The Ultimatums

The Make-Over Game

 

You stood at the back of the chapel, the smell of flowers filling your senses. All around, flower stands bordered the large hall. Down  the isle, a deep midnight blue carpet had been unrolled, flower petals littering it as it ascended towards the altar. Two figures stood there. A tall, and very familiar groom, smiling down and promising his eternal love to his veiled bride. Pain in a different form raced through you and settled where your heart is as Yunho unveiled his bride and leaned in.

 

 

You jerked awake. One hand unconsciously grasped the shirt over your chest. Cold sweat ran down the side of your head, at least that's what you thought it was at first, before you realised your eyes were wet. You laughed bitterly. How pathetic, how could you let him have this much effect on you after only a couple of days? You wiped the tears away with the back of your hands and threw your bed sheets off.

It came as a surprise when the doorbell rang just as you finished drying your hair. You opened it, expecting to see Sulli who comes to borrow your shower before she left for her morning lecture. Instead, you gaped as Yunho stood, waiting for you to invite him in.

'Are you not finished getting ready?' he asked as he eyed your still messy hair.

'Yunho. You didn't call!' you blurted.

He stepped in, raising an eyebrow expertly. 'I'm not giving you the chance to reject my taking you to work.'

Your eyes averted to avoid looking at him. That was what you had intended.

'I'll finish getting ready and... help yourself to some coffee,' you mumbled and shifted away.

With a little pep-talk to your reflection as you tied your hair, you exited the bathroom and gathered your things. Yunho sat in your living room, he had rejected the coffee and was flicking through an album on your coffee table. It was a moment before you realised it was your portfolio. Dread washed over you quickly as you rushed out of your room clumsily and grabbed the folder out of his reach.

Yunho looked up at you, surprised. You closed it quickly. 'Um... uh, sorry. This one - this one is... personal,' you finished lamely.

'Sorry, I didn't realise. It was underneath all the paper-'

You eyed the battered folder. The corners had started to fray, and wrinkles had formed after so many years of being flicked through. Inside... inside was everything you never want him to see. Everything that became meaningless until nearly a week ago. Polaroids, sketches, totems of the years with Yunho that seemed like a lifetime ago, of the relationship that you thought would last forever.

Still, Yunho watched you with mild surprise.

'Ah, I'll go get my stuff.' You turned and marched back into your bedroom, dropping the folder into the depths of your wardrobe before   grabbing your workbag and camera. You sent Yunho a forced smile and the two of you made your way out. You caught his eyes flicker to the orchids standing on your kitchen worktop.

'About the other night,' he began, as the elevator doors closed. You heart thumped oddly, 'I'm sorry. I didn't mean to do it. I don't know what came over me.'

Another pain shot at your heart. If it was glass, it would be webbed with fractures. Of course he didn't mean to kiss you. It meant nothing. Not. A. Thing. Not to him.

You spared a glance at him. He looked down, his frown concentrated on the floor. A strand of hair had fallen over his eyes making him look more like a guilty little boy rather than a grown man. Without permission, your heart eased a little. 'Uh... let's just forget about it,' you assured him, you closed your eyes, trying to regain some sort of control over your muddled feelings. His silence unnerved you. 'Anyway, thank you for the flowers. Sunflowers are...' You wondered if it was just a coincidence. Did he really know?

'Your favourite,' he finished, smiling a little.

You grinned. 'So you do know.'

'Oh, come on, give me some credit,' he replied, playfully.

'I can't. The next bouquet came with macaroons.' You looked at him. 'I'm allergic to almonds,' you informed him.

His eyes widened in surprise. 'Crap. Sorry.'

'It's okay, I didn't expect you to remember.' You bit your lip, realising what you had done. You had unconsciously brought up the past.

'Yah! That's not fair! It's been so long since... then. But, when have you ever told me you were allergic to almonds?'

You were surprised that he would carry on the topic of conversation.

 

7 Years Ago

 

'Yah! You little piranha!' You heard Yunho call not far from where you lay in the unused classroom, taking lazy pictures of the sky. You could hear the sound of shuffling until a moment later Yunho appeared from behind a large bookcase, followed by Jaejoong.

You sat up, already done scowling at his choice of name for you. He and you had been dating for three months now, and he couldn't come up with anything more affectionate than 'ugly duck', 'stupid chicken', or a choice word before 'my little fox'.

He sat at your feet alongnthe window ledge, beaming. He held an assortment of chocolates in his hands. It was White Day, girls left, right, and centre had sincerely handed both Yunho and Jae their chocolates. 'Where are my chocolates?' he asked expectantly.

'But you already have plenty,' you mumbled, holding your camera up and capturing the look of devastation on his face.

'I want yours!'

You threw Jaejoong a small box of his chocolate from you. The senior caught it, confused. He smiled and waved it happily.

'What?! How come Jae has one?! Yah! I'm the boyfriend here!' Yunho began to lean over you, trying to grab the box you had covered with your school blazer.

'I don't have one for you, silly! You already have a lot. It's not good for your teeth!' you laughed, trying to push him back.

'Liar!' He grabbed the box out your reach, pleased to see that it was a lot larger than Jae's.

You watched him untie the bow, taking pictures as he did so. He lifted the lid excitedly. His face fell, before he collapsed on the floor laughing. 'Yah! Did your dog do these for you? I thought girls were supposed to be good at cooking!'

From where he sat, Jaejoong smiled at you sympathetically but ate a piece nonetheless.

You blushed. It wasn't your fault that the chocolates were such a mess. You had tried to create a character with each piece but it came out messy. 'Well, if you don't want them-!' You reached for the box, trying to take it back. 'You're so mean!' He held it out of your reach. Scrambling onto your knees you tried to grab it back. Yunho pulled your hand down, crashing his lips onto yours.

'I love them,' he grinned happily, letting you go and observing the chocolates once again. You were silent, still dazed from his kiss. It was soft and casual and sweeter than any kiss the two of you had ever shared. 'I don't want to eat them,' he pouted.

'Well, that wastes all the effort I put in to make them,' you told him, picking a piece and popping it into your mouth.

'Aah!' He grabbed your cheeks with one hand, trying to force your mouth open, 'no! Give it back!'

Without warning his lips were on yours once again. Surprised, he managed to prise your mouth open easily and slip his tongue in. He searched for the sweet hungrily, tasting the strawberry flavour in the chocolate. You chuckled and rolled the piece in your mouth. Yunho finally managed to take it from you, but that wasn't enough. He started to on both your tongue and the chocolate. Satisfied, he pulled away, wiping your chin from the chocolate stained saliva that had sloppily dripped down the side of your mouth.

'Ahem! Still here,' Jaejoong mumbled. You were brought back to reality. Embarassed, you apologised to Jaejoong, bowing your red face.

The door opened and closed once again and voices could be heard from behind the bookshelf. A couple of seconds later, three handsome young men appeared around the corner.

'Hyung,' Junsu sang. Jaejoong looked up, relief replacing his expression.

'Hi, noona,' Changmin mumbled as the young man shuffled around the small space and sat next to you. 'I guess it's safe to say hyung likes your chocolates. Hey, do you want some?' Changmin offered an assortment of nuts covered in milk chocolate.

'No, thank you. They're yours,' you declined airily, waving your hand infront of you.

'It's okay, I have lots.'

'I can't. I'm allergic to almonds,' you explained, smiling at him, touched by his generosity.

'Hyung-ah, those look interesting,' Yoochun mumbled, looking at the box you had given to Yunho. Yoochun made to reach for one. Instinctively you stopped your classmate, before he got his head bitten off for taking Yunho's chocolates.

'Don't, he'd actually go after it even if it's in your mouth,' you chuckled. Reaching under your blazer once more, you retrieved three small boxes, similar to Jaejoong and handed them to Junsu, Yoochun and Changmin, 'here, it doesn't look great, but I think it tastes alright.'

'Thanks!' Junsu beamed, unwrapping his chocolates.

'Yum, strawberry,' Yoochun mumbled, 'which reminds me, have you done the homework on Biology?' Yoochun asked you through a mouthful of chocolate.

 

Yunho pulled up at the front of the Seventeen building.

'I have something to discuss with you,' Yunho said before you could thank him, 'I'll pick you up at lunch.'

You frowned. 'Who says?'

Yunho's mischievous smirk was back. 'You don't want to have lunch with me?' His eyes darted to the paparazzi hiding behind a couple of cars. You forced a smile, as Yunho chuckled.

You opened the door a little forcefully. Yunho grabbed your hand before you could step out, and for a moment you wondered if he was going to kiss you there and then. But, surprise took you when he pecked the back of your hand gently. He winked as you closed the door, his playful smirk irresistably punchable. You headed straight to your new office and slumped into the office chair. Yunho's sunflowers had been moved to the display table infront of the window. You sighed. It hurt.

A knock sounded five minutes later and your co-worker came in.

'Hey,' Jina greeted softly, 'I was sent to do another interview for the next issue, are you okay to do it now?'

You wanted to lie, to postpone the façade but nodded instead.

'Okay.' The journalist sat on a chair in front of your table, a notepad in hand and a dictaphone in the other. 'So, how did you come to meet Yunho? Where did it all start?'

You contemplated it for a second, wondering whether to be truthful. 'Actually, Yunho and I have known each other since I entered highschool. I guess you could say we were friends-' Enemies, '-and after graduation, we lost contact-' He disappeared, '-we met again a few months ago,' Six days ago, 'He had a photoshoot with one of my friends who's now working for another magazine.' That seemed legit. You had no idea how Yunho found you, but then you weren't surprised, there's little he couldn't do. You needed to arrange a story with Yunho if the he wanted to pull this off.

'Interesting, so this must be during his relationship with Miss Yuna?'

'It seems so. I don't know if she knew we were together, but then again, she must be busy with Taecyeon,' you laughed somewhat a little bitter. Jina laughed too.

'So how long were you with Taecyeon before all this with Yunho? Does it still hurt to see him with another woman?'

'Too long... It was exhausting, that's all I can remember.' You mentally punched Taecyeon in your head. Too damn long. 'But if it weren't for Taecyeon and Yuna, I wouldn't be with Yunho now, so if anything, I have to thank them. For the record, I think Yuna was too blind to realise what she had and now she's thrown it all away for someone like Taecyeon.'

'What do you mean by that?'

'Oh, I don't know. Yunho is... kind, and a gentleman. As well as successful and renown. I guess the latter can be said for Taecyeon, but he's lacking in comparison.' You could see Yunho applauding in your head. Nice going, my sharp little fox. You shook your head, even if you weren't exactly praising Taecyeon, you had to remember you were angry with Yunho. It didn't help that he plagued your thoughts day and night.

'Last time you told us how the two of you were there for each other after the break-ups. How are things between you and Yunho now?'

'Now?' Absolutely confusing. 'Now, I feel like I've found a very important part of my past. Yunho had changed when I met him again, but now I'm starting to see the same I guy I knew from highschool and we treat each other very well, I think. He's there when I need him, and hopefully, he knows that I'll be here when he needs me.' Not likely, came a voice in your head. Yunho has never needed anyone, least of all you. That much you knew. You were just convenience.

The interview ended, and you sat in the office wondering if you should have let Yunho know about it first. Well, it was done.

 

Lunch came too quickly, and before you knew it, a commotion could be heard outside your office. Yunho came in without knocking, smiling politely at the women in the studio. He closed the door after him and sighed, eyes closed. You watched him until he opened them again and shifted his gaze towards you.

'Sorry, long day. How was yours?' Typical. He was always so upfront.

'Difficult,' you forced out between your teeth, a hard glare aimed at him. He took no notice and sat on the edge of your desk, looking around.

'I would've thought you'd get a bigger office,' he commented.

You looked around. The office was spacious enough, with a decent sized window and space to move around. Ofcourse, it must be different for a filming company president.

'Sorry, it isn't to your expectations,' you said calmly, standing up. He could've sat down on a chair, instead he was sitting on your desk, toying with a paperweight. He looked up, a smile on his face, momentarily distracting you.

'I quite like it. Are you very busy today?' he asked.

You had done very little; a couple of paperwork, and helping set up a mood board. 'Yes,' you lied.

'Liar,' Yunho accused immediately, he had seen the calculating look in your eyes, 'come on then. If you're so busy, it's better if you hurry up.'

 

Twenty minutes later you arrived in a penthouse at the outskirts of the central business district of the city. It was spacious, and lavishly decorated, with high ceilings and equally tall windows. You followed Yunho's pull towards an open kitchen that seemed to be very unused. Someone had prepared dinner.

'Where are we?' you asked.

'Where else? My apartment.'

Your heart did an odd beat. 'Why?' You could have had lunch at any restaurant in town, why here? You sat on a chair he had pulled out for you.

He said nothing as he served the food. You waited until he sat down.

'You're moving in with me.'

You rolled your eyes. 'Who says? You always decide things impulsively, when do you plan to let me have a say? I've told you before, I'm not moving in,' you told him, fighting to keep a tone of finality.

'And also, there's an award ceremony tomorrow evening. I want you to attend with me,' he said nonchalantly, ignoring your remark.

You growled at his ignorance. 'Are you listening?! Why should I have to do these things when this stupid façade will end in two weeks? Just tell me exactly what you want from me Yunho! What are you planning to get out of this?' There are millions of other girls who would have been more than willing to play the role of his new girlfriend. You don't understand why it had to be you.

'Don't you want Taecyeon back?' he asked. The question took you off guard. What was he implying?

'The question is, do you want Yuna back?' You anticipated his answer, heart thumping. You concentrated on cutting the fish on your plate.

Yunho wanted Yuna back. He needed Yuna back. 'Yes.'

The simple word did something to you. You recognised it. A feeling like a cold wet blanket had been thrown over you, and you were in the darkness. You tightened your grip on the knife and fork to stop your hand from shaking. You took a deep breath, a little raspy but silent enough that Yunho couldn't hear.

You don't know if it was instinctive, or obligation or an altogether more powerful feeling that possessed you, but a voice in the back of your mind was in horror of what you said next. 'You want her back, and you need me to take Taecyeon away from her?' He nodded. You squared your shoulders and matched his eyes. 'Fine.'

It was just as you said. Yuna didn't know what she had, when she had it right infront of her. It was your mission to make her see.

 

Yunho stared at you. He was looking for a sign, of hurt, or anger, but you were as calm as ever. For a moment he wanted you to say no, stand up and march out just so he could chase you. He was shocked by the way you had taken the news. He wished he could tell you the reason. But his pride got in the way, a pride that had been passed down from the Grandfather he hated so much.

 

'Harabeoji...' Yunho began to reason.

'You've been doing well up till now, Yunho. If you could leave that poor girl, then you can marry Yuna. You want to keep your mother's house? It's not for you to keep as it's mine. Yuna will be inheriting it when I die, she's as much my granddaughter as you are my grandson.'

'I don't even know her,' Yunho hissed.

'Then get to know her. I promised her grandfather a marriage into our family!' the man demanded with as much authority, 'Or would you rather see the house you love so much pass out of your hands?'

The ultimatums made Yunho want to punch something. His mother had suffered so much at the hands of this man before she died, and now he was forced to do the same. The only thing he treasured was the house his mother loved so much, where he grew up and experienced warmth unlike the cold glances from the men in his family. That had all been taken away too soon, and now one girl had the key to it all.