Ch 15

Good and Evil

 

As they were trudging up the path leading to the old woman's cave, Ah Sa tripped over a root of a nearby tree, which was protruding out of the ground. At the last second, Xiao Yu caught her by the arm and at that moment, their eyes locked and their faces were but one inch away. As if an invisible force was pulling at them, their faces moved closer and closer and their lips were almost touching when Ah Sa realised what she was doing. Her closed eyes snapped open and she pushed herself away from him, taking off to the trees the moment she could. Xiao Yu stared, confused, at Ah Sa's disappearing figure. Wild thoughts started passing through his mind. What had just happened? Had he done something wrong? Why did she push him away? Did she not love him anymore?

Ah Sa ran and ran until she stumbled to the ground, having run out of energy. She cried. Big, fat tears rolled down her cheeks, tears of unhappines, great unhappiness. She couldn't be with Xiao Yu. She just couldn't. No matter how much she wanted to. But it hurt to reject, to push him away. Her tears flowed more freely as she remembered the baffled and hurt expression that had adorned his face after she pushed him away. ' I'm sorry, Xiao Yu,' she said, in between sobs.

' Where is she?' Xiao Yu asked himself as he paced to and fro in front of the fire he had made. Ah Sa had seemed so troubled, he knew she would have a lot to think about. So he had prepared himself to wait. But this was too much. She had already been gone for 3 hours and he was starting to get worried. ' What if something happens to her? No, I must go and look for her,' he told himself. He rushed into the trees that Ah Sa had disappeared into earlier. Xiao Yu searched frantically to no avail, getting more and more worried as time passed. 'Where is she?' he thought, breaking into a run. After ages of running but still not spotting Ah Sa, Xiao Yu stopped and leaned against a tree. He was panting heavily and his whole body was drenched in sweat when he noticed a figure, dressed in white, slumped against the trunk of a nearby tree. He immediately thought of Ah Sa. Ah Sa always wore white, that he knew. Rushing towards the figure, he saw that the figure was indeed Ah Sa. He smiled in relief as he looked upon her angelic, sleeping face. How silly he was to think she was in trouble when here she was, sleeping so soundly. She was afterall, a martial arts expert. Of course she could take care of herself. He smiled at his own foolishness as he scooped Ah Sa into his arms and carried her out of the trees.

Ah Sa opened her eyes and looked around her. 'Why am I here? Wasn't I in the mini forest?' she wondered.       'You were. But I found you sleeping inside so I carried you out,' Xiao Yu answered.                                          'Oh.' She hadn't realized she had spoken her thoughts out loud. Wait...had he just said carried? So those arms she felt carrying her were Xiao Yu's. She blushed as she thought of herself in Xiao Yu's arms.                                    Xiao Yu looked at Ah Sa. There were so many questions he wanted to ask her. Why had she pushed him away? Didn't she love him anymore? All these questions were burdening him. What if she didn't love him anymore? The many questions were driving him crazy. He had a overwhelming urge to ask her all those questions, to let go of all his confused emotions. He wanted answers. But he remembered how troubled and helpless she had looked and knew that Ah Sa had enough troubles and burdens of her own. Not wanting to trouble her further, he kept those questions to himself.

The next afternoon, they finally arrived at the old woman's cave. 'This the one?' Xiao Yu asked.                           'Should be. Its the only one in sight. Be careful. There might be traps,' Ah Sa warned.