Doe-Eyes

The Royal Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 26: Doe-Eyes

 

The sunlight hit me directly in the face, making me stir from my deep slumber. I yawned as I sat up and stretched my tight muscles. I rubbed my eye sleepily before looking over to my sleeping Taeyeon, who was still in her own dreamland.

Her gentle snores filled the quiet space as the sun shone through the curtains, giving the room an orange tinge of colour.

I leaned on my elbows as I examined her sleeping expression.  She is seriously just too cute! I thought as I brushed away the stray hairs on her face behind her ear. How did I end up with someone as amazing as her?

I thought back to when I first met Taeyeon on that fateful day in the throne room. At that point I hated my parents, my grandmother, my sister and even Taeyeon, who had done nothing wrong. I used to have a cold exterior that no one could seem to break, not my family or friends, but as soon as I got to know Taeyeon, I melted like ice cream on a hot summer’s day.

I gently traced Taeyeon’s perfect features with my index finger. From the ridge of her eyebrows, around her forehead, down the bridge to the tip of her nose, circling her chipmunk-like cheeks, and finally landing on her soft lips.

I remembered our first date and how Taeyeon had caught me when I nearly fell off of my bike. Then when I saw Taeyeon’s real personality for the first time, as we watched the sunset and ate a picnic together. To that night at Siwon’s yacht party and how a simple piece of old battered jewellery became one of my most prized possessions. When I nearly lost all of my innocence, but my prince came to my rescue. When I had to speak in front of all those reporters, not knowing what to say, I was about to crumble like an ancient ruin, but Kim Taeyeon became the cement and kept me together. Even when I began to doubt myself, thinking that I was the failure of the family. But, luckily, I had my dorky Taengoo to wash all my worries and concerns away like a calm wave of water.

Taeyeon will always be my knight in shining armour, then, now and forever.

I knew that Taeyeon was my one and only, since I could picture a perfect future with her - a family, kids, a career, all of which included Taeyeon being at my side. And in all honestly, I couldn’t wait to see what the future held for us as a couple.

I leaned forward and placed a kiss on her lips. I was surprised when I felt Taeyeon responding back, moving her lips in sync with mine. It was a simple kiss and after a few seconds we both pulled away reluctantly.

“Morning, Miyoung-ah.” Taeyeon said as she stretched and yawned.

I smiled instantly. “Morning.” I said sweetly as I snuggled into Taeyeon’s side even more.

“Have you got anything to do today?” Taeyeon asked as she my arm slowly.

I thought for moment before answering. “Besides from looking after you, nothing.”

I inhaled Taeyeon’s scent and it gave me a sense of security, as if Taeyeon’s embrace was an invisible shield that made us untouchable.

I sank into her warmth more, feeling intoxicated by the comfort she was providing me.

“Will you be okay in the shower by yourself?” I asked. I looked up to find her nodding her head confidently.

Taeyeon was only taken out of the hospital yesterday morning, where she had the help of several nurses when doing certain things that included taking a shower. But Taeyeon assured me that she would be fine by herself.

 

* * *

 

“If you need me, just call.” I smiled as Taeyeon closed the bathroom door. I was worried that Taeyeon might hurt herself or something, but I still needed to let Taeyeon be independent.

30 minutes passed and I began to worry.

“Taeyeon, are you okay?” I asked from outside the bathroom door. I got no reply, and decided it was best just to go inside. “Taeyeon?”

“Yah! Fany-ah!”

I walked in, my eyes widening when I saw Taeyeon wearing only a pair of shorts, nothing else. Her back was facing me, so I didn’t actually see much. I covered my mouth as I saw the burn marks that blemished her skin.

It was my fault. She had those burns because of me. I wave of guilt flushed over me, as I walked further into the bathroom.

“Let me help you.” I said softly, making my over to her.

“It’s okay. I can to do it myself.” She insisted, with her back to still facing me.

I shook my head, not that she could see. It was my fault, so I had to help her get better. “Please, just let me help you.” I pressed.

She sighed in defeat. “Okay.”

I was now standing right behind her, getting a better view of her back. The burns looked a lot worse close up. I gently glided my fingers over the marks. I wish it was me who got hit by that flaming bottle, I wish it was me who got hit by that bullet. Why did she have to come and save me?

Of course, I was grateful for the fact that she saved me, but that bottle wasn’t meant for her nor was the bullet. I should be the one feeling the pain she was feeling right now.

I picked up the cream that was prescribed to remove the burn marks. She tensed as I began to smear the cream over her back. It must have been painful. Tears brimmed my eyes as she tensed even tighter as put more cream on her. This should’ve been me.

I suppressed my sobs by biting my tongue, but I couldn’t stop the gravity as my tears fell.

I finished rubbing the cream onto her burns, as I screwed the lid back onto the tub. I put it back on to the counter and reached for the clean bandages.

“You do the front and I’ll help do the back.” I said quietly, because if I made my voice any louder, I would’ve broken down in front of her.

I remained behind her as I began to bandage her up. We had to bandage her chest and her injured shoulder up. After a few minutes we had successfully bandaged her chest, I moved to her shoulder. I didn’t want her to see that I was crying, so I made sure I stayed behind her. I saw the stitches from where the bullet penetrated her body. More tears fell.

I secured the last bandage and back hugged her, resting my head in between her shoulder blades.

“I’m so sorry, Taeyeon.” I was no longer able to hold it in any longer as I began to sob uncontrollably.

She immediately turned around and used her good arm to pull me into her embrace. “Tiffany...why are you crying?” She asked calmly as she rubbed my back. I used my hands to cover my face, not wanting her to see me cry.

She sighed as I felt her guide me out of the bathroom. She sat me down on the bed and put her strong arm around me, pulling me closer as I cried into her shoulder.

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon...I’m sorry...” I repeated, as the guilt overwhelmed me.

“Wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter