Ch 9

Good and Evil

 

'Come Xiao Yu,eat this,'Joey said,putting some vegetables into his bowl. 'It's healthy for you.'

'Oh. Thanks,' Xiao Yu said,embarrassed by the attention. Joey had been travelling with Xiao Yu and Ah Sa for a week now. Ah Sa looked at them. They were so close. So close to the point that Ah Sa sometimes felt like she didn't exists or she was a lonely audience watching a show that revolved around the two of them. Loneliness and sadness overwhelmed her and she rose from her seat,excused herself from the table and walked away from them. She couldn't bear to see them so close like that a moment longer.

'Joey,'a voice suddenly said in her mind. She knew that only one person had the ability to do that.

'Yes master?'

'Take action tonight.'

'Yes,master.'

(That night,at the camping site)

 

'Xiao Yu, can I talk to you for a while?' She dragged Xiao Yu away to a place that was still within Ah Sa's hearing range.

'I love you' Ah Sa heard Joey say. Her heart broke when she heard that. She should have known. They were so close of course they would be together. She trudged away in despair. She was surprised at herself. Since when did she care so much about Xiao Yu?But her heart was shattering and that was a fact. She loved Xiao Yu,she now realized.

'Huh?What!'Xiao Yu replied,shocked by Joey's sudden confession.' I'm ...I'm sorry. I...I don't feel same way. I always thought of you as a friend,'he apologised. Joey stared long and hard into his eyes. Xiao Yu felt uncomfortable and he didn't know where to look. Why was she looking at him like that?

'You love her,'she suddenly said.

'Wha...What!What are you talking about?'

'You love Ah Sa,'Joey said carefully.

'Pft! Don't joke aroud. Its not funny,'Xiao Yu replied nervously.

'You do. Its obvious. Your eyes can't lie. They shine whenever Ah Sa is mentioned and are filled with your love for her,'Joey said matter-of-factly.

'I...I...'Xiao Yu was at a loss for words.

'Xiao Yu go and find Ah Sa right this very instant.She is in danger.Go!'Joey commanded,pushing Xiao Yu towards the direction Ah Sa had gone.

Meanwhile,as Ah Sa walked away from the campsite,she experienced heartache and sadness as she remembered Joey's words to Xiao Yu. This was pain. This was real pain and this was the second time she was experiencing it.The first time she had experienced it was when she received news of her parents' death. All the pain she had ever felt in her life from cuts,fights could never compare to this sort of pain. But of course how could it?All the pain she had felt from fights,cuts had merely been pain inflicted on the body. But this sort of pain,real pain,was pain inflicted on the heart. And it hurt,it really hurt. Suddenly,she felt a bulk of immense power descend on her and she felt agonizing pain,as if she was being torn apart. She doubled over in pain and tried to fight back. But it was no use,that power was just to strong and her powers suddenly felt strange;she couldn't control them.

Xiao Yu felt confused. What did Joey mean?How could Ah Sa be in danger?She was so strong...He smiled as he remembered how beautiful and gracefulshe had been while fighting the demon that had attacked Joey;how he had been struck by her beauty. As he was,he suddenly saw a bulk of light descending from the sky,lighting up the whole sky for miles around in dark green. Such power...immense power...Ah Sa...He broke into a run as he realized this was the danger that Joey talked about. He ran as fast as he could and as he neared, he saw Ah Sa bent over in pain,struggling to fight the immense power that had settled over and around her. His heart ached to see her in such pain. He rushed forward and without hesitating,threw himself over her, protecting her from the immense power that was threatening to steal her away from him. He felt the pain the moment he threw himself over her. That sort of searing pain was strong but he held on,held on for her...for her. 'I do love her,'he realized. I  do...Suddenly,he felt her buckle under him. Even though he was taking most of the attack,the pressure was still affecting her already weak body. He felt a sudden burst of anger towards the owner of the power-anger that was stronger than any he had felt before.'How dare someone do this to Ah Sa! How dare he hurt her!'Xiao Yu thought. A sudden burst of power erupted from Xiao Yu, hitting the sky. Suddenly,the immense power disappeared and the sky returned to its normal colour.

Xiao Yu looked at Ah Sa worriedly. 'How...How did you do that?'Ah Sa enquired weakly.

'I don't know,'Xiao Yu replied,propping her up with one arm. Ah Sa smiled before coughing out a mouth of blood,before fainting in Xiao Yu's arms.