A Return to the Mall

The Make-Over Game

'So... where are we going now?' Yunho asked after a while. You had returned back to the junction, on the way back to the city.

Yunho waited for your reply for a long while before sighing when you didn't answer.

'Are you going to keep ignoring me or...? Yah!' He pouted turning to you with pleading eyes. 'Jagiyaaa,' he dragged out.

You tightened your hands on the wheel, and pursed your mouth determinedly.

'Oh, jeez, c'mon. Stop being so childish.'

'What?! Who's being childish?! You should stop doing aegyo, because your aegyo sickens me!' Not really, don't lie to yourself. His aegyo is sickeningly sweet... for a grown man .

'Ha! You spoke back! And I know you can't resist my aegyo,' Yunho grinned at you, 'so, tell me, where are we going?'

'Just... wait.'

 

'Er, you need more clothes?' Yunho asked looking up at the tall glass windows of the mall.

'Not for me... for you,' you corrected pulling him in, 'I'm paying and you are not, I repeat, not allowed to do anything about it.'

'What?! That makes everything I bought you yesterday worthless!'

'Why would you say that? Okay, okay. Give me your credit card, I pay.'

Yunho pulled out his wallet.

'Not yet.'

You grabbed his hand and pulled him into a shop, stopping infront of the men's section.

'Beanie?' you suggested. He shook his head. 'Too bad, I'm getting it.' You headed over to the sunglasses section.

'I have plenty,' he informed you, pulling you away. You stopped by a couple of jackets.

'Aha, I'm not much for leather jackets but you suit it quite well.' You had pulled up a black biker jacket and held it up to cover his torso. Any other day passing this section by and you wouldn't cast a second glance at the clothing, but imagining it on Yunho seems quite... appealing. You cocked your head to the side.

'I like it,' Yunho voiced as he examined the jacket, pulling you out of your reverie.

'You really have nothing other than suits?' you asked.

'I do... sort of. Besides, I kinda like shopping with you,' he teased mischievously.

You threw him a weird look, obviously disbelieving. A flash took you by surprise and for a moment you thought one of the lights above flickered. Yunho was looking elsewhere, towards a rack of clothing where a man pointed his camera directly towards the two of you.

'What do we do?' you asked.

'Just... ignore him. Smile,' he instructed you. You forced a toothy smile on your face. Yunho turned to find you pulling a weird face and burst out laughing. 'Yah,' he called in between laughter, 'you look like you're in pain.'

You pouted and stomped away, stopping when a thought hit you. A question that you knew was better left unsaid.

'Mianh.' Yunho appeared behind you looking over your shoulder to see your face. He cleared his throat.

'Yunho-ah,' you began, still watching the sleeve of a hoodie you were holding.

'Hm?' he asked, eyes widening.

 'Do you think... What do you think of this?' You asked holding up the black and white hoodie, patterened with words.

 He cocked his head to the side, examining the clothing. 'It's not really my style,' he observed.

 'Well, you wouldn't know since you only have one style,' you grinned. 'C'mon let's pay for these.'

 The two of you made your way over to the counter, noticing the photographer being kindly adviced not to take pictures inside the shops. You placed the item on the counter and heavy heartedly received Yunho's credit card.

 The two of you exited, no sign of papparazzi in sight. You passed by a men's shop, Yunho distracted by the beeping warning of his phone's low battery. You had to grab his arm and pull him in.

At that moment, Yunho saw how the situation had reversed when you asked for his shoe size and ordered for some shoes of the same size to be brought to him. You sat him down on a chair and examined the hightops on the shelves. The store assistant brought them all, boxes after boxes of shoes.

After five pairs, you decided canvas shoes are too general for him and urged him to try on a number of leather lace up boots, swallowing the smile on your lips when you saw just how much they suited him.

'Not bad,' you complimented, trying to hide the glow in you. Yunho rolled his eyes but smiled none the less as before resuming tying the laces.

You made him choose a hightop next, settling for a blue and grey one that he liked just for the colour. The shop assistant reserved the chosen products as the two of you wandered towards the shirt section. Ecstatic, you pulled down every polo shirt that caught your eye, handing them to Yunho as you went along. Lacoste, Polo, Hilfiger - you carried on until he urged you to stop.

'You go change out of that and I'll go pay for these. Wait for me in there,' you told him. Confused and a little exhausted, Yunho turned to find the changing rooms after handing you the shirts and taking the bag of clothes from the last shop. Pulling out your wallet, you put his credit card away and pulled out your own, handing it over to the cashier. Dragging two very large and heavy bags towards the changing room, you threw Yunho a shirt and a pair of washed out jeans.

You waited, listening to the sound of him moving about and the ruffles of clothing. Finally the curtain pulled back, and you couldn't help the grin that quickly surfaced on your face. You stood up from the chair you sat on, examing his whole body. Him.

He looked at you innocently, eyes wide and waiting for an opinion.

'I think you look good enough to be my boyfriend,' you said mockingly.

He smiled slightly. 'Tch, this kid.' He moved forwards and examined himself in the mirror.

He wore a navy shirt, an unmistakeable Lacoste crocodile embroided on the top left of the front. The collars were striped with red, as well as the hem of the sleeves. It fitted too well, showing off his toned figure, it didn't help that you could see his well built arms either. He wore the jeans you threw him, tucked inside the leather boots on his feet.

With a sigh of relief you and Yunho exited the shop. Putting your shopping in the trunk you sat in the car for a while, turning up the air conditioning. The day was stiflingly hot and humid.

'What time is it?' you asked.

Yunho checked his watch. 'Almost four.'

'What shall we do?'

'Sleep.'

'Sleep?'

'Sleep,' Yunho repeated closing his eyes and lying back.

You watched, his head turned towards you slightly. You pouted, it was too bright to sleep. A second later you heard a grunt from Yunho, his arm was thrown over his face to block out the sunlight, his mouth slightly open. You giggled and started the car. You drove, not really sure where to go until you found yourself at the parking lot of the city park. Stopping underneath the shade of some trees you sighed and pushed your seat back, closing your eyes.

 

You woke, blinking to adjust your eyes to darkening lights of Seoul. You turned to look at Yunho and sat up quickly when you found him gone. Checking the back seats, but not really expecting him to be there, you turned the headlights of your car on just as Yunho appeared on the other side. He knocked on the window and pointed to the lock of the door. You unlocked the whole car and Yunho slid in, carrying a bag of delicious smelling foods.

'There's an event going on down there,' he told you as he opened the  bag. 'I went to buy some food but they didn't have any proper  meals so... I got us freshly cooked doughnuts! Here. And cookies, and here, they were selling takoyaki for some reason. There were Japanese stalls.' He continued to hand you different snacks but stopped when you didn't make a move.

You couldn't help but stare at him. A laugh escaped your lips, and Yunho pouted.

'Did you buy every food you saw?' You picked up a chocolate chip cookie.

'Well, I don't know about you but I'm starving.'

You smiled amusedly. It faded when you noticed papparazzi hiding behind one of the bushes, not far from a park bench. Yunho didn't seem to have noticed anything as he continued to munch on a hotdog, mustard staining the corner of his mouth. Without thinking you wiped it away with your thumb. He froze but only for a moment. He smiled and continued eating, prompting you to eat.

'I don't want to,' you said. You wanted to eat something hot. A full meal.

'Wae?' he cried.

'Let's go to dinner later,' you suggested.

He cocked an eyebrow. 'Are you asking me out on a date?'

You snorted. 'Are you surprised because I did something polite? I might as well ask you since you don't seem to have the decency to ask me.'

Yunho swallowed his food. 'Not fair! I don't ask because I know you'll shoot me down! It hurts getting rejected by you y'know.'

You blinked. It hurts? Getting rejected by you? But, you had shot him down plenty of times in the past. Oh.

'Well, because you always tease me! Anyway, I'm not forcing you to go, hence the asking.'

Yunho laughed. 'Fine, fine. What do we do now?'

'Did you say they're having a festival down there?' you asked, looking at your rear-view mirror which reflected blue and purple lights.

'Yeah, it's a bit weird though. A lot of mystical stuff.'

You opened your door and stepped out. 'C'mon. Shall we go have our palms read?'

'You believe that kind of stuff?'

'Nope. It's just fun.'

 

♛♕

 

You entered the tent warily clutching a pamphlet in one hand, given to you by a young woman just outside the tent where Yunho waited and approached a table bedecked with a purple table cloth, covered with stars. Inside was dark, the colours limited to midnight blues, royal purples, golds and silvers. A girl who looked like she might as well be a belly dancer emerged from a curtain of beads. and nose were covered by some sort of shimmery polyester, just like the rest of her outfit, and her eyes were decorated with glitter, and green and gold eyeshadows.

'Sit down,' she said gently, her voice far away and as if sighing.

You sat.

'How interesting,' she voiced in that voice of hers.

'What is?' you asked.

'That a person with a relationship like yours should visit a place like this. Surely you would know the outcome and consequences of every compromise you make.'

You frowned. 'No, which is why I came to see you.' Her eyes, green in colour by the contacts she wore averted to you.

'I must warn you. It is a dangerous game you two are playing. Breaking hearts and causing heartbreaks.'

You were lost and could only watch as the mystic picked up a pack of cards and placed them on the table, fanning them out expertly infront of you.

'Please pick three cards.'

And so you did, pulling them towards you and arranging them neatly in a row.

Your cards were flipped. The first one revealing a man... or woman, standing on the edge of a cliff carrying a package on a stick slung over her shoulder.

'The fool. You've began an unending journey which was decided impulsively. I hope you know the risk.' She looked up at you from under long eyelashes.

Your next card was, apparently, called The Empress.

'Ah, see how it is upright? You will receive good fortune both financialy... and although, not soon, depending on the fate of your first card, love is blooming. It also means fertility, though I doubt you are with child.' You stifled a laugh at that point.

Your last card showed a star, glowing above a woman who was both pouring, into a pond, and spilling water from a clay pot.

'The star represents renewal. Old wounds are healing and a promise of protection has been made. Still, I would be careful, the Fool card does not bode well. My dear...' The girl looked at you, her green eyes boring into you. 'Your loneliness is at an end, it is your time to be carefree, you've been brave but reckless to allow yourself to be used and too arrogant to admit to yourself your mistake. In the end, if you want this to work out your way, you will need immense will power.'

'Immense will pow-?' You began but were cut short.

'Enough, I have said enough. It is up to you to pull the pieces together. Go, I must retire,' she voiced in a dramatic fashion before disappearing behind her curtain of beads.

You walked out of the tent, thoroughly confused and slightly annoyed. Yunho grinned.

'So? What did she say?'

'She said to get way from you,' you decided. Yunho's face fell and grabbed your hand tightly.

He smirked down at you, 'Just try.'