Chen/Chanyeol

Hipster Exo Drabbles

 

                “So, Jongdae,” Yixing said, sitting down next to Jongdae. Jongdae eyed him suspiciously. “So, how do you feel about Chanyeol?”

                “Why?” Jongdae asked, and Yixing waved him off.

                “Answer the question. How do you feel about Chanyeol?” Yixing persisted. Jongdae had never given much thought to Chanyeol. Promoting in different countries meant that they didn’t have much time to interact, and Jongdae had never been close with him. He was handsome, sure, and he seemed pretty nice, but Jongdae had already overlooked him because of random reasons.

                “He’s alright, I guess,” Jongdae replied. “Why?” Yixing smiled brightly.

                “Oh, nothing,” he sang, scampering off to who knows where. Jongdae turned back to the book he’d been reading and forgot all about Yixing’s weird questions, because honestly, he was usually like that.

                It was two weeks later when Yixing managed to sidle up to Jongdae again.

                “Jongdae,” Yixing said. Jongdae eyed him suspiciously once again. “Guess what?”

                “What?” Jongdae asked.

                “Something good is going to happen to you soon,” he said in a gooey voice. Jongdae wasn’t stupid, and he hadn’t forgotten about their conversation enough to forget that Yixing loved to play matchmaker. But he didn’t want to assume anything either.

                “Is it a big good thing, or a little good thing? Like, in comparison to other good things, is it like winning a billion won or is it more like a cookie? If it’s anything more than a cookie, I don’t want it.”

                “It’s like a cookie,” Yixing replied, and Jongdae was reassured for the most part. He’d expected this reassurance to stick.

                It didn’t. The next week, Yixing took him out for bubble tea, which wasn’t a strange occurrence considering they did that sort of thing quite a bit. What was strange was the way Yixing acted that day.

                “Oh, I can’t find my phone,” Jongdae sighed. “I guess I’ll just go without it.”

                “No!” Yixing cried. “Go find it.”

                “It’ll take too long,” Jongdae whined, but Yixing wasn’t hearing any of it. Jongdae muttered to himself as he went to go find his phone, and he mused that it was a little weird that Yixing was so adamant that he bring his phone with him.

                At the bubble tea shop, they were sitting outside, talking to each other like good friends do when suddenly Jongdae’s phone rang. He looked at the number and it was unfamiliar to him.

                “Who is it?” Yixing asked, more interested than he normally was. Jongdae looked at him.

                “I don’t know.”

                “Pick it up!”

                “No, I’m not going to pick up for a number I don’t know.”

                “Why not?”

                “Because I don’t know who it is,” Jongdae replied. The phone stopped ringing and Yixing looked disgruntled. “Why are you so into this? Do you know who it is?”

                “No,” Yixing replied a little too quickly.

                “Okay , then.” He pocketed his phone and resumed his conversation with Yixing. Yixing looked troubled the entire time they talked, and Jongdae was about ready to leave before his phone rang again.

                “It’s that same number,” Jongdae sighed, poising to replace the phone in his pocket when Yixing caught his arm.

                “No, wait, I think I know who it is.”

                “Who is it?” Jongdae asked.

                “Just pick it up. Come on, trust me. We’re friends. Trust me.” Jongdae sighed. He pressed the talk button on his phone just as Yixing went inside the shop.

                “Hello?” he asked absentmindedly, wondering why Yixing had suddenly disappeared.

                “Hi, Jongdae,” a deep voice on the other end said. Even though he didn’t have much interaction with him, there was no mistaking Chanyeol’s distinctive voice.

                “Oh, hi, Chanyeol,” Jongdae said slowly, marching into the shop about ready to strangle Yixing. Yixing must have figured it would happen because he was nowhere to be found.

                “So, uh, Jongdae…I know this might be a little weird but I’ve been working up the courage to ask you this for a long time and I was finally able to today, so uh…will you…will you go out with me?” Chanyeol asked. Jongdae’s heart sped up and he was fairly sure it was just due to shock and nothing else. Fairly sure.

                But Jongdae had always been a nice guy. He didn’t want to have to reject Chanyeol, who’d just worked up the courage to call him and ask him out.

                “Okay,” Jongdae replied.

               “A-awesome! So…can we meet at like three at that Chinese restaurant near the dorm tomorrow?” Chanyeol asked.

                “Sure,” Jongdae replied, still searching for Yixing so he could kill him. “I have to go now.”

                “Oh, okay!” Chanyeol said, sounding surprisingly happy. “Bye!”

                “Bye.” He stuck the phone in his pocket and Yixing emerged from the men’s room, grinning from ear to ear. “That was nothing like a cookie,” Jongdae informed him, but Yixing wouldn’t stop smiling.

                “So? What’d you say?” he asked, and Jongdae heaved a sigh.

                “Yes, but—”

                “Ah, I’m so happy for you!” Yixing cried. “This is great. And your first date is tomorrow!”

                Jongdae gulped. Yixing was right. His first date with Chanyeol of all people was tomorrow.



 

 

                Jongdae didn’t want to act like a teenage girl, but he couldn’t help but try to look nice. Wu Fan helped him with his skin and helped him get dressed nicely, but Jongdae was practically shaking with anxiety the entire time.

                “Don’t worry,” Wu Fan said, “you’ll be fine.”

                “I don’t even like him though!” Jongdae cried. “Yixing forced him on me!”

                “Either learn to like him or break up with him,” Wu Fan said. “You have the choice.”

                “No, the choice is be brave or be a coward,” Jongdae muttered. Wu Fan sighed.

                “I think you and I have different ideas of what it means to be a coward,” he said, “and I think that it’s going to work in my favor. Anyway, Taozi will probably owe me ten thousand won after today.”

                “What?”

                “I said ‘fighting!’ Now go on your date, and have fun. Don’t think about how you’re dating and stuff and just chat. Maybe you’ll like him.”

                With that, he sent Jongdae on his merry way.

                He met Chanyeol at the Chinese restaurant, and even he couldn’t deny that Chanyeol looked dashing.

                “Hi,” Chanyeol said. “I’m happy you came!”

                “I’m…happy I came too,” Jongdae said tentatively, and Chanyeol smiled enormously. Jongdae liked that smile. He liked it a lot.

                In fact, he liked it so much that he kept saying whatever he could to elicit that smile from Chanyeol throughout their meal. It was addicting almost, to see those bright teeth and Chanyeol’s cute lopsided eyesmile. And when he got a laugh, a deep, hearty laugh, that was when Jongdae found himself smiling too.

                “Yah, that was good,” Chanyeol sighed, patting his stomach after having polished off a huge bowl of jjajangmyeon. “I’m so glad we did this.”

                “Uh,” Jongdae started nervously. “Actually, Chanyeol, I have something to tell you.”

                “What is it?” Chanyeol asked, his deep brown eyes twinkling.

                “To be completely honest, Yixing sort of pushed this on me. This. Us. I didn’t want to go out with you, but he was really adamant on it. And I came here today with the intention of telling you at the end of our meal that it was all a big mistake.”

                “Oh,” Chanyeol’s voice cracked.

                “But I’m not going to,” Jongdae said hurriedly. “Because despite all that…I had a really good time. I…I like your smile.”

                Chanyeol grinned on cue and Jongdae smiled as well.

                “So it wasn’t all a big mistake, then?” Chanyeol asked.

                “It was,” Jongdae shook his head, “but it doesn’t feel like one.”

                “So would it be a mistake for me to ask you if you wanted to do this again tomorrow?” Chanyeol wondered, and Jongdae laughed.

                “No,” he replied. “I’d be happy to do this again tomorrow.”

                Chanyeol dropped Jongdae off at his dorm with a huge smile on his face, thanking him for such an excellent time. Jongdae entered the dorm to see all the other members in the living room, where Zitao was handing Wu Fan ten thousand won and Yixing and Luhan were giggling like little girls.

                “How was it?” Yixing asked. Jongdae smiled.

                “Better than a cookie.”

Not sure if this can be called a drabble since it's longer than some oneshots I've written, but eh. It was fun and easy to write~

Remember to request!!