Ch 14

Good and Evil

 

The sound of water flowing and gently lapping against rocks were getting louder. Ah Sa and Xiao Yu could smell the smell of the river in the air. They made their way carefully and finally found the entrance to the river that was cunningly hidden behind what looked like a hall.
'Careful,' Xiao Yu said as he helped Ah Sa into the river. They waded through the river, almost falling on several occasions due to the  slippery river bed. The blackness of the cave the river was in lasted, lasted for too long when finally, they saw a beam of light shining through.
'I see light!' Ah Sa announced in delight. Xiao Yu smiled brightly. How lovely it was to see light again. He now realized what a wonderful thing light was. It was always very funny how people always took things for granted, how they only knew how to treasure what they had after they had lost it. Ah Sa and Xiao finally emerged into full sunlight as they waded out of the river.

'Hey, the temples are just behind us,' Ah Sa discovered. Xiao Yu looked behind them and found out that what Ah Sa had said was true.

'So we've just been wading around in a river that winds around in a temple?' Xiao Yu commented sarcastically. ' What sort of nonsense is this?' Xiao Yu exclaimed,throwing his hands up in the air in exasperation. they had been wading in the treacherous river for what felt like hours and were now exhausted. Fatigue rested upon them, weighing them down. They collasped on the grass.

'Well, at least we made it out alive,' Ah Sa said positively. Xiao Yu smiled a grim smile.

'Where do we go from here?'he asked. Ah Sa pointed uphill. They trudged wearily up the hill until they reached a gazebo in which a young man stood in. They were about to walk past the gazebo when they heard a voice say,' The two of you, please stop.' With confused expressions on their faces, they turned expectantly to the young man who had spoken and were amazed to see the two young men were twins.

'Everything really are twins here,' Xiao Yu thought.

' Both of you are going to see the old wise woman right?' one of the young men asked.

They nodded. Both young men smiled. Then one of them said,' Well, no cheating. If you want to go see the wise old woman, then you will have to go through my test of knowledge first.'

' Test?'

'Yeah. Didn't you pass the test of martial arts, hearing and perseverance in order to come this far?' Now it was the young man's turn to be confused.

'So it was all a test,' Xiao Yu thought. ' The ninjas, the arrows, the river...everything.'

'No wonder something bad always happens to the people who come here. They are all hurt because of these tests...or what comes later,' Ah Sa thought.

Xiao Yu smiled and asked calmly,' Where do we take this test of knowledge?' The young men gestured for them to come into the gazebo and when they had walked in they learned how the system worked.

' This is how it works. I will be asking you questions and if you answer all, save for 2 correctly, you will be allowed to continue searching for the old woman otherwise, you will have to go back down the mountain,' one of the 2 young men instructed. Ah Sa and Xiao Yu nodded gravely. 'Then lets proceed. First question: Is it true that  Great White sharks rinse their stomachs? If they do, how?' Ah Sa smiled. This was easy. She knew the answer to this when she was 11.

'They rinse their stomachs in the sea by vomitting them out.' Xiao Yu gaped at Ah Sa in shock.

'How did you know that?' he asked.

'Animals have always been my interest,' Ah Sa explained. Xiao Yu nodded understandingly. She likes animals? Had to take a mental note on that.

' Correct. Now for the second question,' the other young man said. 'Why is the blue ringed octopus named the blue ringed octopus?' Ah Sa immediately answered his question while Xiao Yu just stood there wondering if he had been transported into an alien world. Blue ringed octopus? What are they talking about?

'It is named the blue ringed octopus because blue rings appear on its skin when it is angry and about to deliver a bite,' he heard Ah Sa say.

' Then why is it a dangerous species of octopus?' the young man challenged.

' Because it has enough poison in its body to kill 26 people and if the bite is lethal, those poisoned by it will die within 30 seconds after they have been stung,' Ah Sa said without hestitation. Xiao Yu looked at her in awe. How did she know all these? ' And the amazing thing is that its smaller than a human's fist,' Ah Sa added. The young man smiled brightly. ' Finally! Someone worthy of this challenge!'

Ah Sa smiled at his childish enthusiasm. 'Any more questions?'

' Yes, two more. How many bones does an average human have in their body and what is the smallest bone in a human's body?'

She hestitated. ' Its the bone in a human's ear that aids hearing and is only 3.3mm long. It is called the stapes or stirrup.'

Silence hung in the air. 'How does she remeber so many facts?' Xiao Yu wondered. ' She really does have brains,' he thought as he looked at her lovingly.

'Bravo!' the 2 young men exclaimed simultaneously, breaking the silence. ' You may continue your journey. Walk 5 miles up this path until you reach a cave. The wise old woman is there,' they said as they pointed up a path.

' Thank you,' Ah Sa said, flashing them a smile.

 

comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sry i took so long to update. exams coming sigh