Chapter 1

YeTeuk - It had to be you

Why… why? Why did it have to be you? Of any other person on Earth… of any other person on Earth I could’ve fallen for… it… it had to be you… why? Why did it have to be you?!

 

*************************************

 

It was the fifth time in my long life as an angel that I had to go to where human beings lived and choose one of these creatures. Every hundred years, we angels had to do this to keep our powers. Why? I never really wondered why. I was an angel, just an angel, and I never questioned my Lord’s rules. What I knew is that we had to choose one human and convince him or her to follow us to Heaven, leaving everything they knew about. And there were rules, of course. The person couldn’t be someone too believing in our Lord, God - it would be too easy. The person also couldn’t be someone wanting to commit suicide - that was too easy too. Basically, we had to find someone with a fulfilled life and convince that person to leave everything behind and follow us. The more the life was fulfilled when the person accepted, the more we would be powerful for the next hundred years. And, of course, while we were doing this, we couldn’t use most of our powers at all. We could only use our body’s superior physical strength and rapidity, and we could use our wings only once after we had first landed, and for two hours before they would disappear.

 

I started this time’s research by flying down to the humans’ world, and I chose a country and a city. This time, I chose Montreal, in Canada. I had chosen this city the last time too, and I knew this place held so many cultures that I wouldn’t have to bother learning too many things about the people living there.

 

The place sure had changed in one hundred years, I thought, as I landed in a deserted street. The houses weren’t the same anymore, the streets looked way different, the buildings were higher and made of glass. The people were not the same, but that was normal. Humans aged.

 

I started searching. I was carefully looking at everyone I met, trying to guess who had a fulfilled life and who didn’t. That was all I needed to know. Other than that, once they would be in Heaven, they simply would be dead in the eyes of the people on Earth, and they would be somewhere unreachable for us angels, so we didn’t have to care about them anyways. We used them only to keep our powers, because as long as we didn’t convince someone to follow us, we would be stuck with the human beings.

 

I had to choose carefully. Once I decided to choose one human, there was no turning back. I had to convince that human being, and I couldn’t change in the middle of the process.

 

I spotted him in Old Montreal one second before he spotted me, and chose him one second before he looked at me.

 

He had brown, fluffy hair that made him look like a cat. His eyes were dark, like any other Asian’s. His smile was beautiful, and his tiny hands were adorable.

 

I froze there, unable to continue walking.

 

Was it what our Lord had created and named ‘love’?