Chapter 8

Cruise to No-Where... with BEAST?!

Chapter 8!          Just You And Me At Captain's Bridge

 

Knowing she did not have much of a head start, she opted to run to the middle of the ship instead of going through the nearest doors. Easily swerving around the glass panels used to block the heavy gusts of wind, Nicolette did her best to put as much distance between them as possible. She was panting hard, but her legs just kept pumping. Descending down the steps, she cursed in her mind when she realized the outdoor pool area might be wet. Fortunately for her, it was not, and there were hardly anybody out swimming so early. Dashing through the pool area to the front of the ship, she suddenly stopped, waiting impatiently for the automatic glass doors to slide open so that she can run again… to her hiding place.

 

The guys did not have much trouble following her lead. Well, at least one did not.

 

Hyun… hyung… I th- think you go first. I’m shack.” Yoseob panted.

 

Junhyung hesitated for a moment, torn between chasing the girl and staying to check on Yoseob.

 

I’m okay, just haven’t ran for so long. Quick! Chase her, or we’ll lose her again!” Yoseob said, sensing his hyung’s hesitation.

 

Junhyung nodded, giving chase. But it was too late. Down the long corridor, he rounded the corner, almost colliding with an elderly couple, to find her gone.

 

.” He cursed. Then he noticed the couple staring at him. “Ah… Ah! Sorry! We’re playing! Catching!” he tried to explain himself.

 

The elderly couple shook their heads and stepped into the lift. “Kids nowadays…”

 

Junhyung just smiled at the couple until the doors closed. Immediately, he scowled. She is so dead once I catch her! Turning around in frustration, his eyes widened as it suddenly hit him where he was standing right now. It’s this place again! She always disappears here…

 

Walking into Galaxy of the Stars, he scanned around the room, very sure the girl was hiding here. However, the room was empty except for an old uncle reading a book at a corner near the window and the obviously bored bartender.

 

There has to be another way out of here.

 

Junhyung was about to walk out when he felt something. Trusting his instincts, he sat in one of the comfortable chairs facing the dance floor. Sure enough, his instincts were proven correct when he heard some movements behind him. He swerved his chair.

 

--------------------

 

Nicolette stood panting, hard, leaning against the pillar for support. She had heard Junhyung’s voice apologizing to the couple she had narrowly avoided running into, heard him mumbling to himself as he walked in. Hence, she was hiding, unable to reach her destination in time. Though she knew the soft background music covered her heavy breathing, it felt as if the sound of her breathing and beating heart filled the whole room. Finally controlling her breathing, she listened hard to hear no movements.

 

It should be safe now…

 

Slowly moving out from her position, she sighed in relief to see an empty room. Just then, her breath caught in as she saw one of the chairs swerved around.

 

The two of them just stared at each other, neither breaking from their position to make the first move. Without even consciously knowing it, Nicolette began to slowly back away, while Junhyung just watched her. When her hand touched the railing surrounding the spiral staircase, it was like a shock ran through her body. She immediately turned and went down the steps, away from his intense gaze. Watching her disappear from his view, Junhyung finally knew the existence of the hidden stairs. Sighing, he leaned back into the chair, turning it slowly from side to side.

 

So that’s how she disappears all the time! There’s a secret exit!

 

Still idly turning the chair, Junhyung decided not to give chase after her anymore. She obviously knew the ship inside out. For sure, if she wants to, she can escape without him having a clue. No point wasting energy for an empty wild goose chase…

 

Heaving a sigh, he pushed himself off the chair and walked towards the exit.

 

He stopped at the calling of his name.

 

“Junhyung… ssi…”

 

--------------------

 

The soft light filling the room subtly stilled her anxious mind. Sighing, her breath fogged up the glass, causing her a light smile. Her smile faded when she realized she was alone.

 

He did not follow me here?

 

As soon as that thought formed, her mind entered into conflict.

 

I’m waiting for him to come?

Wait, I’m wanting him to follow me?

No way… I don’t want him here with me. He’s scary… or do I?

But he did waste his time and energy to chase after me…

But still… just the two of us…

 

Groaning, she buried her face into her hands. Knowing what she should do, she took a deep breath and turned around. The climb up the stairs almost seemed like eternity. Carefully peeping over the railings, she was stunned to see the seat empty. Without thinking, she ran up the last few steps, her eyes desperately searching for him. Spotting him already near the exit, her voice called out on its own.

 

“Junhyung… ssi…”

 

The two pairs of stunned eyes met each other and Nicolette flushed at the sudden awkward situation she had plunged into. Flustered by the heat rushing into her head and neck, she looked away, her tongue trying to form the words long formed in her mind.

 

“Err… Junhyung… ssi… I- I’m not running away. You can… you can follow me if you want.” Her voice decreased as she rubbed her legs together nervously, her hands already red from wringing them so tightly. Unable to make herself look up at him, she backed away slowly until she was safely back in her haven. Junhyung just watched as she backed away, still unsure on whether to follow her or not, unsure if he had interpreted what she said correctly.

 

But if she came back to call me means she wants me to follow right?

 

Assuring himself that it must be so, Junhyung walked towards the winding staircase.

 

“Captain’s Bridge.” He read aloud, unsure of what it meant.

 

Slowly descending down the steps, he looked around, observing his surroundings. The red glow cast about the room gave him a slightly eerie feeling, but that was countered by the warm sunlight filtering through in through the glass panels. He walked over to stand beside Nicolette, but not directly beside her though. She was just standing there quietly, looking through the glass. She tensed up when he stood near her, but yet, she seemed calm. Shrugging the though aside, Junhyung imitated her and looked through the glass as well.

 

What does she like about this? It’s just some people standing around and a bunch of weird equipments and screens…

 

Sighing in boredom, he ran his hand through his hair.

 

“This is my favourite hiding place on the cruise ever since I was young. It always feels so serene.” Nicolette’s clear voice suddenly cut the thickening silence. “Not many people come here, and even if they do, they don’t stay long. There are other stuff here as well, including information and history of this cruise.” She said, indicating with her hands, the framed panels hanged on the walls.

 

Junhyung did not really understand the words, but he caught the meaning. He began to look around the small room.

 

Right in the middle stood a glass casing enclosing a detailed model of the very ship they were on. Junhyung removed his shades to see better in the already dim room. Hung all around the room were framed panels describing the history of Star Cruises, how the ship was built, the different sister cruises, the captains driving the ship, the amount of supplies an average cruise consumes…

 

Who would actually keep note of this? Junhyung wondered as he stared at this particular board.

 

The amount of water.

The amount of chicken.

The amount of duck.

The amount of rice.

The amount of detergent.

The amount of toilet paper…

 

 

Junhyung frowned. Like who would want to know how much toil-

 

His thoughts were interrupted by an almost blinding flash and a click.

 

Startled, he looked up, only to be blinded by yet another flash. Blinking away the white spots dancing around his view, his eyes adjusted once again to find Nicolette staring at him, slowly lowering her phone.

 

Wait. Was that fear in her eyes?

 

“Mi… Mi… mianhae, J- Junhyung-ssi…” she stuttered, obviously scared of him.

 

Junhyung scowled and walked menacingly towards her. Nicolette just stood there, frozen in distress. Junhyung raised up his hand. Nicolette shut her eyes tightly, her body stiffening, tensed for the coming impact…

 

She gave a startled yelp as she felt a force pull her towards its warm source. Clinging onto the source for support to stabilize herself, she looked up to see Junhyung looking straight ahead.

 

A flash. A click.

 

Yah! Look at this!

 

Looking at Junhyung’s hand, she was stunned to see her phone in his hand, even more so at the picture on the screen. A picture of her, clinging onto him, looking up at him, his left hand resting comfortably on her shoulder, his infamous smirk proudly worn on his face.

 

A tap on the back of her hand brought her back to her senses, and she finally realized where her hands were still resting. Embarrassed, she pushed herself away, unable to keep the heat out of her face. Unsure of what to do now, she nervously played with her hands, until an object was dropped in them.

 

Here, let’s take another one. You weren’t looking the last time.

 

Nicolette couldn’t understand the Korean words flowing out of his mouth. But somehow, she knew he wanted another picture. Hesitating, she felt his cold hand wrap around her warm one, making it tighten over her phone, her every movement stuck to his. Their arms straightened, camera facing them, fingers on the button. Just as their fingers pressed down, she felt icy cold digits touching her left cheek.

 

Look! I look so cool while you’re not!” Junhyung laughed, as they looked at the picture together. He had worn back his shades again, standing behind her, his left hand pinching her cheek, distorting her face.

 

“You look funny!” he laughed, his rich voice filling the room.

 

You sound funny. Nicolette started giggling at that thought, but soon she could not control herself, her laughter contained in the room, mixing with his.

 

I guess… He’s not so scary after all…

 

She reminds me of someone… the way she laughs…

 

! Yoseob!

 

Grabbing her hand, Junhyung pulled her along as he hastily made an exit.

 

Come on! Let’s go!

 

Eh?!

 


 

well, i didn't take too long for this update right?? =P

comments?? <3