Off-Case

The Royal Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 50: Off-Case

 

“The search for South Korea’s royalty has taken the world by storm. After nearly three weeks of investigation there was no lead on the whereabouts of our three victims, or the culprit behind their disappearance – there was only speculation that Siwon Choi, friend of the royal family, was being looked into and was a prime suspect. But just three days ago, a huge find was made. Prince Donghae Lee was found here, on Troon Beach, Scotland, seemingly washed up on the shore. Locals spotted him and immediately got into contact with the police. And then, staggeringly, just a day later, Jay Park, heir to Park Industries, was found in similar circumstances, not too far away on the Irish beach of Inchydoney. We have received word that neither of them have sustained any serious injuries, and are both back home in South Korea under tight surveillance.  

“The South Korean royalty themselves have yet to give a statement on the matter – they have remained silent over the course of the investigation. But let’s move over to Inchydoney beach, where our correspondent will fill us in on what’s going on over there -”

“I thought I told you that watching the news was only going to stress you out, Miyoung-ah.” My father leans in the doorway of my office wearing a navy suit, a blue shirt and a black tie that I’m sure my mother bought for him. I look over and note the fact that he looks rather lonely without her by his side.

“I know.” I say softly. I lift the remote in my hand, and turn the TV off. The room falls quiet as the screen fades to black.

He takes another step in. “Have you seen Jay yet?”

I shake my head. “I went and saw Donghae the other day, before they found Jay, but I haven’t been back to the hospital since. How are they both?”

He shrugs and gazes out of the window, looking tall as he sinks his hands into his trouser pockets. “Their injuries aren’t serious, but there are a lot of them. They’ll be in recovery for a while. But Doctor Shim says they’ll be fine.”

I nod slowly, looking down at the forgotten pen in my hand. I cap it. “Good.”

It falls quiet for a moment, and we both listen intently to the traffic whirring outside of this stagnant room.

“Fany-ah,”

I look up at him, and he smiles gently – the lines on his face deepening.

“Come take a walk with me.” He says, holding out his hand. “It’s been a long while since we’ve spent any time together.”

I link my arm through his and he leads me slowly and surely down to the end of the hall, to a balcony that I pass everyday but have never stood on. He breathes in deep as our arms uncross and the wind tousles his greying hair gently - the sky pale and bare behind him.

Neither of us say anything for a little while, settling our arms upon the cold, metal railing, our eyes looking out at the vast expanse of buildings and roads and lives moving on.

“In the light of things that have happened recently and in the last year or so, I’ve been thinking a lot about our relationship as father and daughter.” He says, squinting his eyes out at the view. “I’ve not been very good to you, have I, Miyoung-ah?”

I look away from him and down at the railing beneath my forearms and shake my head in denial. “Dad, don’t say that.”

“I think it needs to be said.” His voice drops a little. “I always paid much more attention to Michelle than I did you. Seeing how great you’ve been dealing with all of this has made me realise how much I’ve missed of your growing into the fine young woman you are today.” He pauses briefly. “And I’m so proud of you, Tiffany. I really am.”

I stay staring down at my arms, not having possession of enough words to formulate something to say.

He sighs. “I just-…I’ve been so blind all these years. I was so focused on making sure that Michelle was ready to take the throne, that the business was thriving, that everything else was stable…I lost sight of what was truly important. I forgot about my own family…especially you. And I’m really sorry for that.”

I place a hand on his shoulder and scoot closer to him, car horns sounding out from below. “Dad…You’re…” I pause and exhale. “Dad, you’re an amazing man. You were just trying your best, and mistakes will always be made no matter how hard you try. Maybe I was a little bitter before, but…I’ve grown so much in these past couple of years, especially since Taeyeon came along. I’m not angry anymore.”

He circles his arms around me and pulls me close, pressing his rough lips to my head - firm and gentle. “Your mother would be so proud.” He says softly, against the wind.

My throat tightens, and I attempt to swallow down the rising lump. I squeeze my eyes shut, tired of crying.

“I’m sorry you’ve had to go through all of this.” He says quietly, his thick arms tensing around me.

I can do nothing but sink deeper into his hold.

 

 

 

* * *

 

 

 

The heart monitor beeps out into the quiet room. I watch by the doorway as the nurse adjusts the equipment hanging around his bedframe. She bows as she leaves, while I push on a half-hearted smile.

His eyes remain closed as I approach.

Neither him nor Donghae had sustained any serious injuries – a broken bone here, a nasty gash there. But all in all, they’re okay. Finding them sparked a search along shorelines, but Taeyeon was nowhere to be seen.

Two found, but my love still missing.

I pull a chair closer to the bed, and the noise causes him to stir. I sit slowly as his lids lift, dark eyes looking bleary and exhausted.

He gives a weak smile to me before rubbing at his eye.

“Fany,”

“Jay,”

“Hi,”

“Hi.”

He continues to rub at his face for a moment, wiping away the sleep, before the nurse comes in again. I quietly observe as she helps sit him up properly. She checks the cast and sling supporting his right arm, before settling a tray of food on the over-bed table and asking him a few questions. She leaves again, and Jay looks at me the exact way he used to when we were kids, back in America, laying side-by-side under the beach’s moon.

“You came.” He said after a moment.

I’d been delaying my visit for a few days, because coming and seeing him battered and bruised would mean that the situation was very real, and sometimes pretending was easier.

“I’m sorry that I didn’t come straight away-“

He shakes his head, with a small upward curve of his lips. “It’s fine. You’re here now. That’s all that matters.”

I look away from him for a moment, swallowing down and lacing my fingers together. “How are you feeling?”

“I’ve been better.” He jokes lightly. “But I’m alive, so it could definitely be worse.”
“How bad is the damage?”

He shrugs. “A broken arm, fractured ankle, a little bruising to my ribs, a nasty cut on my back and there’s bruises everywhere - I feel like I’ve been someone’s human punching bag for the last three weeks, but…I’m okay.”

He tries to laugh but it fades from his throat quickly.

“I’m just glad that I’m back here now.”

“What…” I clear my throat, wetting my lips. “What…happened, exactly?”

He shakes his head, his teeth digging into his bottom lip. “I don’t even know. One moment we’re in Berlin, at the chancellor’s office, the next, it’s just…black.”

“You don’t remember anything?”

“We were heavily drugged nearly all the time and when we weren’t, we were blindfolded.” His jaw clenches. “I have no idea how any of it happened…why any of it happened…”

“Jay…“ I begin, but find that I don’t know what to say.

“You don’t have to say anything. I still don’t even know what to say.”

 “I don’t think anyone does, to be honest.” There’s a pause before I stand and walk around to the other side of the bed. “You want some water?”

“Please,” He watches as I pour from the clear plastic jug into two plastic cups.

I hand it to him before picking up my own.

“Siwon…is he…have you spoken to him?” He asks suddenly when I take my seat again.

“Have you been watching the news?”

“No,” He answers, sipping down some water, then staring down into his flimsy cup with dedicated concentration. “Watching it makes me feel sick.” He breathes before looking up at me again. “But there have been whispers about him around the hospital. Your dad was going to tell me, but was called to attend to other matters before he could.”

I nod slowly. “Well…Siwon…he’s the prime suspect in the investigation.”

Jay looks up at me quickly with wide eyes. “What…? W-why?”

“He lied.” I state. “He said that he was in Paris the night you guys went missing.”

“But why would he-“

“He said he was scared. His bad relationship with Taeyeon and his position of power gave him the motivation and the means to carry out the whole operation…well, in the eyes of the police that is. And bei

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter