Chapter 1

Cruise to No-Where... with BEAST?!

Chapter 1!          When Two Worlds Collide

 

“Two more minutes… Just another two more minutes and I can be on my way…” she mumbled, looking up from her watch to check the time on the clock in the room. Sighing in impatience, she glanced across the small room, seeing that all the boys were behaving themselves and were reading their books quietly, she glanced back at her watch again, watching the seconds tick by. Having to wait while being so excited was one thing she hated, and all her class boys had left for home already, so she had no one to distract her while she waited.

 

Nicolette Lin worked in an after-school daycare centre, helping to take care of primary school boys when their school finished. Her class consisted of 40 primary one boys, of which 24 were under her care. Her job scope consisted of ensuring the boys behave themselves, and that their homework are done, and their spelling are learnt. Every day was different; the boys had new antics every day. But this was a job she loved.

 

“Hey boys! Keep your books now and wait outside!” The senior teacher yelled into the library.

 

The boys scurried to keep their books quickly and grabbed their things, while Nicolette pushed her relatively long frame from the wall and hurried to her class to grab her things. She had prepared everything beforehand, so that on 6.30pm on the dot, she can just grab her things and go. Slinging her big back pack over her shoulders, she slipped on her sandals and walked towards the exit, carefully avoiding the small boys still scurrying around.

 

“Bye Grace!” she said, passing through the small gate the centre had.

 

“Bye! Have a good trip!” her friend and fellow-colleague replied, sitting on the seat outside the office, watching the boys sitting in a row, waiting for their parents to come. Everyone took turns to watch the boys from 6.30pm to when their parents come. Nicolette wasn’t on duty, so she could leave.

 

This was the first time she had left the centre so early.

 

Nicolette had timed everything carefully. The walk from the centre to the nearest MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) station was roughly a 10 minutes walk, while the ride to Harbor Front station was 20 minutes. So by the time she reached the check-in counter, it would be pass 7pm, but still before the boarding gate closed.

 

Running her hand through her short hair, she trudged towards her destination.

 

-------------------------

 

“Where are they!” she sighed exasperatedly. She scanned the waiting area again, but still could not spot the people she was searching for. Irritated, she pulled out her phone and dialed a number.

 

“Nicole!” a familiar voice rang.

 

Trying to mask her annoyance, she cut off the line, turning to find her mother pushing her grandmother in a wheelchair, her mother’s friend not far behind.

 

“Let’s go in.”

 

Finally, the irritations faded and the excitement rose. It was time to board the cruise. Walking down the long corridor to the cruise’s entrance, everything was all too familiar; nothing much had changed here since the last time. The cruise’s mascot waited along the way, welcoming the passengers, taking photos with them; the dancers on the cruise waited along the way, welcoming passengers, taking photos… then finally, the crossing over to the cruise.

 

It was finally time to start the vacation!

 

-------------------------

 

Yah hyung! Are you sure no one can recognize us when we’re wearing so little disguises?” the maknae whispered, pulling his hood over his head to hide his blonde hair.

 

Just trust Joonkun hyung. Besides, there’s not that much BEAUTIES here I think… They’re not expecting us anyway, so they probably won’t think it’s us even if they see us!” Doojoon tried to reassure the group, while he himself nervously looked around. “Yah! Remove the hood! You’re only making yourself more obvious! No one wears a hoodie outside here. Much less with the hood on!” He hissed, pulling the hood off Dongwoon’s head.

 

But hyung…” Dongwoon pleaded.

 

You look like a foreigner with your blonde hair, so just leave it. You won’t stand out from the other Europeans going on board!” Doojoon said firmly.

 

Dongwoon gave up arguing, hanging his head low as he followed his hyungs. Everyone else wisely kept their mouth shut, silently following the instructions from their manager. All the shades, scarves, hoodies, hats would only make them stand out all the more here in Singapore. Hence, they were not to use any of these disguises. Every member was feeling really awkward and nervous to be out without any form of disguise, especially when they did not want fans discovering them.

 

Aish. If only the boarding time is not in the evening…” Junhyung complained.

 

Even if we were out in the open in the afternoon sun, you’re not allowed to wear your shades! Besides, you have to learn to not be so reliant on your shades all the time! One day without it won’t kill you! Now stop complaining! Jeez…” Doojoon almost snapped back.

 

Their manager had left him in charge ever since they left the van, and he had to make sure they reach their cruise safely. Their manager had collected their card keys already so all they had to do now was enter the ship. They had arrived late so most of the people should be on board already. So they were running late, the signs to the cruise centre was confusing, Doojoon was already feeling uncomfortable, lost, and worried, and the complaints from the group was not helping. If only he could find the way to the boarding gate and get everyone on board, everything would be so much better!

 

Hyung! I think that’s it” Hyunseung broke Doojoon’s worried train of thought, pointing ahead, where a huge sign said Boarding Gate. The group seemingly sighed in relief as they hurried to their destination.

 

After passing through immigration, the luggage X-ray machine, metal detectors, BEAST was finally on their way down the corridor to the cruise! Already one could easily see the difference. Most of their worries and nervousness were replaced with anticipation and excitement. Yoseob and Dongwoon especially began behaving like small boys, chatting excitedly for a moment, then standing in silent awe, peering at the enormous cruise through the windows in the passageway.

 

SuperStar Virgo

 

THERE’S A PENGUIN!” Kikwang suddenly squealed, startling the rest with his sudden high-ness.

 

Kikwang rushed forward, Dongwoon and Yoseob not far behind. Junhyung sighed at their childishness, while Doojoon and Hyunseung just enjoyed themselves, lost in their own world already.

 

“Good evening, sirs. Would you like to take a photo with Charlie? Charlie, say hi.” The smiling photographer said.

 

The penguin turned to face the guys and waved, motioning them to gather together for a photo. They gathered excitedly, Doojoon even did his favourite pose.

 

“Wow! That’s great! Hope you’ll enjoy your cruise!” the photographer said, ushering them on their way.

 

After another turn in the corridor, they were greeted by yet another photographer. This time, the model was a beautiful dancer on the cruise. The guys posed once more.

 

“Have a nice evening!” the dancer and photographer said.

 

Finally, BEAST reached the end of the corridor, where their passports were collected and they finally boarded the ship.

 

We’re on the ship! We’re on the ship!” Yoseob shouted, excitedly jumping around.

 

Yah! Behave yourself! You’re still in public!” Junhyung nagged.

 

Umma, relax! Just enjoy yourself here okay?” Hyunseung said, ignoring the annoyed glare from Junhyung, already walking though the ship’s corridor, admiring the decorations and simply enjoying the fact that they were on board a cruise.

 

BEAST made it to their rooms, with Junhyung still complaining, Kikwang, Yoseob and Doojoon going high, and Dongwoon and Hyunseung quietly enjoying themselves and laughing at the boys goofing around. The corridor was not really wide, and was lined with luggages outside some of the rooms. The boys checked their room keys to find out which room they were in. The six of them were split into two rooms, three in each room.

 

I’m in 9575! Who’s with me?” Doojoon announced.

 

Kikwang and Dongwoon raised their hands, as Doojoon slipped the card key into the slit and the light blinked green.

 

Omo! This is so cool!” Kikwang yelled, slotting his card key into the slit to see the green light even though the door was already opened, and the rest of his roommates were trying to enter the room.

 

Wah! I want to try too!” Yoseob exclaimed excitedly, eagerly slotting his card key into the slot for room 9577, spazzing over the green light.

 

Oh great! I’m stuck with the crazy Yoseob!” Junhyung complained (yet again), “Sheesh… But at least I still have Hyunseung in the room…” he muttered.

 

Hyunseung just shook his head in amusement, deciding to ignore Junhyung’s complaints if he’s not going to listen and loosen up. Since they are now having the vacation of a lifetime, why get caught up in all the negative things when one can simply enjoy what’s been given? It was past time to enjoy being here.

 

The rooms BEAST had did not have an ocean view as the rooms were in the middle of the ship, but it was simply yet well decorated, making the room seem larger than it was. The bathroom was to one side of the entrance, with cupboards opposite, a small dressing table besides the cupboards. The far end of the room had two single beds against the walls, and an opened foldable bed stuck on one wall, above one of the beds. A huge picture covered the wall facing the door, while another hung on the empty space above the bed.

 

[what the room looks like]

[this is to show the foldable bed, ie, where the boy is lying]

 

Hyung! There’s a door!” Yoseob yelled, quickly unlocking it to discover Dongwoon standing on the other side, his side of the door already opened. Immediately the members in room 9575 crowded at the connecting door loudly talking excitedly.

 

Oh great… Crazy members of the world unite! I’m claiming this bed.” Junhyung said, dumping his bag on the single bed. “That’s if anyone heard me…” he muttered, unheard over all the clamour.

 

I call the lower bed then!” Hyunseung said, when the members finally decided to go unpack instead of talking at the connecting doors.

 

Okay! Me takes the higher bunk!” Yoseob said childishly, grinning like a small kid.

 

Hyung, I’m pretty sure you don’t want Yoseob on the bunk above you, especially if he’s going to be so high the whole trip. If he jumps on the bed, you’ll be in trouble.” Junhyung warned.

 

Good point. Seob, you’re sleeping below.

 

WAE!!!!” Yoseob whined.

 

Stop behaving like a kid, will you?” Junhyung nagged.

 

Junhyung, you should just loosen up or you won’t enjoy the trip! What’s wrong with you anyway, you’re usually not so grumpy!” Hyunseung said.

 

It’s all because he doesn’t have his shades!” Doojoon teased from the other room. The connecting doors to the two rooms were left open.

 

Junhyung scowled.

 

The three guys in the other room had settled their sleeping place peacefully, through playing rock paper scissors. Doojoon slept on the upper bunk, Kikwang below him, and Dongwoon claimed the other single bed.

 

Yah! I’m hungry! Can we go eat now?” Kikwang said.

 

Let’s go!

 

-----

 

BEAST finally found the Pavilion, where Chinese food was served, after asking around. This was one of the three main restaurants on the ship where passengers could eat as much as they liked without paying. The interior was designed traditional Chinese style, and the Chinese food served was so nice, they ordered seconds. To their surprise, the restaurant was not really crowded and there was no queue to get in.

 

Joonkun hyung was right. This place really doesn’t have much people.” Doojoon said, looking around their table. Most of the people around them was either getting on in their years, or were parents with young children.

 

“Good evening sirs. Are you enjoying the food?” a photographer approached them.

 

“Yes. Food, nice!” Doojoon replied, raising two thumbs. The rest of BEAST nodded in agreement.

 

“Why don’t we take a photo to remember this evening? Sir, if you would just move over to that side of the table?” the photographer said.

 

BEAST followed the instructions from the photographer, and yet another photo of BEAST was added to their collection, after which, they took individual shots.

 

-----

 

“A photo madam?”

 

“No need, no need. Just take the three of them.”

 

“Madam…”

 

“Liz, just come and take the photo with us!” Mrs Lin told her friend.

 

After some persuasion, her friend finally complied. Liz, was a close friend of Mrs Lin, and regularly frequented the cruise, hence, she knows the place inside out and most of the staff, just like they know her.

 

“Hey, you keep that photo for me, okay? No need to display it.” Liz told the photographer. He nodded and walked off to another table. “Nicolette, do you want more food?”

 

“No, no. I had enough. Thanks.” Nicolette hurriedly said. She and her siblings ate a lot compared to most youths, though their size doesn’t reflect so. When they had first met Aunt Liz, she was fascinated at the sight of them eating, as they made it seem like the food was the most delicious in the world. From then on, whenever they met, Aunt Liz would always feed the kids in excess.

 

After chit-chatting around the table for a while, they decided to leave. When they had left the restaurant, Nicolette suddenly realized she left her handphone back at the Pavilion.

 

“Mom, I left something behind, I’ll go get it.”

 

“Okay, we’ll be walking around the lobby, it’ll do your grandma some good.”

 

Nicolette ran back to the restaurant, relieved to find the table not yet cleared, and her phone still on the table. She kept her phone safely and went out again, running once she was out of the restaurant.

 

Good thing there’s not much people around.Just as she thought that, she rounded a corner and crashed into a solid wall. The breath was knocked out of her lungs, and the next thing she knew, she was on the floor, the solid wall of a human being on top of her, almost crushing her. The man pushed himself half-off her, his face now in full view. Her breath stopped, as she saw his face, his sharp features not covered by his short black hair, his dark brown eyes still trying to focus, oblivious of the girl underneath him or their scandalous position.

 

No way… It can’t be him. There’s no way he’ll be here. This is just a guy who looks like him, that’s all. Yes, that’s right, he looks different from what I always see on the net.

 

Hyung! Are you okay? Omo…” five guys asked, quieting down when they saw the compromising position they were in. Uh oh…

 

Six guys… Korean… OH MY GOD!!! NO WAY!!!!

 


 

AND THEY MEET!!! xD  keke... but who did she bump into?? any guesses? Clue? it's not Dongwoon for sure. =P

 

i'm sorry if the chapter's too long or too draggy or too boring or... whichever way, i really hope you all enjoyed the first proper chapter! =) please leave comments. me loves comments! <3 but don't worry, if you're a silent reader i'll still love you! =P but comments make me feel loved and encourages me to write. =)

 

thanks for all the comments and subsciptions thus far! =D

and i'm posting this slightly earlier than expected since i don't need to leave so early... but now i really have to go, so just before i click Update, here's wishing you all a HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!!

 

新年快乐!