"...And I'm risking that."

Look at Me

 

Stumbling in the bathroom, the trembling boy made his way to the handicapped stall, not even bothering to lock it behind him. His back slid down the tiled wall and he pulled his knees into his chest. Tears fell like rain and his fingers quivered as the idol tried to calm himself down.

But nothing worked.

His panic attack wouldn’t cease. His limbs were covered in goose bumps and crying silently, his heart threatened to beat out his chest.

It felt like hours.

Days.

How long has he been here? Why was he here?

Where was he?

Suddenly, the loud squeaking of a door echoed throughout the room.

“Key?” Jonghyun ventured into the room and saw a glimpse of shoes in the last stall. He quickly walked over and opened the door, revealing Kibum’s hiding place.

Jonghyun’s heart almost broke at the sight.

Crouched in the corner on the floor, sat his best friend. Trembling and pale, silent tears ran endlessly down his cheeks. His eyes stared straight ahead, unseeing at the wall.

“Oh my God, Kibum..” Jonghyun knelt down in the stall next to him and wiped away his tears. The boy trembled, not even acknowledging the dino’s presence.

“Key… Kibum. Answer me, please.” The idol’s eyes pleaded for a response, a nod, anything. No reaction. This scared Jonghyun to no end, for it was an exact result of that night in the dorm. The same response given when Key hit his head.

“Key… I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” Jonghyun tenderly pulled Key into a tight hug, rubbing his back.

Still trembling, the diva clung to his sweatshirt and Jonghyun pulled him in tighter.

“I’m sorry, Kibum. Please forgive me; I shouldn’t have taken you up there. I should have known better…” Jonghyun let Key’s forehead rest on his chest and whispered quietly in his ear. He slowly rubbed circles on his back and the trembling gradually ceased along with the tears.

Taking a deep breath, Key clung tighter to the dino’s sweatshirt and burrowed his head deeper into the fabric.

“…Thank you…for coming back.” The idol sniffled.

“Do you forgive me?” Jonghyun lifted his arm and peeked at Key’s wet face.

Wiping his eyes with his jacket sleeve, Key laughed softly. “Your I.O.U. list just seems to get bigger every day, doesn’t it?”

“Yeah, I guess so,” Jonghyun smiled softly and helped him stand up. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah…” the diva looked down at his feet and wiped his eyes again. “Where’s Se Kyung?”

Jonghyun’s face darkened, “She went with some of her friends.” Key looked up at him, concerned for the tone of his voice didn’t sound like the same Jonghyun that was on the coaster.

“Is she joining us later then?” Key asked softly, immediately regretting the question when the dino’s eyebrows furrowed.

“I broke it off. We’re not dating anymore.” He stated stiffly.

“Oh..” Key’s eyes widened, then brimmed with tears.

‘Was it because of..me? Did I cause Jonghyun’s unhappiness?’

“Was it because of me?” Key’s voice cracked and let a tear break the barrier, running down his cheek. Jonghyun looked back at his best friend with concern.

‘Why is he upset? He shouldn’t be upset after what she said about him..”

“No, Kibummie, no. It was my choice.” Jonghyun caught the runaway tear with his thumb. “I don’t want to date someone that disrespects my friends in the way she did. I’ll tell you later about it… Do you want to go get some hot chocolate?” The puppy’s grin returned to his face and he grabbed his hand. “It can be a small addition toward my list.”

Jonghyun led Key out of the restroom by the hand and stopped at the nearest food booth. “Two hot chocolates, please.” Paying the cashier, Jonghyun passed the small foam cup to the diva.

Key stared at it a moment then peeked the cover open. “Does it have marshmallows?” he smirked.

Jonghyun laughed, “Of course. Now let’s go look around a bit.”

Sipping the steaming drinks, the idols walked around, lights, laughter, and people everywhere.

Jonghyun watched Key as he indulged in the sweet drink. “Was she right..? Does Key.. like me?’ The dino thought to himself, getting a slight headache with the topic. Key noticed Jonghyun’s stare out of the corner of his eye and smirked.

“Is there something on my face, Jjong?”

Blushing, Jonghyun turned his head back to his drink. “N-no. Just thinking.”

Finishing the rest of the hot chocolate, Key smiled and threw his cup in a trash bin. “What about?”

Jonghyun threw his cup away as well and stuck his hands in his pockets. “Things.”

Key scoffed and was about to retort back but a booth behind the dino caught his eye.

“Jonghyun! I want to play this!” Grabbing his sleeve, the diva pulled Jonghyun over to the booth. Shining with bright bulbs and the back covered in fluffy prizes, a slender young man in a top hat welcomed the idols. A board behind him was covered in about two dozen tiny balloons.

“Welcome! Would you like to take a shot at winning a prize?”

Key nodded excitedly, glancing at a certain green object in the corner. “How to we play?”

“See the board with the balloons? If you hit three of the same color, then you can pick any prize you like. You can get four darts for two dollars. You in?” The young man took off his hat and held it out to the two.

Jonghyun took out two bills and dropped them in the hat as Key smiled broadly.

Handing Key four darts, the man flipped his hat back on his head and stepped to the side. “Begin when you’re ready then.”

Key took the first dart and aimed the first dart at a pink balloon at the top of the board. *Pop!*

“Nice shot! Now you have to hit two more pink balloons to win. Remember, they must be pink.”

Jonghyun watched as Key lined his hand up with another balloon but laughed when it just missed the booth guy.

“Watch it, Key!” the dino laughed. Key stuck his tongue out at Jonghyun and apologized to the man before popping another pink balloon. With his last dart, he successfully burst the final pink one and happily pointed out his prize.

The man smiled and reached for a prize in the corner and handed it over to Key. The diva thanked him and joined Jonghyun.

“Close your eyes.” Key smirked and hid his prize behind his back. Jonghyun shook his head his protest and laughed.

“I can’t take your prize, Key. You keep it.”

“Just shut up and close your eyes, you dino!” Key complained teasingly. Sighing, Jonghyun did as he was told and soon he felt something soft slip over his head and cover his face. ‘A mask?’

“Okay!” Key laughed as he took his phone out and took a picture. Turning it around, Jonghyun realized the diva had slipped a dinosaur hat on him!

“Really?” Jonghyun grinned and took it off to look at it.

“It looks just like you!” Key squealed happily. Sticking it back on his head, Jonghyun seized Key’s hand and led him to another booth.

This booth was run by a small elderly lady. Her tent was bright and colorful just as the last one except it had large pins stacked up into a pyramid behind her.

Jonghyun approached her and gave her a polite smile. “How much is it to play, ajumma?”

The older woman smiled brightly and pointed to the pins. “I can give you two throws for a dollar.”

“I’d like to try.” The puppy smiled and handed her a dollar for the plastic balls. The lady stood to the side as Jonghyun aimed and threw the first one. Crashing to the ground, no pins were left standing and Key clapped with the booth lady.

“Now what would you like, dear? You can pick anything off of the back table.”

“I’d like that one, please. Don’t peek, Key.” Jonghyun warned playfully. The lady handed over a stuffed plush and the dino thanked her before leading Key away from the tent.

“Can I look?” Key grinned. ‘What did he pick?’ Taking Key’s hands, Jonghyun placed the soft toy in them. Opening his eyes, Key had a large, soft, gray Pusheen kitty in his arms.

“Awhhhh!! It’s so cute!” Key squeezed it and Jonghyun blushed at his aegyo reaction to the plushie cat.

The two idols walked around the fair grounds –playing games, eating cotton candy, and even a couple rides. (That didn’t leave the ground, of course.)

Key had never had a better time, and with Jonghyun nonetheless. He felt like a high school girl on a fantasy date that only happened in those cliché dramas. The dino also seemed quite happy but looked like he had something on his mind.

“I’m going to go get a drink quick,” Jonghyun smiled, “I’ll be right back.” Key waved as the puppy-dino scampered off and thought back to what Onew said back at the dorm.

‘Should I tell him..? Maybe he does like me..maybe. But there’s a chance Jjong wouldn’t.. I don’t want to lose him.’ He thought grimly, ‘That would be worse than where I am now.. I don’t know what I should do..’ Key wrapped his jacket around himself tighter, getting a slight chill. He looked up at the brightly colored Ferris wheel and shivered.

“Hey! Sorry it took so long, what do you want to do next?” Jonghyun ran up and leaned on his knees to catch his breath.

“That’s okay..” he mumbled and stared in wonder at the Ferris wheel before him. He had a ridiculous and stupid urge. An urge to run forward and get on that death trap. He did…yet he didn’t. Key inwardly battled himself and bit his lip. ‘There’s no line anymore..’

“Are…you okay, Key?” Jonghyun looked at the younger in confusion. ‘What was he doing?’

Suddenly, Key didn’t want to think about it anymore. This was crazy and he had no reason for thinking in the way that he did but Key threw away any sense he had. He was definitely going to regret this. Grabbing Jonghyun’s hand, the diva bolted forward and handed two tickets to the employee.

“K-key!” Jonghyun sputtered loudly. ‘What was he doing?!’

Key quickly sat down and pulled the dino with him, locking his seatbelt and closing his eyes tightly. The employee made sure they were secure, and then sent the couple up to let on the next pair.

Jonghyun looked at Key in a panic. ‘Why would he want to do this? Why would he put himself through this again?”

“Key… Why are we on here?” Jonghyun peeked at the diva, waiting for a panic attack to start. But nothing happened. Key just kept his hands clenched on the bar and eyes shut tight. Then he took a deep breath, in and out.

“I wanted to get over my fear of heights. If I can do this, then…then my other fear should be easy to overcome,” He slowly explained with his eyes still closed. “I need to do it.”

Jonghyun sighed and pried the diva’s left hand from the bar, fitting his fingers between his.

“You know…” the idol’s voice sounded velvet and smooth, “You don’t have to do it alone.”

Key sharply took a breath and squeezed Jonghyun’s hand –the idols’ car had now shakily stopped at the top, overlooking the entire park.

Key slowly opened his eyes and looked out across the park. He desperately wanted to shut them and he could feel his limbs starting to tremble. But he kept them open. The trembling didn’t cease but this was a start. Jonghyun gazed at the diva proudly. ‘He’s getting there.’ He thought happily.

Key let out a loud sigh of happiness then bit his lip nervously.

‘..Should I tell him?’ he worried but then shook his fear away. ‘I can do this. No more scared Kibum.’

“Jonghyun?”

The idol turned at the sound of the younger’s voice and smiled encouragingly at him.

“Yeah, Key?”

Key took another deep breath and looked Jonghyun straight in the eye. Those big, beautiful brown eyes…

 

“I love you, Jonghyun. I’ve always had and always will.”

 

The idol’s eyes grew wide with shock and Key looked back out across the fair grounds. He smiled sadly, hands still trembling. If it was from the height or the confession, Key couldn’t tell. One small tear escaped his feline eyes and ran down his cheek, glistening from the lights of the Ferris wheel.

“I’m sorry... I can’t change my feelings.” Key turned to face the silent idol and gave another smile as the lone tear dripped.

“…But I don’t want to lose you. And I’m risking that.”