some of the turmoil he felt must have shown on his face, because the woman handing him the reciept smiled kindly at him. 
 
"The two of you make a very nice couple."
 
He looked up at her incredulously, and she laughed.
 
"Oh come now, at my age, I know love when I see it."
 
"We're not..."
 
"Still in the process of figuring it out, eh?"
 
Suddenly, perhaps it was because he wasn't used to himself being read so well, but Kris felt so very young and inexperienced under the woman's knowing gaze. She reached out and patted his hand reassuringly.
 
"Don't worry, it'll work out. Just take care of each other."
 
He made a noncomittal noise and bowed slightly, turning to see you waiting nervously for him by the entrance.
 
When he felt himself smiling and his heart lifting inexplicably at your expression, he couldn't help but chuckle in defeat.
 
What he felt for you was not simply want. That was why he had wanted to wait. He had wanted to wait because he didn't want to put any pressure on you to feel compelled to be with him in a shallow way. He didn't want just a one-time . He wanted you to want to kiss him, not as in a spur-of-the-moment thing. He wanted you to sort out your feelings for him, and he was willing to wait.
 
He was willing to wait, because he loved you.
 
 
 
--
 
tumblr_m54w3fyMBI1qbdiz7o1_r1_500.png
tumblr_mdidua1Wpo1qbdiz7o1_500.png
tumblr_mdidua1Wpo1qbdiz7o2_500.png
tumblr_mdjn7byHqX1r2fx5po1_500.jpg
tumblr_maxrp5Ukg11qi1uc0o1_500.jpg
tumblr_mdg8rgv5271qbj7oho1_500.png
 
I hope that was long enough to convey my apologies for my disappearance. OTL OTL OTL University is not kind at all OTL
Anyway! I'm really tired and don't want to look over that again, so excuse all my mistakes OTL 
I still feel like it was awkward in some places, so feel free to give me recommendations! :3
blame my cpop ballad playlist for this word vomit omg what did I write holy I feel like I just completely wrecked the story orz orz orz also there's so much fluff I didn't plan for it to be this loNG!??!? I feel like I need at least another or two more chapters to finish this part off. >_>
 
As always, comments and subscriptions are adored! :)
 
tumblr_m6ithv5d6u1rnuo84o1_500.gif
 

- Ace