Playing Cupid

Look at Me

 

“Hey, we’re ba-”

“Shhhhhh!!!” Onew came running at the door with a finger to his lips.

Minho and Taemin stopped in their tracks, surprised to be shushed by the elder. Onew pointed to the couch before taking the brownie mix and whispering, “Thanks,” then headed to the kitchen.

Quietly tiptoeing by the couch, Taemin grinned and waved Minho over as he took his phone out of his pocket to take a picture.

Breathing peacefully, Jonghyun was lying lazily across the couch with his knees propped up against the head of the couch. Between his bent legs lied Key, resting his head on the puppy’s stomach and his arms wrapped loosely around Jonghyun’s waist with his knees tucked into his abdomen. The elder had his hand lying gently across Key’s back and the other behind his own shaggy head.

‘They look so peaceful… it surprisingly looks so natural. It’s like they’ve been together for years…’ Taemin gazed longingly at the sleeping couple and sighed.

Minho nudged the younger and motioned his head toward the kitchen. Looking up at the elder, Taemin bit his lip thoughtfully and quietly followed him into the kitchen.

Onew was setting the temperature on the stove, brownie mix all stirred up and ready to bake. Minho leaned against the counter and poked the dubu.

“How long have they been lying there?” he whispered amusingly.

“Soon after you two left. I guess the movie wasn’t all that interesting because within fifteen minutes, they were both out.” Onew grinned.

“It’s going to take some getting used to, watching them together like that…” Taemin mumbled softly, gazing back towards the couch. Minho ruffled the younger’s head and gave him a smile before heading toward the bathroom.

“I’m going to take a quick shower, save some brownies for me, Jinki!” Minho chuckled quietly.

“You wish!” Onew whisper-yelled back. Turning back to the oven, he placed the brownies in and set the timer. He looked up at the maknae to see him still staring at the couch. Poking him, Onew raised an eyebrow and gave him a questioning look.

“You okay?”

Taemin looked at the elder, then glanced back at the couch where the couple slept peacefully.

“I don’t really know, hyung…” he murmured softly. Putting his arm around Taemin’s shoulder, Onew led him into the idol’s bedroom and closed the door before sitting on the bed with the younger.

“What’s going on, Tae?” Onew asked slightly concerned.

“I’m not sure… Key looks so happy with Jonghyun. It’s like they’ve been together forever.” Taemin looked at the floor, trying to sort out his thoughts.

“Well, they kinda have, Tae.” Onew laughed and rubbed Taemin’s back. “It’s just now they’ve finally stopped being stupid and seen the obvious.”

“Yeah… but seeing them like that…so happy and… well, it makes me want to be brave enough to… um…” Taemin fidgeted nervously with his hands and kept his eyes on the floor.

Onew stopped and paused for couple seconds with wide eyes before grinning like the Cheshire Cat. Taemin looked up at his hyung nervously but was taken aback by his huge smile.

“Hyung..? Are you okay?” Taemin asked nervously.

“Yeah. Just peachy.” Onew laughed heartily and wiped a tear from his eye. Sitting up and giving the younger a softer smile, he gave him an honest answer.

“Just tell him.”

Taemin’s eyes went wide and left his mouth open slightly, trying to understand how he knew.

“B-but, hyung! How –”

“Shhhh…” Onew put a finger to Taemin’s lips and gave him a look. “I’m not as dumb as I seem to portray, okay? It’s my job to look after you guys, and I’ve seen the looks you give Minho for a couple years now. Key just happened to be a little more subtle and it took me a little longer to see it.”

Taemin sat on the bed, lost in his thoughts, as Onew ruffled his head.

“Don’t worry about it, Tae. I’m sure that if you did tell Minho, he wouldn’t push you away. In fact, I’m certain he wouldn’t.” Onew chuckled.

“He wouldn’t?” Taemin looked up at his hyung with shiny eyes and Onew pulled him to his feet into a hug.

“Positive.”

Onew held the younger there as he returned the hug, just standing there in silence.

“Hyung?”

Onew let him go and wiped the small tear in Taemin’s eye with his thumb. “Yeah?”

“Why does it look like you’re playing matchmaker?”

Onew paused a moment before bursting into laughter again, making his way toward the door to the kitchen.

Turning around, he looked back at the maknae.

“I guess it does look that way, doesn’t it?”

 

--

 

Ba-bump … Ba-bump …Ba-bump

‘This is nice…’ Key smiled and savored Jonghyun’s touch as the puppy gently massaged small circles between his shoulder blades. Closing his feline eyes, Key smoothly slipped his arms farther under his boyfriend’s back, nuzzling his cheek into Jonghyun’s sweatshirt.

“Hey..”

Key melted at the smooth sound of the idol’s voice. God, how he loved that. Looking up, Key smiled at the sight of Jonghyun’s chocolate brown puppy eyes gazing down at him.

“Hey, yourself..”

Jonghyun chuckled softly and ran his fingers through the rapper’s soft hair, making a wave of sleepiness wash over Key, his eyes flutter closed.

“Don’t go back to sleep, yeobo… I think I heard Taemin and Minho come in earlier. Onew started the brownies too… smells good.” Jonghyun smiled as his stomach rumbled, running shivers up Key’s arms as his head stayed rested on the puppy’s torso.

“I don’t want to make supper… You’re really comfortable.” Key mumbled, giving Jonghyun a little squeeze to show his protest. Sitting up, Jonghyun gently pried the younger’s arms from his waist and pecked Key’s cheek.

“Then I guess we can just eat brownies for supper.” Jonghyun suggested with a grin, waiting for the diva’s reaction.

“No! That’s horrible!” Key protested, as Onew walked happily into the kitchen.

“What’s horrible?” Onew asked with a sly grin.

Key furrowed his eyebrows and eyed the elder up and down suspiciously.

“What did you do?”

Onew just smiled and pulled the brownies out of the oven, placing them on a cooling rack.

“Just helped a friend,” he said simply. “It’s 7pm and the oven’s already on. Can I just pop in a pizza or something? I’m going to scarf this entire pan of brownies soon if I don’t eat something.”

Key opened his mouth to argue the unhealthy aspects of the greasy freezer-burnt product but stopped, remembering how comfortable he was inJonghyun’s lap and how lazy he felt.

“Hell, why not? I’m not getting up though. You can put it in.” Key retorted as he pushed Jonghyun back down on the couch and snuggled into his torso, arms wrapped around the puppy’s waist.

“Yah!” Jonghyun blushed at the sudden action; one because he was not expecting such roughness, and two because Key was not typically the touchy feely person once woken from a nap.

“Stop moving, you were comfortable before.” Key mumbled against Jonghyun’s chest, the puppy’s heart beating a mile a minute.

Minho ruffled his head with a towel as he walked out the bathroom and into the kitchen.

“Hey, get a room you two.” Minho complained teasingly.

“Why don’t you get out of it?” Key replied loudly.

“Someone’s feisty tonight. What’s to eat?” Minho chuckled as he turned to Onew.

“I just put in pizza. Key’s lazy.” Onew stated. Turning his head to the bedroom, he could see the blonde younger staring at the ceiling on his bed, legs gently swinging back and forth off the side.

Minho followed the elder’s line of sight and also saw the teen.

“Is he okay?” Minho asked questioningly.

Onew shrugged and motioned his head toward the bedroom before setting the timer on the oven. Smiling warmly, Onew heard Minho’s footsteps make their way toward the bedroom before hearing the click of the door.

‘It’s fun playing cupid,” Onew chuckled to himself. Looking at his watch, Onew thought a bit and sat down nodding his head.

‘I give them until tomorrow morning.’