Piece 011: Cologne

Jigsaw
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

‘Myung? Don’t call me that!’

I naturally opened my eyes and then, those words went replaying back in my mind. That voice… Myung? Who’s that? I could hear that voice clearly but I just couldn’t see the face. I squeezed my eyes, trying to picture back the features that I saw in my dream earlier.

 

‘Hey, get up lazy !’ Suddenly, I could hear Dongwoon Oppa’s voice as he crept onto my bed, lying down next to me.

‘It’s almost nine. I’ve made breakfast. Get up and go take a shower quick or we’ll be late.’

 

‘Where to? Oppa, it’s weekend…’ I whined, trying to cover my body under the sheets but he quickly pulled the soft comforter and pulled my hands up.

 

‘Appa and Omma’s graves, silly. It’s their wedding anniversary, remember?’

I immediately jerked up upon hearing those words. How could I forget about that?

 

***

 

I wonder what it’d be like to hug our parents and kiss them every day. Them, patting my head and kissing my temples, the feeling must’ve been nice. Dongwoon Oppa said they died in a dreadful accident when we’re still kids. I’d seen their pictures a couple of times that Dongwoon Oppa had shown to me and I was right. They’re beautiful and I was sure that they’re nice people too and Dongwoon Oppa’s one of the proofs.

 

‘We’re here.’

I snapped when I felt the car went into a halt. The autumn air was refreshing when I got out of the metallic silver car and there was no sight of people other than us. Naturally, I locked my arm with my brother with a bouquet of roses in my other hand and we walked uphill, side by side towards our parents’ graves. Yellow leaves were falling, meaning it’s the start of autumn and I really liked the sight before me.

Silence took over while we’re on our way and my mind was making silly guesses on what Dongwoon Oppa might be thinking. I took a few glances at his face and it was static, expressionless.

 

 

‘Oppa, are you okay?’ I gathered my courage and asked, tightening my hold on his arm. He’s always like this whenever we visited Appa and Omma’s graves, silent and cold.

 

‘I’m fine. I just don’t like the ambience here. It’s chilly.’ He said, showing me an assuring smile but I knew that he just didn’t want me to feel worry.

 

 

After a while of walking and passing by a few graves, we finally halted in front of two graves, tomebstones carved with our parents’ names. Min Sunmi and Son Donghae. I let go of Dongwoon Oppa’s arm and he slowly took a seat in front of them on the slightly yellow gra

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter