Chapter 22

Haru Haru

            “Hyung! Truth or dare?” Daesung asked Youngbae.

            “Truth,” he said.

            “You’ve picked truth every time,” I complained.

            “I know better than to take a dare from anyone in this room, including you maknae, and especially not Daesung-ie or SeungRi-ah.”

            “What’s the fun in not doing dares? The game is called Truth or Dare.”

            “‘Or’ being the operative word,” he shot back.

            “Can I ask my question now?”

            “Sorry Dae-oppa. Go ahead.”

            “Youngbae-ah, why won’t you let me call your sister?”

            Everyone laughed, and even though the question wasn’t serious, Youngbae answered.

            “I don’t want any of you talking to my sister,” he said. “JiYong already tried that a long time ago. It’s not going to happen.”

            “But hyung, don’t you like me?”

            “Of course I like you, but I like my sister better. I’m looking out for you both.” He paused. “So it’s my turn, right? Hmm…TOP, truth or dare?”

            “Dare.”
            “I’m not good at those,” Youngbae said. “Maknae, help me.”

            I went around the table and whispered something in Youngbae’s ear. He jerked back in surprise and looked at me with wide eyes.

            “Are you sure that’s okay? I think you’re setting me up to get in trouble.”

            “Don’t worry about it. I take full responsibility.”

            Dakota was looking at me like she was trying to read my mind, but I refused to make eye contact. I sat back down with a smirk, amused by my cleverness before Youngbae revealed the dare to the group.

            “TOP hyung, go to the kitchen, get an ice cube, and…and- I can’t say it!”

            “Youngbae! Come on, it’s just a game,” I said.

            “Get an ice cute and rub it on the back of Dakota’s neck…without using your hands,” Youngbae managed to get out.

            Dakota’s head spun towards me so fast that I got dizzy. Her eyes narrowed and I could imagine flames shooting out at me from her eyes. Apart from probably TOP, I was the only one who knew how extra sensitive Kota’s neck was. This is too amusing and the dare hasn’t even been done yet.

            TOP came back from the kitchen with the ice cube between his lips. He got down on his knees behind Kota’s chair and brushed her hair to the side. Slowly, he pressed the ice against her neck, making circles on her skin. I bit my lip to hold back my laughter. Dakota’s face was a cross between trying not to enjoy it and being utterly embarrassed. Finally her whole spine snapped straight up and she moved away. “Okay, that’s enough!” she said, and I had to wipe my eyes to catch the tears that gathered as I laughed.

            “That was against the rules,” Dakota said to me. “That was so uncalled for.”

            I tried to stop laughing, but she was shivering like she was getting aftershocks and it was entirely too funny. “I’m-I’m sorry Kota!” I managed to get out between laughs. “But you can’t lie, that was a good one. I’m proud of myself for thinking of that one.”

            “It’s not funny,” she snapped.

            “Actually Dakota, it was kinda hilarious,” Daesung said.

            “I found it entertaining,” JiYong said.

            “The rest of you still have to go,” Dakota threatened.

            We played for a little while longer and finally it was Panda’s turn. He looked at me and winked and I knew what was coming. “Leah! Truth or Dare?”

            “Truth,” I said for the first time in the game.

            “Is it true that you agreed to marry me?” he asked.

            “It’s true,” I said with a grin.

            “When did this happen?” JiYong asked.

            “You got engaged and didn’t tell me!?” Dakota shouted. “You heifer!”

            “I knew it,” Youngbae said. “I knew something was up when Leah was cooking this morning.”

            “Youngbae, you’re losing your touch. It didn’t happen until after then, when JiYong practically kicked us out of the kitchen.”

            “Again I say, you got engaged and kept it from me?” Dakota asked.

            “We wanted to wait a little while before telling you all,” I said.

            “That’s no excuse!”

            “Sorry Kota,” I said.

            “No congratulations? That’s kind of rude.”

            “Hush up SeungRi,” TOP said. “It’s about time. I’ve been tired of keeping this to myself-oops.”

            “You knew?”  Dakota and I said in unison.

            “SeungRi talked to me after his chat with President Yang. He said he was thinking about it, but it took him so long to do it that I wasn’t sure if he was actually going to go through with it or not. I’m glad to see my dongsaeng grew a backbone.”

            “You are in so much trouble later,” Dakota threatened.

            “It’s not about me. It’s about the happy couple,” TOP said, trying to divert attention away from himself.

            “Let me see your ring,” Dakota demanded.

            I pulled the chain I was wearing out of my shirt and over my head. I held it out to Dakota who gave me a weird look.

            “What?”

            “You’re supposed to be wearing the ring you retarded child.”

            “I was wearing it, just not the way you want me to.”

            “Why must you be so difficult?”

            “I’m not being difficult.”

            “What happened to the game?” Youngbae asked.

            “You mean you actually want to play?”

            “If it’ll keep you two from going at it.”

            “Will you do a dare?”

            “I guess…”

            “Any dare?”

            “Within reason.”

            “No oppa, you have to do the dare, no matter what.”

            “Fine, I’ll do the dare, just please don’t argue with Dakota.”

            I grinned. “No problem. Now, what’s a good dare for Youngbae oppa? Hmmm…” I thought for a moment before it came to me. “Oppa! I dare you to get an ice cube, stick it down your pants, and keep it there until it melts.”

            Youngbae’s jaw dropped and he turned a little bit red. “What is with you and ice?”

            Panda chuckled. “She has a thing for ice.”

            I hit him while JiYong started up again. “Aish…why would you say that? That’s not something I needed to know.”

            “Go ahead Youngbae. Don’t make me have to help you,” I added, which got me a glare from SeungRi. “I joke, I joke, I kid, I kid! Don’t look at me like that!”

            Youngbae went to the kitchen and came back. He sat down and stared at the ice cube in his hand as though willing it to do something about what was going on. It took a little coaxing but finally he grabbed it and stuck it in his pants like a champ. It took a moment for the cold to kick in and when it did, everyone had to put their heads down and laugh at the face he made.

            When the ice melted, the game was over. We all fell into another giggle fit when Youngbae stood up and we saw the prominent wet spot in the front of his pants. He looked slightly embarrassed, but that was the name of the game so I didn’t feel too bad. I followed Panda up the stairs to my room where we got ready for bed. Dakota came in a little while later and shook her head at us.

            “What’s that for?” I asked.

            “You two are something else,” she said. “We’ll talk tomorrow though. I need to have a little chat with Seung Hyun about keeping secrets… Good night.” She left and a few moments later we heard the door to TOP’s room open and close.

            “You’re lucky. Tomorrow I will have to go through hell.”

            “She can’t be that bad.”

            “How are we going to do this SeungRi? I’m leaving in a few months…”

            “Shh…let’s not talk about that okay? It’s been a fantastic day. We should let it end that way.”

            “You’re right,” I agreed. “Good night Panda.”

            “Goodnight love.”