Chapter 11

Cruise to No-Where... with BEAST?!

Chapter 11!          Want A Game?

 

Pushing open the door, the figure stood at the doorway, squinting against the wind. He smiled when he saw that the precipitation had reduced to a mere drizzle.

 

I guess it was a good idea to take that siesta after all.

 

Walking towards the courts, which were dry thanks to the covering overhead, he realized someone was already there before him. Through the netting, he saw that solo person shooting hoops, obviously not doing very well.

 

Hmm… Since there’s another empty court, let’s play some ball! Now if I can just remember where the activity cen- … wait…

 

Walking closer, he peered through the netting at the person within.

 

Is that not the princess they were talking about?

 

--------------------

 

Shoot! Why do I keep missing! She cursed in frustration in her mind as the ball went round the ring twice before rolling off the hoop.

 

“I really lost touch after so long…” she mumbled to herself, as she ran to the bouncing ball, dribbling it back to her spot. Inhaling a deep breath, she frowned in concentration and launched the ball. She gave a short and sharp whoop as the ball went straight through the hoop. Running, she dribbled the ball again, repeating the process another two times, getting the same results. Grinning like an idiot, she watched the ball bounce to a stop, wiping the small streams of perspiration from her face. The sudden clapping of hands behind her disrupted her small victory. Turning around, she was at a lost when she realized who was the person applauding her success.

 

“Want a game?” Doojoon grinned.

 

Still surprised by his sudden appearance, it took a while for Nicolette to register the question.

 

“Err… Erm… O-okay, I guess…”

 

“I can warm up first?” Doojoon asked, his hand stretched out, wanting the ball in Nicolette’s hands.

 

“Eh? Okay. I’ll… take five.”

 

Throwing the ball into his awaiting hands, Nicolette grabbed her bottle out of the corner of the court. Taking a swig of water, her eyes never left his body, watching his fluid movements as he dribbled and shot. Dressed in a simple shirt and shorts, the muscles he had developed over time from the sport in his arms and legs shown clearly.

 

Wow, he’s really good… No way I can even be a rival. Oh well, at least it’ll be a great chance and experience.

 

The ball bounced to a stop at her feet. Nicolette looked up as he approached her.

 

“Ready? You start.” He grinned.

 

“Okay.” Getting up, she took the ball and bounced it to him. “Five baskets to win.”

 

Still grinning, he passed it back.

 

It’s game time.

 

Bouncing the ball, Nicolette watched her opponent, trying to figure his next move. He just eyed her from his defensive position, not revealing anything in his expression. His eyes were not even on the ball, just looking into hers confidently. Starting to feel a little unnerved by his gaze, she decided to make a move.

 

She suddenly moved, moving as fast and as sharply as she could. Aiming towards her right, she suddenly stopped and cut to her left, dribbling past the other side of him. She made it straight to her goal, pausing to aim, she threw the ball and scored a basket.

 

“Good job!” Doojoon cheered behind her, clapping.

 

“You were not even playing.” Nicolette frowned.

 

“I want to see how good you are. Now I’ll play. To be fair, you can always start.”

 

“How is that f-” she got cut off as Doojoon threw the ball at her. “Fine!”

 

Dribbling the ball, she moved forward slowly. He’s right-handed, so his left side would be weaker… She darted forward to his left side. Just as she passed him, she saw a quick movement in front of her, and felt a rush of wind behind her. Stopping, she turned to see Doojoon changing the direction of the ball, moving towards the basket. Dribbling, he ran and threw, moving in one fluid motion, never pausing. The ball sailed through the air, hit the backboard, and entered the hoop. Slowly walking to the bouncing ball, he picked it up and threw it to her, grinning.

 

“Your eyes gave you away.” He said.

 

He was just showing off this whole time!

 

Frowning, she started again, this time, careful to not give him an opening. As she slowly advanced, he slowly began to be more aggressive, pressuring her to drop her defense and make a break, as risky as it is.

 

, I can’t get around him. What do I do? If I can just get around him and move forward a little more, I can try to shoot…

 

Looking up, her eyes locked with his confident ones, as she felt the ball spin out of the control of her hands. In an instant, the face in front of her disappeared. The tables turned, he approached the goal, Nicolette trying to defend, but his skill ensured no openings for her. Before long, he took his shot.

 

“You need to have more control on the ball. It has to be part of you. Use your fingers to control and feel the ball.” Doojoon advised, throwing the ball at her.

 

Another round ensued.

 

This time, Nicolette refused to be intimidated by Doojoon any longer, not backing away from him. Doojoon bumped into her, knocking her on the ground.

 

“You okay? I’m sorry.” He helped her on her feet, concern showing in his brown eyes.

 

“Free throw for you.” Doojoon said, tossing the ball to her.

 

She took her spot on the line and aimed.

 

“Use your left hand to help aim. Aim for the board. Use the board, it’ll help.”

 

Following his instructions, she shot, the ball bounced off the board and into the hoop.

 

Nicolette grinned, then slightly blushed as Doojoon patted her head in approval. She looked up, to see his smiling face looking down at her.

 

“So it’s 2-2 now?”

 

--------------------

 

The next round ended with a basket on his side. That round was longest thus far, with Nicolette employing the tips he had given. But still, she lost to Doojoon’s skill. Even so, one could tell that the opponents were becoming more on par.

 

--------------------

 

A swift movement, and the ball was gone from her hands again. Exhaling in frustration, she watched as Doojoon dribbled the ball in front of her, as if taunting her, not making his way to the basket. Frowning, she wondered what he was up to now.

 

“Go low. As low as you can. The lower you are, the harder to take the ball from you.” Doojoon said. “Watch the ball, anticipate the feel, then you can take it easy. Want to try?”

 

He just stood there, giving Nicolette the chance to snatch the ball from him. She watched the ball, feeling the rhythm, her hand darted forth. Just at the last minute, the ball bounced away.

 

“Not bad. But you can do better.” Doojoon said, getting back into the game.

 

Nicolette went on defense mode, blocking his way to the basket. She waited, plotted, anticipated. Her hand moved to snatch the ball, simply, obviously, knowing he would surely avoid her. He did, and she was ready. She came into contact with the ball, just as she had planned. Running, she dribbled and shot, evening the score.

 

That was good! I never expected her to try that… She learns really fast.

 

Smiling smugly, she picked up the ball, ready to start the next round.

 

Another round of battle ensued, both fighting for dominance over the ball. Her skill obviously improving. Him obviously going easy on her.

 

The battle lasted till the hoop, the ball in her possession. Pressured, she could not move to a spot she was confident to shoot from. Knowing she could not hold out much longer, she risked a shot. The ball bounced off the board, bounced off the rim. She jumped, wanting the ball, but the figure in front of her caught it instead. Within seconds, the basket was made.

 

“Rebounds are important.” Doojoon said, tossing the ball at her.

 

Bouncing the ball, Nicolette was determined to make a basket. All her scores thus far were thanks to Doojoon, she knew. He did not defend; he did a foul; he gave her a chance, taught her how to snatch the ball… She was thankful for the advices, appreciated that he was going easy on her, but she wanted to score a basket by herself, without additional, obvious help.

 

--------------------

 

She dribbled, swerved; defensive, offensive; pushing forwards aggressively yet strategically. Trusting in the memory of her muscles, she released the ball, getting a perfect basket, finally.

 

Doojoon applauded her basket, “You improved. Last round to know the winner. I won’t go easy.”

 

“You’re on!”

 

Time for the final face off.

 

The game was on. Not long after she dribbled, he snatched the ball. Quickly going on defensive, she blocked his way, waiting for the perfect moment. She struck. He moved, the ball going between his legs to the other side. She missed.

 

He’s obviously too good…

 

Loosening her defensive, she let him pass, but still kept up with him. When he was near the basket, she suddenly sped up, overtaking him, snatching the ball as she ran.

 

I can’t avoid him as well as does me… What should I do… ‘Go low’!

 

Bending her knees, she lowered herself, increasing stability and decreasing the distance between her hand and the ground. Advancing, she carefully watched his expression, waiting, anticipating his next move. He darted forward. She narrowly avoided him, almost losing control of the ball. Deciding not to risk it any longer, Nicolette launched the ball. Just as she released the ball, Doojoon jumped, his tall frame disrupting the path of the ball. The ball now in his possession, he made short work of the game, ending it with a beautiful slam-dunk.

 

“5-4, you win!” Nicolette congratulated, extending her hand.

 

“You did good too.” Doojoon complimented, giving her a firm handshake.

 

Nicolette sat down at the edge of the court, taking a large gulp of water. It has been years since she last played a proper game. Doojoon sat beside her, panting.

 

“Erm… Doojoon-ssi, do you want some water?”

 

“Oppa.”

 

“Eh?”

 

“Call me ‘oppa’. You can use ‘ssi’, then you can call me ‘oppa’.”

 

“Eh? Err… Doojoon… Doojoon o-oppa, you want some water?”

 

“Good girl! Gomawo.”

 

He took the offered bottle, taking a few gulps before returning it.

 

“Want another game?”

 


 

AHHH!!! hahaha... I've always loved basketball, so if one day I get to play with Doojoon I think I'll just die... LOL. sorry if this is boring to you guys.. >.< but she's getting closer to the boys!! =)

on another note, my musical is approaching soon... so I might really take longer to post from now... but I'll try my best to not lag too much! xP

thanks for all the support guys and gals! xD