Were we..?

I Fell In Love With My Bestfriend!
I could feel the heat of sun on my cheek. I open my eyes forcefully and yawned slightly. I saw tao and the doctor speaking near the door. Despite the silence, i still couldn't hear their conversation. I tried to sit up but my body was too weak for it. My little movements caused the bed to make squeaking noises, and i flinched, scaring myself in the proccess.

The two head turned. The doctor smiled and brightly and asked, "Good morning! How are you feeling?" He then slowly walked over and did some checks. I smiled brightly and nodded. Then my eyes caught tao's and he winked.

HE WINKED!

A small chuckle escaped my lips and i quickly look away. "Um..... i f-feel f-ffine." I feel a pair of eyes staring intensely at me but i casually brush it away as i focused on the the doctor.

"You have improved tremendously. At this rate, you'll be able to go home in no time!" He announced. My eyes widened and i smiled widely.

After thanking the doctor, he soon left and i was alone again with tao.

I pretended to play around with my pjs. From the corner of my eyes, i can see him slowly walking towards me. Everything felt like just the first time i saw him. I feel.. shy. Why do i even feel shy?

"Good morning," His husky voice filled the entire room.

I looked up and raised an eyebrow. "Morning?" I was surprised that it came out as a question.

He tugged on his leather jacket and pulled the empty chair out to sit. His hands then found his way in his pocket. "Here, it's yours." He handed a cellphone to me.

I fumbled with the phone. It had a password. . I bit my lower lip as i pressed different numbers in attempt to unlock it.

Wrong password. Please try again.

"What's wrong?" I sighed and handed the phone back to him. "I couldn't remember the password," I frowned.

Tao folded his arms and tried to think. "Maybe," he suggested, "it's the digits to your birthday?"

I gasped, "Genius!" I playfully snatched the cellphone from him. Then something hit me. "Oh wait." I stopped and stared blankly forward.

"What?" Tao questioned.

"But i don't remember my birthday," I pouted and looked down.

Tao smiled bashfully and ruffled my hair slowly, "but i do, silly."

"Oh," was all i could say as i accidentally look into his eyes for the first time. Those eyes..... it's like i've stared into them before. It seems oddfully familiar. I wanted to look away, but something inside me just won't allow me to. It's like as if i don't have the control over my body anymore.

"28 september," His lips moved and i was suddenly brought back to reality. "Your birthday is on the 28th of september,"

"Of course," i smiled, coming across as completely normal. But inside, million of things raced through my mind. I know... if i just had stared a little bit longer, something would come to me. I mentally groan in fustration. Then suddenly some numbers flashed in my head. I closed my eyes and my face crunched up.

"You alright?" Tao stood up and came closer. In fact, too close for comfort.

"0205," I finally said.

"Im sorry?" Tao asked, completely lost. I ignored him and quickly punched in the four digits. A loud click echoed the whole room.

"YEAH!" I cheered loudly. I finally unlocked the phone. A bewildred tao stood beside you and peered at the phone.

"What's 0205?" I asked. Still pretty much unsure.

"It's........ it's my birthday."


▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒


Tao stared at me blankly, confusion at his own words apparent in his eyes. I felt as if my mind was suddenly whirling around out of control. I began to really wonder what tao is really to me before the accident. Is he more than what meets the eye?

"Tao, were we-"

You were rudely interrupted by kevin who came strutting in with a huge white teddy bear. He came over and handed you the toy. You were almost buried under it.

"What is this?" You giggled. "It's taking the whole bed!" You joked. Kevin laughed and handed some food to tao.

"Look at you! You look so much better now. Did they tell you when you you can go home?" Kevin asked.

"Soon, i guess? By the way, thank you for this. It's lovely," You smiled sincerely.

"Im glad... anyway, i'll be out of town for a couple of days. It's a very important meeting. I know i won't be worried since tao is here. So you.." he leaned over and squeezed my nose gently, "better take good care of yourself."

I nodded, "Don't worry about me. Go ahead."


▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒


That night, kevin bid us farewell before he left. We even had to pinky promise him that we'll always be on our phone whenever he calls. Of course, it's still abit awkward for me. But i guess that's what we were like before. My thoughts were slowly interrupted by tao who's laying out the blanket for me.

I sneakily stole glances at him. I could tell that his eyes were red from the lack of sleep.

"You should go home today. Im fine staying alone here," I persuaded him.

"I never leave you alone. And i don't plan to," He said softly.

I nearly almost melted at his words. "Can i ask you something?

"Hmm?"

"Were we really just friends?"


▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒


Tao's POV:

"Can i ask you something?"

I swore i felt my heart skip a beat. I could see her expression very clearly even under the dim light. She wants the truth.

"Hmm?"

I know what you're gonna say. Please don't say it.

"Were we really just friends?"

The sadness that filled me was overwhelming. No words could express my agony at this point. What's the point of telling her? We're long over. But then again..... what's the point of lying?



"No. We.... we're very good friends."