Chapter 20

Haru Haru

            Apparently I’d fallen asleep because I woke up to an extremely quiet house. I got out of bed and wandered around. I found a note attached to the big screen upstairs telling me that they’d all gone out and they would be back before long. I crumpled up the note and decided to watch a movie until they came back. I went downstairs to pop myself my some popcorn when someone came home. To my delight, it was SeungRi.

            “You couldn’t hang?” I teased.

            “I just wanted to come back and be with you,” he said. Lately, he’d been a lot more serious and it kind of bothered me. Whatever it was that Papa YG had said to him must have really bugged him, but I was determined not to say anything to him about it until he was ready to talk to me about it.

            “Well you came back at the perfect time,” I said, pouring the popcorn into a bowl. “The IRIS movie is coming on.”

            “Haven’t you watched that like three times already?” he asked, following me upstairs.

            “It’s a good story,” I replied. “Although every time I watch it, TOP creeps me out.”

            “Do you think he’s going to snap your neck or something?”

            “Well, no, but I didn’t expect him to do that in the show either, so…”

            “You’re funny,” he said.

            I stuck my tongue out at him and we settled down to watch the movie. Near the end, the two main characters saw some children playing near a Christmas tree. They started talking about how cute the kids were and the guy asked her to give him five. The woman spun around, asking if she was being proposed to, and when she realized he didn’t have a ring he told her she couldn’t even recognize it.

            “Hey! You did that to me,” Panda said.

            “That was forever ago,” I replied. “And I stand by it. You can’t propose without a ring. Some things just aren’t done.”

            “You shouldn’t be picky. If a guy asks you to marry him, you should accept.”

            “If he wants to marry me, he needs to have a ring.”

            “Aish, you are something else,” he said.

            “Oh you love me,” I teased.

            “That’s true.”

            The movie went off and even though I’d seen it before, it still made me mad. SeungRi was amused at my reaction, and just chuckled as I ranted at the TV. I heard footsteps and cut myself off when I saw Dae, Youngbae, and JiYong coming up the stairs.

            “What’s going on up here?” JiYong asked.

            “We just watched IRIS,” Panda said.

            “Why did you let her watch that?” JiYong complained. “You know how she gets when she watches anything k-drama related.”

            “Don’t talk about me like I’m not here!” I snapped. “And Panda doesn’t tell me what to do.”

            “Calm down maknae, I was only teasing,” JiYong said. The three of them joined us around the television. “So what’s next?”

            “Do you guys have anything to do tomorrow? If I have to deal with Hangover TOP then he’s not getting woken up. I will leave him and Dakota in that room for two days if it’s up to me to get them up.”

            “Why are you so cranky?” Dae asked. “And no, we don’t have anything important tomorrow.”

            “Good. So…have any of you guys seen X Men?” Youngbae raised his hand. “I am not surprised by that oppa.”

            He grinned. “I like Marvel.”

            I went to my room and found the box of movies I’d gotten my mom to send me ages ago and found my stack of X Men movies. I also grabbed a couple of my Batman movies, and some others, just to give the guys a few choices. I came back and showed them my haul, which caused them to laugh.

            “You’re such a dork!” Daesung said, going through the stacks. “Comic book movies, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter…do you have anything regular people have seen?”

            “If I’m a dork, Youngbae’s a dork because I’m sure he’s seen half of these.”

            “I plead the fifth,” Youngbae said.

            “Oppa! What did I tell you about picking up stuff from me and Kota? You’re not allowed to use that defense!”

            “Let’s watch Fast Five,” JiYong said. “Daesung-ie, why are you surprised? I’m sure you know by now that our maknae isn’t a normal girl.”

            “That’s true. But still, she should have at least one girly movie.”

            “I don’t believe in girly movies, and neither does Dakota although she does like musicals.”

            “What’s wrong with girly movies? Aren’t you a girl?” Dae asked.

            “Girly movies take too long to get to the point, for one,” I said, putting Fast Five in the DVD player. “And they always want to kiss or something at a crucial point. There’s a time and place for everything.”

            “What was that?” JiYong asked. “Did you just complain about people kissing in the wrong place? Hmmm….that sounds vaguely familiar.”

            “You’re just jealous oppa,” I said.

            “Slightly,” he admitted, “but more grossed out than anything. I mean seriously, I consider both of you family so seeing you stick your tongues down each other’s throats is kind of weird,” he said.

            “I’m sorry it bothers you so much oppa,” I said.

            “I’m not,” SeungRi said, and kissed me until I was breathless.

            “I thought we were watching a movie,” Daesung complained.

            “If Tom & Jerry here weren’t playing games, I would have started the movie a long time ago,” I said glaring at Panda and JiYong who were staring at each other. There was way too much testosterone in the air at the moment. I got up and moved next to Youngbae, making Panda lose the staring competition as he turned to me.

            “What are you doing over there?” he asked.

            “I’m sitting with Youngbae since you and JiYong are having a moment,” I said.

            “Don’t do that,” he whined. “Come back and sit next to me. I’m lonely.”

            JiYong made a gesture like he was puking that I could have sworn people stopped doing when I was in grade school. “I’ll sit next to you SeungRi-ah,” Daesung teased. He started to move, but I reclaimed my spot.

            “Sorry oppa, but I don’t share well,” I said.

            “Now I’m lonely,” Youngbae fake-pouted.

            “Oh well,” Panda said. “She’s mine, and I don’t share well either.”

            “Don’t be like that, Panda. Youngbae can sit on the other side of me,” I said.

            Panda moved and stretched out on the couch, pulling me backwards to lay on his chest. “Nope, there’s no room.”

            “You’re so childish,” I said playfully.

            “Shh! The movie’s starting,” Dae said.

            I got yelled at like four or five times during the movie for doing the lines along with the actors. I’d watched this movie a thousand times back home with Dakota and I couldn’t help reciting my favorite parts. More than once I was threatened if I didn’t be quiet. I was bickering with JiYong about him being mean to me when TOP and Dakota finally came home, steadier than I thought they’d be.

            “Well look what the cat dragged in,” I said. “What happened? There must be some reason you’re home this early.”

            “It’s like two in the morning Leah, what are you talking about?” Kota asked. She spoke clearly enough, but I could see her eyes were having a hard time focusing.  

            “I didn’t realize it was that late.” I stood up and stretched, the bones in my back cracking. “I’m going to bed,” I told Panda. “You coming?”

            “In a minute,” he said.

            “Don’t rush. I think I’m going to call my mom.”

            I bid the others goodnight and went to my room. After changing into my pajamas, I glanced at the clock and noted that she was probably just getting off work since she usually got off early on Fridays. I called her, knowing that she wouldn’t tell me what to do, but I really wanted to hear what she had to say.
            “Hey mommy,” I said when she answered the phone.

            “Hey girl. How have you been?”

            “I’ve been okay,” I answered truthfully. “I’m just a little worried about SeungRi and what’s going to happen to us once I have to come home.”

            “It’s not good for you or the baby if you stress too much. Have you talked to your boss?”

            “No.”

            “Why not?”

            “Because his office is creepy. Besides, I’ve already got one of his boys caught up. I can’t go begging him for help.”

            “You’re just like your ol’ ugly daddy,” she said. “What harm is asking for help going to do?”

            I hated that she had a point. “Fine, I’ll go see him tomorrow.”

            “Good. Now let me tell you about these kids of mine.”

            My mom and I chatted about the kids at her school. In my opinion, they all needed a good behind whipping, but that’s just me.

            “Before I go, everyone here really misses you. I know you don’t want to leave your friends there, but I’ll be glad when you get home.”

            “I miss you guys too.”

            “I’m proud of you Leah.”

            “Thanks mommy.”

            “Tell everyone I said hello. Bye sweetheart.”

            The call disconnected, and I was struck by a wave of homesickness. My mom was right-I didn’t really want to leave SeungRi and the others, but the idea of going home sounded pretty good.

            SeungRi came into the room looking preoccupied. He absolutely refused to talk to me about his and Papa YG’s talk, but it was killing me to see it eat at him.

            “My mom says hi,” I told him.

            “Are you sure she’s okay about all this?” he asked.

            “You sound like JiYong,” I teased.

            “I’m serious,” he snapped. I took a step back, a little shocked. He’s never spoken to me like that before. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to snap at you.”

            “It’s okay. You’re just stressed out. I understand.”

            “Would you be okay if I slept in my own bed tonight?” he asked. To be honest, no! I thought, but I didn’t tell him that.

            “It’s fine.”

            He pecked me on the cheek and went down the hall. Dakota came from the other direction and saw him leaving.

            “What happened?” she asked.

            “It’s nothing. Just giving each other some space,” I said.

            “Are you sure you’re alright?”

            I nodded. I knew that if I spoke my voice would start going up in octave and give away the fact that I was lying.

            “I know you’re lying to me,” she said. “But I’ll let it go this time.”

            “Thank you Kota,” I whispered and drifted off to sleep.