'God, help me.'

Look at Me

 

“Are you ready, Key?” Jonghyun shouted impatiently from the door. The diva had been keeping the puppy waiting for a good hour now and Se Kyung kept sending texts about how she wanted to go.

Jonghyun could just hear Key scoff from the bathroom. “Are you seriously asking me that, Jjong?”

Sighing and opening the door, he called, “Then I’m going to go pick Se Kyung up. I’ll come back for you!”

Key cringed at thought of riding with the girl and how she’d snuggle with Jonghyun and get lovey-dovey..and ugh. He shivered and shook his head.

“Don’t bother, I’ll meet you there!” The diva ruffled his soft hair and watched it fall flawlessly fall back into place. The bandage was finally gone with approval of the doctor. He just needed to be careful of his stitches. Key smiled in approval and finished the last touches on his eyeliner.

Jonghyun stopped in the doorway and turned around. ‘Was he serious? He hates to walk.’

“Are you sure?” the puppy called out warily. Key didn’t hesitate to reply, “Yes!”

“If you say so..” Jonghyun shrugged and shut the door behind him.

Key sighed in relief and pulled his favorite ‘Baby Soft’ chap stick from his pocket and applied it to his soft lips. Rubbing his lips together, he turned to leave the bathroom but came face to face with a smirking Onew.

“So,” he grinned as he leaned up against the door frame, “are we going to talk?”

Key’s face immediately blushed a bright red and his body stiffened. ‘Breathe Kibum. Breathe.’

“Umm.. yeah. Sure. Can you let me out of the bathroom first though?” Key tried to loosen up and scratched his head nervously.

“Yeah. Come here.” Onew led the idol into the living room and sat on the couch while Key took a recliner across from him.

“Explain.” Onew’s eyes dug holes into Key’s skull and he avoided his gaze, pulling on the hem of his shirt.

“Where do you want to start?” Key kept his head down and focused on a string loose on the carpet. He’d have to cut that later.

“Well first of all, I’m not mad that you like Jonghyun, so stop acting like I’m interrogating you for murder.” Onew smiled and relaxed his arms behind his head.

Key let out a thankful sigh and the sickening pit in the bottom of his stomach disappeared. Looking up at Onew, he gave him a slight smile and ran his fingers through his hair.

“So how long?” Onew questioned him curiously.

“Umm… about four years?” Key mumbled as his brought his knees to his chest and hugged them tightly.

Onew’s eyes became wide and sat up again. “Well then,” he chuckled,” I guess I feel pretty stupid. But –I figured it out before Jonghyun, so I that makes me a little smarter than everyone else. Right?”

Key’s eyes stared blankly across the room, his chin resting on his knees.

“Yeah…”

Onew frowned, realizing he touched a tender subject. “Why haven’t you told anyone? It’s just going to hurt keeping it to yourself.”

“Well for one, none of you are… that way, so I didn’t know how you’d react to it. And two, Jonghyun’s dumb as a doorknob and I’d have to hit him with a brick screaming ‘I LOVE YOU!’ to leave a big enough hint.” Key sighed and let his head fall to the side.

“You guys are going to the fair, right? Tell him then.”

Key scoffed, “Really? He’s dating Se Kyung.”

Onew muttered to himself and put on his thinking face, elbows on his knees and face resting on his hands. Then he smiled.

“You don’t believe that he has no feelings for you, do you? When you fell, you were his whole world… He wouldn’t leave your side. He even shut his phone off when she kept calling him at the hospital.”

Key looked at him and gave a small smile. “He doesn’t like me that way. It’s only because I was hurt. Everyone was worried, hyung.”

“Okay, then even before that. Who is he always hanging out with? Who does he always want to buddy up with at hotels on tours? Who does he prefer to perform skinship with? Who does he always go to for advice?” Onew smirked and stood up to walk by the diva. He squatted down to Key’s level and pushed his bangs out of his face.

“You. Whether he realizes it or not, you are always in the picture. Maybe he just needs a little push to see why.”

A small tear slipped out of those pretty feline eyes and ran down his slender cheekbones. Onew wiped it away and kissed his forehead.

“Don’t give up before it’s even over, Kibum. It’s not like he married her. Give him a reason to see you differently. All he needs is a push. I don’t like seeing you sad and trust me, Jonghyun doesn’t either. He was really worried about you. One of these days, you’re going to get sick and we aren’t going to be able to help you.”

Standing up, Onew picked up the diva’s jacket and grabbed the car keys. Tossing his jacket to him, Onew smiled and put on his jacket as well. Key did the same and wiped his eyes a little. Seeing the gesture, Onew pulled him into a tender hug. Key sniffled again and clung to the back of his hyung’s jacket as he buried his head in his chest.

“Thanks, Jinki.” Key whispered softly and squeezed tighter.

“Don’t cry, you’ll ruin your makeup.” Onew chuckled. Key pouted and snuggled his face in his shirt. The idols stood like this for a while and then Key broke the silence.

“So who have you have you been seeing these past few nights, hyung?”

Onew’s face turned a shade of bright pink and bit his lip. Key looked up at him and smirked.

“I know you aren’t seeing a girl. I’m not stupid.”

“Um…”

“Explain, Jinki. Explain.” Key chuckled.

Onew let the younger go and scratched his head sheepishly. “This conversation is never spoken of, understand?”

“As long as you don’t meddle with my issue anymore, we have a deal.” Key held out his hand with a wide grin on his face.

Onew sighed heavily and took his hand, sealing the deal.

“Joon.”

Key’s eyes went wide and he covered his mouth with his hands, jumping up and down.

“Awhhh!!! Joon?! MBLAQ’s Joon?! Awhhhhh! I knew you two hit it off at the idol star championships! Oh my gosh! Awhhh!” Key squealed fangirl style.

Onew blushed and walked out the door toward the car. “This is never spoke of ever again unless I say otherwise, now do you want a ride or not?”

Key squealed silently and followed his hyung outside, locking the door. He joined Onew in the front and heard him muttering ‘Stupid Key’ and ‘I told him he’d find out.’ Key smiled and buckled up before turning to the window, seeing the beautiful lights of the fair. Taking a deep breath, Key thought of Jonghyun and prepared himself for the night ahead.

‘This is going to be a long night,’ he thought. Onew left the driveway toward the lights and Key quickly closed his eyes and clenched his hands.

‘God, help me survive this alive.’ Key prayed earnestly and desperately for when they arrived at the gate, two figures sat snuggled on a bench, one waving him over. The other figure didn’t look as happy.

“Good luck, Key,” Onew smiled. Key gave him a small smile in return and got out of the car.

“Fighting!” Onew called as the younger shut the door and turned to face the torture and source of his life.

“Key! Over here!” Jonghyun called, waving his arm. The girl on his arm held a plastic smile, a fake smile. Key knew it well. It was the ‘Die ’ smile that was all too familiar to him.

‘Here we go…’ Taking a deep breath and putting on a fake smile, Key quickly ran up to the couple. With every step he took, he desperately wanted to run the other way.

‘God help me.’