Roomies

The Make-Over Game

Maybe it was what your heart needed, the pain of breaking and burning just to be built up stronger than before? But what if it was the other way around? What if it was shattered, and pieced together with glue only to become more fragile?

You decided it was the first, and set about tossing clothes into the suitcase. You also packed toiletries, and your cameras, and paperwork and portfolios. That night Sulli and Minho had dropped by with a basket of cookies Sulli made and a bottle of wine to say 'thank you' for allowing them borrow your shower. The three of you had dinner together, and for a splitting moment when you were bidding them 'goodnight', you wondered when you'll get to see them again. Two weeks seemed like a long way away.

Yunho picked you up the following morning, helping to carry your things to his car. The paparazzi had been getting an eyeful and even followed the two of you to his building. You smiled and laughed as was necessary, but it was all hollow. Yunho's apartment was three times - no, five times- bigger than your apartment. His room was upstairs on the second floor, beside yours, separated by a spacious bathroom in between. You decided there was no point going into work today, Yunho had so kindly informed you that the award ceremony was at six that evening. You dumped the box of toiletries onto your bed and looked around. Despite the advanced infloor heating, the room felt cold. It was mostly white, except for the blue decorative wallpaper at the head of the bed.

There was a painting hanging opposite the bed, one that made no sense. It was just a blue ribbon. You decided it was stupid, but then, that was how you were feeling at present. Yunho came in, leaning against the door.

'It's not much. Make yourself at home,' he said, pulling your red suitcase in. You blinked at the colour. It didn't belong in this room.

'No need. I'm not staying long,' you told him, picking up your camera.

Something about those words tugged at Yunho's chest. He watched you move over to the window and examine the view. The familiar click of the camera sounded. You were taking pictures of the river. Yunho pulled the suitcase in and parked it against the foot of the bed. He too looked around the room, was it cold? More clicking. Yunho looked up just as you turned to him, camera still held up. And with a final click, you captured his contemplating expression.

'Aren't you going to feed me?' you half teased, conscious of your growling stomach.

'Crap! I knew I forgot something!' His eyes were wide. 'Wait, I'll go order something.'

'You what? Why?'

'There's no food in the fridge. I hardly cook, I never have time.'

'You live on take aways?' you asked, dumbfounded.

'Sort of,' he replied, smiling at you sheepishly.

'Pfft. Pabo. I'm not eating that stuff,' you told him. He followed you out of your room and down the stairs towards the kitchen. He was telling the truth, there was nothing in the fridge except a few bottles of water. The cupboards were empty of anything edible, that including coffee.

'This is crazy,' you mumbled, eyeing the empty cupboard. You turned to an amused looking Yunho.

'Time for grocery shopping?' he suggested.

 

 

'Not that, you pabo!' You grabbed the packets of ramen Yunho was about to put into the trolley. 'Seriously, you'll die young eating those kinds of food.'

'Well it's better than this rabbit junk!' He pointed at the assortment of vegetables in the cart. 'Where's the meat? Where's the cake? I want icecream and have you tasted those biscuity things?'

You cocked your head to the side. 'What biscuity things? There are loads of-'

'Mm, steak. Look, chicken! We are allowed some meat, right?'

'Yes,' you sighed. It was like shopping with a little child. Yunho piled on a pair of different types of meat before pulling the trolley into an isle. It was a moment before you realised the shelves displayed all sorts of junkfood. You pulled Yunho away, as his eyes dangerously darted in different directions. 'Never again...' you swore to yourself.

Yunho's hand tightened on yours before you realised it. He took hold of the trolley's handle with the other hand, pushing it along effortlessly. He smiled in response to your gaze and pulled you into the confectionary isle. 'There!' He stopped the trolley beside a shelf and to your horror, pulled down every last packet of white chocolate pepero sticks on the shelf.

'Yunho...' you groaned. For some reason he couldn't fathom, it sounded very nicely in his ears.

'It's just a couple. I won't eat so much of other junks if you let me have this,' he reasoned childishly.

'Ara, ara!' you resigned. You paid for the groceries before he could add anymore junkfood into the pile. You stepped outside and held back an exhausted sigh as paparazzi clicked away. A few shoppers turned to look and began to gossip. You toyed with the idea of arranging a disguise, but then the whole purpose of this lie was make sure Yuna and Taecyeon knew.

You could see it now in your mind. Magazines with sections dedicated to you and Yunho just like Seventeen. Pictures of a happy couple moving in together, shopping together, laughing together. You applauded tourself, you must atleast get some credit for your Oscar winning acting, right? How many girls pretended to be inlove with the man she loved though she wasn't allowed to just so he could make the girl he loved fall back inlove with him? It was like Love-ception. You shook your head. You must be going crazy.

Yunho caught you and chuckled. 'Are you okay?'

'No. I have a splitting headache, I wish I'd bought some paracetamol.' You massaged your temples.

'Don't worry. I have some in the house.'

 

 

You cooked, but Yunho refused to clean the mess that was his living room. Instead he was leaning over the granite countertop of his kitchen, watching you work. You clamped the lid down on the saucepan with more fore than you had intended, unnerved by his staring.

'Yunho-ah, if you have nothing better than watching me work, why don't you clean your lounge like I told you!'

'But you're nearly done.'

'Then go set the table,' you instructed, handing him a pair of plates and cutlery.

'Ara, ara.' He took the china and went over to the glass table.

You shuffled about, retrieving something to drink. You placed the carton of juice on the island counter and turned to open cupboard. Why on earth did Yunho have to store the glasses so high up? You stood on your tip-toes barely able to reach the glass with your finger tips. In the spur of a moment to managed to upend the glass and send it past your fingers towards the floor.

You clossed your eyes quickly, waiting for the shattering noise.

Yunho managed to catch the glass in time. He had seen you struggling, holding back a chuckle. You peeked an eye open to find him standing beside you. He laughed at your expression.

'Don't worry, I have it,' he reassured you, brushing past to retrieve another glass.

'You little ninja,' you mumbled before turning around and taking the saucepan off the hob before the stew boiled over.

You became increasingly conscious as the two of you sat down to eat. What if Yunho didn't like your cooking? Meaning to say, you weren't exactly a chef but at least anything you've made for yourself before was edible. You waited as Yunho took his first bite of the stewed beef.

'Yah, this...' he began and swallowed, 'is delicious.'

You relaxed, not noticing you had been holding your breath. You settled down to your dinner. Finally chewing on some meat and vegetables you paused. It was so bland, the meat well cooked but still bland. You looked at Yunho who was watching you, chewing slowly at the meat. He attempted to hold back an amused smile but failed.

'I'll go get the salt,' you said, standing up immediately and going to the kitchen. You heard him release a laugh, but you were touched. He was gentleman enough to not complain about your cooking. 'Here.' You handed him the salt before taking it back and sprinkling your food with some.

After moment of silence you fianally spoke. 'You never did say what happened to you after highschool,' you began.

Yunho looked up and grinned. 'Did you miss me?'

Jerk. He could be so tactless although, it was very true. You did miss him, if it weren't for Jaejoong and the other's comfort. You braved it out. 'Tch, don't delude yourself. Everyone missed you, only because no one was there to annoy us anymore.'

Yunho pulled a face and tutted. 'Harabeoji sent me to Japan. I went to university and came back two years ago.'

You frowned. 'But you were with Yuna for three years.'

'We were friends before then,' he answered shortly.

'I see...' you mumbled. Of course, what did you expect? Yunho and Yuna shared more memories than you ever had with Yunho. 'Why on earth did she leave you?' The question escaped your mouth before you realised it or atleast worded it better.

Yunho chuckled at your frankness before he frowned in thought. Eversince he graduated he began to work tirelessly, but he made sure what little time he had with Yuna was memorable. Though, after being handed the President title, time for Yuna became no time at all. 'Maybe I've been more selfish than I thought.'

You raised your brows. Yunho may be arrogant and stubborn but selfishness wasn't one of his characteristics. Whatever he had, he shared it willingly with his dongsaengs and Jaejoong. As an only child, selfishness was expected, but then again, as an only child, he must have been lonely.

'Well, whatever it is, I've already decided I'll help you, didn't I?' Yunho nodded, the smile gone. 'Speaking of which,' you began, mischief, clear on your face, 'I'll expect something in return.'

'I knew it,' Yunho sighed, 'I'm not giving you my body!' he reitterated.

'Jerk! I'm not asking for your disgusting body, you ert!' You chucked a piece of carrot at him.

Yunho grinned. 'Then what?'

'You have connections, right?' You matched his grin, 'our company's been trying for EXO to come in and do an interview for our readers.'

'EXO?' Yunho repeated, 'That shouldn't be too hard. Though they're quite busy with a comeback,' he mumbled to himself.

'That's not all,' you informed him. He raised his eyebrow expertly, before you launched into a discussion about the new camera you had been saving up for.

'I'm not getting you a camera!' Yunho finally decided. Standing up and following you to the kitchen, his empty plate in his hand.

'Then I'm not getting you a girlfriend!' You challenged. If you had to suffer through day after day of trying to grab the attention of the girl he was inlove with and try to bond them again then you might as well get something in return.

'Yah, you little-'

'I'm not asking you for a camera, I'm asking to meet the matching price,' you reasoned.

'Fine, but tonight you have to find a way to get me alone with Yuna.'

You paused. 'Done.'

 

 

You wanted nothing more than to lie down in your bed than go to a sordid awards ceremony that evening. At quarter to five, you stepped out of the shower and wrapped yourself in a towel. You didn't know what was more overwhelming, the grand bathroom that Yunho ushered you into, or the gown he had secretly prepared for you to wear or the fact that there were two strangers waiting for you in your room hired to do your hair and make-up. You decided it was all three put together.

Your hair was dried, and tousled and twisted here and there by a gentle pair of hands before being left to curl. Meanwhile, the other stranger painted your face using all sorts of brushes and creams and powders, making small talk as she did. In a short amount of time, you were done. The curling tongs had been taken out of your hair and left to fall in elegant curls down your back.

You stared at yourself in the mirror. Would it be like this when you get married in the future? You shook the idea out of your mind, marriage was the last thing you should be having visions about.

The make-up artists were kind enough to help you into your dress. It was a deep blue in colour, the bodice folded simply but elegantly. You wanted to hate it, but the flowing skirts swayed your emotions as easily as it flowed after you. The artists left the room with a bow, chattering between them.

You gathered your phone and essentials into a clutch before noticing the box that lay open on your bed. Blue tissue paper had been unfolded in it but beneath the surface you could see the swirling writing. Elie Saab!

Horrified, you nearly stripped the dress away. It was too precious. Yunho had ordered a dress from a renown dressmaker from half-way across the world. You were hot just thinking about the price. Marching out of your room, you headed down the stairs, holding a gasp as you saw the twilight setting over Seoul's skyline and the silhouette in the Han River below through the windows. You marched past the pool room separating the dining room and the living room.

'Yunho, you pabo!' you yelled before even entering. He stood in a smart black tuxedo he fitted so well, an undone bowtie at his neck. He had just finished putting sheets of paper on a shelf. It was clear he had just tidied up the things you asked him to do earlier.

Yunho looked up to find you standing at the large arch that was the entrance to the lounge. He was dazed for a moment. Something tugged at him when he saw you standing there, dressed in the gown he had chosed. It was a moment before he realised his mouth was slightly hanging open, and you were scowling.

'What are you angry for?' he asked, moving towards the window to use as a mirror to do his bowtie.

'The dress, Yunho.'

Yunho turned to you puzzled. His gaze swept over you and you could feel your face heat up. 'What about it? It fits you doesn't it?'

'Elie Saab?'

'Who?' he asked.

'The designer! How could you expect me to wear something this expensive?' you groaned. You felt like hitting that innocently confused face he always pulls. He turned back to his reflection in the window.

'You were complaining about a camera earlier, why are you questioning another dress?'

'Because this thing costs much more than what I'm asking for the camera!'

'Leave it alone. As long as you fit it then there's no problem.' He fumbled with the bowtie, doing and undoing it up all over again.

You moved into the room. There was no light except from the one coming from the dining area. 'Then you can have it back after tonight,' you sighed.

Yunho frowned and turned back to you. 'Why would I? Do you expect me to wear it? Pabo. It's yours, I chose it for you, and you look beautiful in it, ara?'

You blushed again and let out a soft sigh. 'It's just the dress,' you mumbled.

Yunho approached you. 'It's not just the dress,' he said, lifting your chin to meet your eyes. Your heart thumped oddly and you looked away. 'Do you know how to this stupid thing?' Yunho asked, after another attempt at his bow.

You shifted your gaze back to him, then to the bowtie that was creased from being abused. You had an attempt but could not get it quite right. In the end the two of you decided to search it up on the internet and you follow the instructions on the phone that Yunho held up. Finally succeeding, the two of you made your way downstairs to his car.