Chapter 5

Haru Haru

            “I don’t think I like the sound of that,” I said.

            “You shouldn’t.”

            “Well damn.” I turned my attention to the TV and was disappointed that the show was wrapping up. The oppas were going to be let down that we missed the show but there were extenuating circumstances. I went back to straightening up in the kitchen, complaining about the fact that all I do is clean when there was a knock on the door. There were never many visitors, except for managers who usually called before they answered, so it was surprise. I went over to the door without thinking and who would be on the other side of the door, but Lee Mi Cha.

            “What do you want?” I said when I saw her.

            “Watch yourself,” she said in perfect English. “You heard President Yang. If I let slip one little word of you being disrespectful to me, you’re done.”

            “What is your problem?” Dakota asked, coming in from the other room.

            “Mind your business, lackey,” she said.

            Where the is this from? I don’t think she understands who she’s dealing with.

            “Who the do you think you’re talking to?” Dakota asked. “You don’t run anything here, so you might want to check yourself.”

            Mi Cha turned from Dakota and back to me. “Listen here, I’ve been in this business for 10 years. I’ve had my eye on one of these Big Bang boys since they debuted and this is my chance to snatch one. I’m not about to let some stupid American girl ruin my chances or my guys.”

            “Are you stupid? What are you even talking about?”

            “Daesung-ie is mine. I don’t care how highly he thinks of you, I know you’re nothing more than a little girl who doesn’t know how to handle a real man. He needs a woman, not a child like you.”

            “Let me get this straight,” I said. “You’re jealous. You’re an old lady who’s mad because the guy she likes hangs around other girls.” I threw my head back and laughed. Who knew I’d be stuck in a real life k-drama. “And if I don’t lay down and let you have what you want, you’re going to get rid of me because you see me as a threat? Now I understand.”

            “This is much bigger than you little girl. Daesung is going to be someone really big in this industry outside of Big Bang. And I’m going to the one by his side, not you. Whatever games you have in your mind to play, you can forget about them. I’m the queen bee around here.”

            Dakota laughed with me. “You’ve been watching too much television,” Dakota said.

            “I agree. You need to get out more. Besides, it doesn’t matter that I like Daesung oppa since he doesn’t give a damn anyway. You might want to stop stressing yourself out and adding to the wrinkles on your forehead.”

            Mi Cha’s hand went up to her face and her eyes narrowed at me. “This isn’t over,” she said, and turned to leave. “By the way, it doesn’t matter if Daesung doesn’t like you. As long as you like him, half my work is done.” She slammed the door shut behind her and I dropped down and sat on the floor.

            “Hateful hag from hell,” I said under my breath and Dakota laughed.

            “I believe you stole that line.”

            “So? It applies. She’s like thirty. She’s too old to act like this.”

            “True,” Dakota said. “But you know, she did have a point.”

            I snapped my head towards her. “What do you mean?”

            “About it not mattering if Daesung likes you or not. She knows you like him, so just her presence can be enough to set you off. And now she’s going to be all clingy and just to mess with you.”        

            “Ugh! Oh well, I don’t have to put up with her if I don’t want to.”

            The boys came in, laughing about something and seeming to be in a genuinely good mood.

            “Did you watch?” SeungRi asked.

            I shook my head. “I had to go talk to Papa YG about something,” I said.

            “Are you in trouble?”

            “Kind of, but not really.”

            “Maknae,” JiYong said. “What are we going to do with you?”

            I laughed. “I’ll be good oppa, I promise. We don’t need you stressing, especially with the concert in a couple days.”

            “Speaking of, we have practice,” JiYong said. “Grab your bags, we gotta go.”

            “Can I go?” I asked.

            “Go where?”

            “To practice with you guys.”

            “Why?” Youngbae asked.

            “All Dakota and I ever do is clean. I want to get out of this house.”

            “Please let her go,” Dakota interjected. “Then I get a couple more hours off.”

            “I don’t see a problem with it,” JiYong said. “Just don’t be a distraction.”

            “Distraction? Me? Never,” I said.

            “Maknae…be glad you’re cute,” JiYong said teasingly.

            “Yay! I get to go to practice,” I singsonged.

            A car horn sounded from in front of the house and we all jumped. “Hurry up, or manager hyung will chew us out,” JiYong said. I grabbed my bag and followed the boys out to the van and off to the studio.

            At practice, I realized why TOP never really danced on stage. He spent so much time goofing around that when it came to doing the actual performance, he was pretty much spent. Still, he had a lot of energy since I swore they ran through LaLaLa, Sunset Glow, and Lollipop 2 about 4 times a piece. I was tired just watching them, but kind of proud too. I’d never really thought about how hard my ‘brothers’ worked for their fans. It was kind of cool.

            “Maknae, dance with me,” Daesung said.

            “Huh? You talking to me?”

            “Yes you.”

            “I don’t dance oppa,” I said.

            “Yeah Leah, you should run through LaLaLa with us one time, just for fun,” SeungRi jumped in. “I’ve seen you back there picking up on the moves.”

            “So that’s why you keep messing up,” JiYong said. He reminded me of an apple with the way his hair was tied up at the top. “Stop paying attention to girls, and practice right.”

            “But we’re on a break hyung. I can watch girls during break.”

            “Leah, practice with me,” TOP said, and I couldn’t say no. I mean, yes I lived with them, but I was a total fangirl/VIP and there was a massive amount of bragging points I could get with my friend Mirta back home for getting to dance with the one and only TOP.

            “Sure oppa,” I said, as SeungRi and JiYong got into a play fight, with Daesung being the commentator. Youngbae was off to the side talking to the choreographer, but when he saw me looking he gave me a smile.

            The music started to play, and though I was sure I was making a fool of myself, I danced along with TOP. What surprised me the most was during the chorus when he actually showed his stomach. Damn. Why does he wear so many effing layers when he has a body like that? I thought, but tried to keep a straight face. Even though he wasn’t being serious TOP was a pretty good dancer. The song ended and I realized that everyone had been watching us.

            “Aww look at our maknae. You really were paying attention, huh?” JiYong asked.

            “I’m very observant,” I replied.

            “Do it again,” he said.

            “Oppa. Don’t make me do it again! It was bad enough doing it once.”

            “You know, you really shouldn’t talk back to your oppas,” said a voice. Walking into the practice room was none other than Papa YG himself. Everyone paused and bowed in greeting as he came over to me, TOP, and JiYong. “I believe JiYong-sshi asked you to do something, and I think you should do it.”

            Inwardly I was cursing up a storm, but I knew better than to pitch a fit in front of the boss man. I took Youngbae’s place in the group and went through the dance until the song ended. Out of breath, I turned to the President to gauge his reaction. He stood there, his hand up to his hips, smirking. “Keep working boys,” he said, then left the room.

            When the door closed behind him, there was a collective sigh of relief. “That was interesting,” I said.

            “That’s President Yang for you. Now maknae, we do need to finish rehearsal, so go back to being an observer.”

            “Oh, so it’s like that JiYong oppa? Just kick me to the curb why don’t you? Fine, I’ll go over here, and the second you mess up I’m going to say something, loudly.”

            “I’ll take that as a challenge,” JiYong replied.

            At least he’s warmed up to me, I thought. He’s actually kind of fun when he’s not stressing himself out. I sat down in my corner again and watched the guys run through a few more songs. There was a pair of twins, Young Deuk and Young Don, who were back up dancers that I started to talk to in between songs. They were cute and funny and really cool. That’s it. I’m having Korean babies. I mean seriously, are all Korean men perfect, or is it just the ones around me? When practice was over, Young Deuk invited me out, but Panda came out of nowhere and steered me away from them.

            “Not a good idea, Leah,” he said.

             I waved goodbye to the boys before answering. “What was that about? They seem nice.”

            “I don’t think Leader hyung would approve.”

            “What wouldn’t I approve of?” JiYong asked.

            “What did I tell you about that?” I complained. “But Young Deuk and Young Don invited me out after practice.”

            “Oh.” He paused. “You should have gone. You’re the one who says you never go anywhere.”

            “But Panda said you wouldn’t like it.”

            “I think Panda’s being selfish with you, maknae,” JiYong said, playfully hitting SeungRi.

            “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” SeungRi said.

            “I’m sure you don’t,” JiYong muttered as he walked off. “Let’s go home guys. I hope Dakota made us some lunch.”

            “I wouldn’t count on it,” I said, walking out between Youngbae and SeungRi.