Chapter 6

Haru Haru

 

            “I told you there wouldn’t be food,” I said when we got back home. I threw my bag in the corner and made a beeline for the kitchen. I realized I hadn’t eaten since early the night before, and my stomach was trying to eat my spine in revenge for not feeding it. There was nothing readily cookable (yes, cookable) and I was going crazy trying to figure out what to eat. The boys were also tearing apart cabinets looking for a low maintenance snack when Dakota came out of nowhere with four pizza boxes. It took about 4.75 seconds before she was descended upon like she was a carcass and the rest of us were vultures.

            “Ninja pizza is the best pizza,” I said after my third, maybe fourth slice.

            “Ninja pizza?” Daesung asked.

            “Pizza that vanishes quickly and without trace,” Dakota and I said together.

            “Where did you even come up with that?” Panda asked.

            “Ninja Turtles,” Youngbae answered. Kota and I turned to him. “What? I’ve seen the Ninja Turtle movies before.”

            I shrugged and helped myself to another slice.

            “Maknae, how many do you plan on eating?”

            “As many as I can fit in my belly, oppa,” I said to TOP.

            “I’ve never seen a girl eat so much,” JiYong added.

            “Please, this is nothing. Back home, this is dinner for me and Kota like three times a week, and that’s a whole pizza apiece.”

            “That’s crazy,” TOP said.

            “Marry me,” Panda said.

            “That’s a horrible proposal. I can’t even acknowledge that,” I said, making everyone laugh.

            “You wound me, maknae.”

            “Oh, so I’m maknae because I turned you down? I see how it is, Panda.”

            Everyone continued joking and laughing, even after the food was long gone. It took me a moment to realize it, but it was like we really were one big family. More importantly, everyone here genuinely cared about each other, and though it sounds really corny, I felt like I was in some after school special. That should have been my clue that something was going to ruin it all.

            The phone was ringing.

            “Annyeonghaseyo?” I answered.

            “Put Daesung-sshi on the line,” President Yang said.

            “Yes ahjussi. Just one moment.” I walked pack into the living room. “Dae-oppa, President Yang wants to talk to you.”

            We watched in silence as Daesung got up and walked to the phone. I don’t know about the others, but I was straining to hear what was being said. I didn’t hear much other than ‘yes sir’ and then Daesung was back.

            “JiYong, he wants to talk to you too.”

            JiYong went to hear what the President had to say and was back soon. Nobody said a word for close to three minutes. It was Daesung that broke the silence.

            “Should I go first, or do you want to?”

            “I’ll go first,” JiYong said. He turned to face all of us. “There’s no concert.”

            “WHAT?!” came the response from five people.

            “There’s some kind of protest going on and all the workers that were building the stage and doing lights and all that refuse to work. There’s no way to get a new crew in time, so the concert is pushed back indefinitely.”

            “Goodness glaciers,” I said. “But we were just at practice…”

            “President Yang just found out himself,” JiYong replied. “But Daesung has something to say as well.”

            We all turned our attention to Daesung. I knew it was bad from the look on his face. Somehow, I was more worried about his announcement than I was sad about the concert.

            “I’m leaving.”

            Stunned, I blinked a couple times like my eyes somehow had something to do with my hearing. “What?” I whispered.

            “Since there’s no show, I’m going abroad for two months, shooting my new drama. I leave with Mi Cha tomorrow morning.”

            “What?” I whispered again. I felt hot and dizzy, like I was about to pass out.

            “We’re filming in Jeju Island for two months.”

            “That’s really big Daesung,” Dakota said.

            “Yeah, you’ll do great,” JiYong said.

            “Panda, you wanna go for a walk?”

            “Yeah,” he said. “Let’s go.”

            While everyone congratulated Daesung, Panda and I slipped out. We walked around aimlessly and ended up at the same bus stop as the other night. Minutes ticked by, but I was fine just sitting there with him. As long as I wasn’t in that house, I was fine. Daesung is leaving. He’s leaving with Lee Mi Cha. I guess it’s time for me to let him go.

            “He’s really leaving,” I finally said.

            “He’ll come back before you know it.”

            “I don’t think it matters.”

            “What do you mean?” Panda asked.

            “I can’t deal with this. Youngbae is right, it’s not worth the grief,” I said. “I like him. A lot, but if he goes away then maybe I can let him go.”

            “Are you sure about this?”

            I nodded, talking as I was thinking. “It’s about time, don’t you think? Besides, I know you like me Panda.”

            I could see him blush, even in the darkness. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

            I nudged him. “I bet you don’t. It’s okay to like me. I am kind of awesome.”

            “You think very highly of yourself, don’t you Leah?” He laughed. “You are kind of cute though.”

            “See, I told you.” We sat on the bench a little while longer. “Let’s go home Panda.”

            On the way home I grabbed Panda’s hand. He seemed surprised, but didn’t say anything. Right before we went inside he pulled me into a hug. “We’ll be alright, right?”

            “Of course we will Panda.”