The Parents

The Other Side

Dinner was a harmonious affair with good food, good company and good relations. The five of us laughed and discussed over some wine and soft drinks, along with my mom’s fine steaks. It’s Ji Yong’s favourite food. I knew my dad took a liking to him when he invited Ji Yong to the living room for a game of chess and a second round of soju after dinner whilst like domesticated women, mom and I cleared the table. She liked to do the dishes with the music on, so we moved to the smooth sound of Dave Koz lingering in the air.

“I know my daughter’s all grown up when she brings a man home to meet her parents,” she said as she placed the dirty plates in the sink. I gave her a little embarrassed smile and suddenly I’m all shy like an eight-year-old child that had just been complimented.

“This was your idea mom.”

“But you still followed through. I’m glad you did Erika, Ji Yong seems like a really good man and trust me it’s not easy for any parent to say that so blatantly about their daughter's boyfriend.”

“Is this your maternal instincts talking?”

“Maybe. He told me something that day he was helping me when you were sick.” I turned off the tap and put down the sponge for a moment, eager to listen. I’d never heard this story before.

“What exactly happened while I was passed out?”

“We talked a lot about you mainly, and then he started talking to me seriously about his life and his work. He told me everything.”

“Everything?” Crap.

“Everything. About being a musician, a celebrity and the media. Not that it wasn’t obvious, but that man told me he lived a different life from other people and then he asked me if I was okay letting my daughter be with someone like that.”

“What did you say, mom?”

“I said that it wasn’t up to me to decide. I trust you Erika. And I honestly think a man that can own up to their mistakes is never a bad thing.” I totally felt like smothering her with some daughterly love, had it not been for my soapy hands.

“Thank you. I’m sorry I’ve kept so many things away from you. It’s just, I’ve been so confused lately that I just really didn’t want to say anything until I had things sorted out.”

“All relationships have their own turmoils. I’m sure whatever it is, you can deal with it Erika.”

“I know.” She tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear then continued to clean up the kitchen area while humming. Two full racks of clean dishes and a chess game later, the four of us re-grouped in front of the television with a broadcast of national Korean news on silent in the background. Ji Yong was thoroughly smashed by my dad in their game, that apparently even Peter’s intervention somewhere in the middle couldn’t save him.  I lovingly pat him on the shoulder for comfort as I find my place on the couch right beside him.

“I know you lost to him on purpose, Ji Yong,” I said teasingly.

“Well, obviously,” he agreed, tone full of sarcasm. I laughed, knowing that Ji Yong hadn’t touched a chess piece in ages, let alone understood how to play the game. Just yesterday, I caught him reading a ‘How To Play’ page online once he knew about my father’s usual Friday night customs. You can’t really blame a man for trying though. My mom set down a platter of freshly cut fruit on the table which my dad only eyed with something like disgust.

“You drink soju, you also eat fruit. Do you really want to act like this in front of kids, honey?” She didn’t even need to look at my dad’s face when she said that, my mom knew her husband like the back of her hand. Reluctantly, he accepts the fork she hands him and begins chewing on a slice of apple. Could what Ji Yong and I have resemble something like that in five, no, ten years’ time? I don’t even know why I looked so far into the future when our current standing isn’t what anyone would really call promising.

“So is everything set for Oxford Erika?” my dad asked.

“Pretty much, everything else I’ll deal with afterwards.”

“After?”

“I asked Erika to come with me to Seoul for the summer. I actually also came today to ask for your permission,” Ji Yong answered for me. My parent’s looked at each other momentarily before my mom answered with her usual smile.

“Sure.” And that was that. The night continued on merrily at my expense when the childhood stories popped out, photos were displayed and home videos screened. Peter couldn’t resist the hysterics going on in the living room and went downstairs to join us, poking fun at me with the rest of crowd. That was until his little cameo appeared. It was well past midnight before Ji Yong and I left with some side dishes in our hands.

“I’ll take care of her and bring her back safely,” Ji Yong said before we left, and I saw my dad pat him on his shoulder. I kissed them both goodnight and we were gone.

“That was surprisingly easy,” I commented on the drive home. I was driving his Bentley because of his slightly inebriated state.

“It’s because I’m such a well-cut gentleman, Ri Ah,” he mumbled.

“You weren’t even nervous around my dad as well.”

“That’s me…” His voice trailed off as he quickly fell asleep and soon nothing but the sound of the smooth engine accompanied me on this late drive. Soon enough, I pulled into his basement and shut off the engine. I was reluctant to wake him up; he must’ve been so stressed today.

“Thank you for everything,” I whispered and kissed his cheek. I really was. So I opened the sun roof, put both our seats down, and we both lay there in his car. It wasn’t long before I fell asleep with him. 

 

AN: Enjoy everyone! Thanks again!