Chapter 2

YeTeuk - It had to be you

“What do you want?”

 

I blinked. That guy was closer, and he surely had noticed how I was staring at him. I coughed.

 

“Oh, erm… sorry. I’m new here.”

 

But this doesn’t explain anything! I slapped myself mentally. Why was I suddenly so defenseless? Why was I unable to find something smart to say?

 

“No! That’s…”

 

He smiled, amused by my poor attempts to explain myself, and I almost fainted. He was so handsome!

 

“I’m sorry, you… you’re so handsome, it makes my mind stop working…”

 

STUPID IDIOT.

 

But he laughed softly, and I blushed.

 

“I’m sorry”, I repeated. “I just look stupid, don’t I?”

 

“No! No, you don’t.”

 

His voice was beautiful. I didn’t notice the first time he had talked, but this time, I noticed the soft, low tone of his voice. I could’ve listened to this voice for hours.

 

“You don’t”, he continued, “it’s just that I’m not used to people just saying that to me. Especially men.”

 

“Oh.”

 

Yeah, oh. I had forgotten humans had both males and females, and most of the time they would like the opposite . With angels, it was different. Angels were only males, so all angels were attracted to males, of course.

 

“I’m… I’m sorry if I…” I tried to explain.

 

“Oh, but it’s okay. I’m saying this because usually women tell me that, but I don’t like women, so I’m just very happy right now that a guy thinks I’m attractive.”

 

I blushed some more. He was so cute! And his smile was just a bit shy, like… like… I don’t know! His smile was just adorable. He looked like a kitten, and I just wanted to touch his hair. It seemed so fluffy!

 

“That’s… that’s great.”

 

C’mon, just say something useful already!

 

“I’m… I’m Jungsu. Or Leeteuk, my friends call me that.”

 

My friends? WHICH friends? My ex used to call me that…

 

“I’m Jongwoon. But you can call me Yesung.”

 

Great. A powerless angel and a poor little human being both having nicknames that didn’t even sound a bit like their real names.

 

“So… you said you were new here?” he said to fill the embarrassing silence.

 

“Oh… yeah.”

 

“Maybe I could show you around? My parents decided to move here when I was a kid, so I’m used to Montreal.”

 

“Really? That’s cool! You don’t mind, do you?”

 

“It’s okay, I was just doing nothing for the entire day anyways. Here, I’ll show you Old Montreal first!”

 

He took my hand with his tiny fingers and made me follow him around the Old Port in Old Montreal. I had been here once, but the place sure had changed in one hundred years. If the buildings I remembered had not been replaced, they were either decaying or completely changed and restored.

 

“This is ‘Place Jacques-Cartier’. As you can see, there are artists here, doing their stuff, and people watch them. A friend of mine plays the violin here sometimes, another one likes to dance, etc. Usually, there are other kinds of shows like playing with fire or stuff like that are more popular, but singing, dancing or playing the violin can be good too.”

 

“Do you do that sometimes?” I asked, knowing he had a beautiful voice.

 

“Yes, I really like to sing with two of my friends. But I never do it alone.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I’m more comfortable having K and R with me.”

 

He didn’t say more and I didn’t insist. If he didn’t want to say too much about him, it was okay. I had to gain his trust first, and then I could ask him to follow me to Heaven. I didn’t have to know a lot of things about him. I just had to know what he would leave here by following me, so I could know what kind of power I would have for the next hundred years.

 

“Mr. Kim! Finally, I found you!”

 

We stopped and turned. A girl was running in our direction. Yesung frowned.

 

“Noo ‘Na? What are you doing here?”

 

She waited until she could breathe correctly before talking.

 

“Mr. Kim, I’m sorry for interrupting your day off, but I just received news about your next show.”

 

I didn’t pay attention to the rest and waited until the girl left before asking Yesung.

 

“So… what was that about? Your next show? Are you some kind of super popular singer?”

 

“Exactly.”

 

So he did have a very fulfilled life. I smiled in in my mind. I was always right.

 

“And… what about it?”

 

“They cancelled tomorrow’s show. I don’t know why, but they cancelled. So I basically have two days off now.”

 

He smiled and looked at me.

 

“Hey, do you have anywhere to stay?”

 

“Hem… not really.”

 

“Maybe you could live with me then? It’s just a simple apartment with two bedrooms because I didn’t want to live in some kind of huge thing, and the other room is free, so…”

 

“I can’t just…”

 

“Of course you can! Please?”

 

I considered the offer. I had planned to simply live for a while in the hotel where angels always lived when they were convincing a human being - it was activated in every city and only angels could see it, unless they would allow a human being to see it -, but his offer was more interesting because it meant I would spend more time with him, knowing about his life and gaining his trust. I finally nodded.

 

“Okay, but only if you’ll let me do something for you in exchange.”

 

“Then, maybe you could clean around a bit? I’m not exactly someone who likes to clean the apartment…”

 

I nodded again, and he smiled before taking my hand again to make me follow him around Old Montreal, happy that I had accepted.

 

“Then, tomorrow I can show you around Montreal again!” he said, and I smiled while nodding again. I knew I didn’t accept only for gaining his trust and bringing him to Heaven. I knew something else had made me accept his offer. I just didn’t want to admit it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, for those of you who wonder who is "Noo 'Na"... My unnie is Elena. I call her "Unnie 'Na". So yep. Boring pun. And boring chapter, I'm tired and my English doesn't seem like it wants to let me write...