Piece 015: Like Being Hit by A Cannonball

Jigsaw
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The two figures suddenly halted in front of a colourful piece. To those who didn’t have any sense of art, they might say that it’s just a mere painting, pointless and plain. But to Kim Dohyun, the proud smile that slowly curled on his lips showed that the piece of canvas meant a lot more than just a painted abstract.

‘Tell me, Sir –‘

 

‘This, my bright lad, is my most cherished piece. I called it ‘Plains.’ The man said excitedly, immersing in his own world. Myungsoo only squinted at the painting, eyeing it casually once and looked away. To him, the dark green lines were just meaningless smudges, nothing more.

 

‘Okay, I’ll take it. Now, tell me –‘

Myungsoo couldn’t finish his sentence again when the proficient painter suddenly hushed him.

 

‘My dear boy, to you, this painting might be nothing but to me, it really means a lot. Oh, I’m not selling this, my boy. This’s something that I created out of Alain. When I looked at him, I always saw loneliness, sadness. He’s such a fragile boy.’ His eyes turned gloomy as he stared at the painting.

‘I’m curious on why you are so eager to know about him. Are you an enemy of his? Or someone from the magazine?’

 

‘I’m not that curious about him and I’m not some kind of a reporter. Do you happen to know Son Hyemi?’

The man let out a small gasp when Hyemi’s name was mentioned. His bright façade was replaced with a dark and shocked one.

 

‘Hye-Hyemi? Wh-what do you know about her?’ The painter’s voice’s trembling as his sight started to roam wildly around the place.

 

‘I asked you first.’

 

‘I-I’m sorry, lad. I don’t have anything to say about that lady. She’s everything that Dongwoon’s said she was.’ Beads of sweat started to form on his forehead and the man swiftly wipes them with a handkerchief in his pocket.

‘Now, will you please leave? There’s no more business here anymore between you and me.’ He sounded serious but before he could push Myungsoo out of the place, he spoke again.

‘Please leave Dongwoon alone. You wouldn’t want to ruin his happiness.’

 

‘But sir –‘

 

‘Leave!’

 

Thinking that there’s no other way, Myungsoo suddenly scrunched the painter’s collar tight, pulling the poor man closer to his face.

‘You have to tell me, Monsieur! This’s the matter of life and death.’ He hissed as his breaths hit Dohyun’s face. The man hesitated for a while, fear wouldn’t leave him.

 

‘I-I don’t know what that lady has to do with you but please let me go first.’ Myungsoo slowly loosened his grip at his plea. Dohyun then, fixed his collar and cleared his throat.

‘Like I asked before, what do you know about her?’ Myungsoo let out fake chuckles at the man’s question.

 

‘Do you really want to know? Would you tell me what do you know about her if I said it first?’

 

‘It depends.’

 

‘She’s someone who had the same face as my ex-fiancé. Now, what about you?’ The lad answered him clearly, rising his brows but Kim Dohyun, his eyes widen as they’re filled with horror.

 

‘I-I know this day would come. My dear boy, I already warned him but he just won’t listen.’

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter