Chapter 31

Haru Haru

 

Dakota and Carla had been working practically nonstop for a week to finish up Hana’s room. Youngbae joked about me not helping, but between the two of them, I knew my opinion wouldn’t really matter. Besides, I trusted them to do a good job, and they did. Somehow they’d transformed the extra room which had been filled with junk before into a room that I could be jealous of. The two of them should go into business together. They’re really good at this I thought, looking at the crib that my mom’s friend had put together, and seeing how organized and clean everything was.

“Thanks Kota,” I said when I finally saw the finished product. “It’s better than I expected.”

“Always the tone of surprise,” Dakota said.

“I didn’t mean it like that,” I said. “It’s just that I haven’t actually been in here in so long that I didn’t know how nice it was.”

“You know I like this kind of stuff.”

“Yeah, you like it a little too much. How does TOP feel about your baby fever?” I teased.

“I think it makes him a little uncomfortable, but he’ll get over it soon or later.”

“Wait…Kota, is there something you need to tell me?”

“No,” she replied.

“Are you sure? The two of you have been disappearing a lot lately.”

“Believe me, you would be the first to know if anything did come up. Where’s Panda?”

I checked the time on my phone. “He’s out with my dad. They should be on their way back soon. At least I hope so.”

“Did it not go well?”

I told Dakota everything that had happened but I couldn’t read her look. When she didn’t immediately respond I was confused. “Why aren’t you saying anything?”

“What am I supposed to say? I told you your dad would probably just be hurt that you waited so long.”

“You’re not supposed to say that!”

“Then what do you want to hear?” She started to say something else, but her phone went off. She looked at it, then looked at me like she wasn’t sure what to do.

“Go meet TOP,” I said with a sigh.

“Are you sure? I can stay here and wait with you til Panda comes back.”

I waved her off. “TOP would kill me if I kept you away. Go have fun.”

She looked back at me once before leaving and heading next door. I shook my head, laughing quietly to myself. I started to stretch out on the couch when the front door opened again and I craned around to see Panda coming in. I like how he just walks in here like this is his house, I thought as he joined me on the couch.

“How’d it go with my dad?” I asked Panda when he got back.

“It wasn’t bad,” he said.

“What did you do?”

“I can’t tell you that.”

I pouted. “Why not?”

“Man Code.”

“Man Code?” I repeated dumbly. “Did you really just use that on me?”

“One does not joke about the Man Code,” Panda said seriously.

“Well excuse me. Hmph…you came back in a good mood so it couldn’t have been too bad.”

“I’m always in a good mood when I see you.”

“Aish…have you always been this corny?”

“Oh, you love it.”

“Sometimes…watch a movie with me.”

“Where is everyone?” Panda asked.

“TOP and Dakota are getting some QT, JiYong and Youngbae took those mutts of theirs to the dog park, and Dae’s running errands with Sun Young.”

“JiYong would have a fit if he heard you call Gaho a mutt. Where’s your mom?”

“She went back to work already.”

“So we’re alone?”

“Yes Panda, we’re alone.”

“Good. That means I won’t be interrupted when I do this…”

He kissed me and it was just as amazing as the first time. There was no JiYong to tell us to cut it out, and no mother to be modest in front of, so we stayed lip locked for as long as we liked.

“I thought we were watching a movie,” I said when we broke apart.

“I thought we were too, but someone can’t seem to control themselves.”

I hit his arm. “You started it!”

“You didn’t stop it,” he countered.

“You know I have a hard time saying no to you.”

“You didn’t seem to have that problem when I asked you for five kids.”

“Don’t even start that foolishness again,” I warned. “I already told you not to mention that subject for another three years.”

“But Leah-”

“I don’t want to hear it Panda. Go put Aladdin in.”

Panda groaned. “Aladdin again? Aren’t you tired of it yet?”

“Me? Tire of Aladdin? Blasphemy!” I mocked. “It’s either Aladdin or Grease,” I threatened.

“Aladdin is such a wonderful story. I like the colors too,” he said quickly.

“That’s what I thought,” I muttered. We settled in to watch the movie, and were half halfway through when I felt something weird. Panda, who’d been absently rubbing my belly paused.

“What is it?” he asked.

“I think my water just broke.”

“Oh…” Panda said, and then the reality of what I said hit him. “What did you just say!?”

“I said,” as calmly as I could, “my water just broke.”