Day 2 Continuation: Tense Family Affairs

Life with Me and My 6 "Brothers"

 

A/N: Hi!! Sorry this is so late. School has been slamming me lately. I'm sure many of you can relate... Again, sorry, this is a short chapter. It's pretty pathetic, so bear with it for now, and then we can get back to Japan... Here's chapter 28! :

 

“What’re you doing here? Why are you here?” Siwon instinctively stepped forward, blocking Zhou Mi behind his back. It didn’t do much to conceal the tall man behind him.

“I,” Siwon’s mother paused, “I came to pick you up. I had a shortened day from work.” Her face was expressionless,  but on the inside, there was something tearing apart at her core. A wave of unbearable sadness that she couldn’t explain was taking over every thought.

“I have play practice after school.” It sort of irked him to think that his parents didn’t even have the smallest amount of brain capacity left to remember that he was in the play, “Speaking of that, I need to get to that now. We’ll be leaving first,” Siwon knew it was inappropriate to leave his mother like that, and speaking to her in such a tone, but he couldn’t care less. All that mattered to him was getting Zhou Mi far away from her.

“Wait,” Siwon’s mother held up a hand when Siwon had taken the first steps to leave the room. He swallowed, but stopped and loosened his hold on Zhou Mi’s wrist, which he had been unknowingly grabbing.

“I have to say something,” Mrs. Choi announced, looking for the first time, straight into the eyes of her son’s lover. She could see why Siwon was so taken with him. He was handsome for sure.

“Ok,” Siwon nodded. Zhou Mi slid next to Siwon to face his mother. He wasn’t going to be in the back and act as a bystander.

“I did a lot of thinking last night,” Mrs. Choi began, “When I knew that you didn’t come home, it was clear that he was very important to you.” Mrs. Choi referenced to Zhou Mi, “At first I tried to pass it off as a teenage fling that you would eventually get over, but then I saw…this.”

Her mind was bombarded with the images of two boys, no, men holding one another in a sad and romantic position. They had to resort to hiding their love so hard, and it had made her want to curse out the people that made it so. But then, she realized that she and her husband were the reasons why.

“I came to the school today to try to make amends because I know that how I acted was highly inappropriate and un-motherly like. Even Minho had said that the only thing your father and I were doing was tearing the family apart.” Mrs. Choi cast her gaze downwards in shame.

“It’s surreal to believe that true love can develop from what I thought were two stupid teenagers,” Mrs. Choi laughed without humor, “but that’s only because I never experienced it. I love your father, Siwon, but I can feel that what I saw a couple minutes ago was a love even more powerful than what they describe in books. Even if you two haven’t discovered it yet, I know it’s there. I want you both to feel that you don’t have to hide it. There shouldn’t be a problem with two people loving one another, regardless of gender.”

Silence. There was nothing but silence after Mrs. Choi’s lengthy confession. The depth and insight to how she came to understanding her son’s relationship was just so…..shocking. Both Siwon and Zhou Mi couldn’t find words to describe how they felt in reaction to the older woman’s words. A surge of compassion swelled up inside of Zhou Mi, and he went and hugged Mrs. Choi before the nerves and hesitation kicked in.

Mrs. Choi blinked, wide eyed in surprise. She wasn’t expecting a word of gratitude from either of the boys. Receiving a hug was one of the last thoughts on her mind. Her eyes watered as Zhou Mi tightened his hold. Zhou Mi was even biting back tears, and scrunching his eyes tight to cease the flow.

“Thank you,” Zhou Mi was finally able to respond without sounding like a strangled cat, caught up in his emotions, “Thank you for understanding.”

“You’re welcome, dear,” Mrs. Choi sniffed and gulped down a sob. She reached a hand up to pat the back of his head, and that’s when the both of them lost it. Their relief was the final blow to releasing all the pent up sadness, anger, and pain that was inflicted on the Choi household and Zhou Mi.

Siwon as well, was overcome with joy. His tears ran freely down his face in torrents, and a hand cupped his mouth to drown out the sounds of his sobbing. He joined in on the hug, encasing two of his most important people in his life in his arms.

They had finally done it. No longer were Siwon and Zhou Mi bound to another lie. There would still be restrictions on how open their relationship could be to the public, but that was insignificant at the moment. The two of them could be open about their relationship, and honest with the Choi’s.  

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Surprisingly, the welcome into the Choi’s lives had been very quick and warm. Zhou Mi was invited to have dinner with the family that night, and also share Siwon’s agent for his modeling activities until he was able to find one (or need one) for himself. After Siwon had finished his play practice, the two of them set off on foot for his house.

“So….how was practice?” Zhou Mi broke the silence between the two.

“Good. Ryeowook was complaining about needing another tree for the set. I suggested using you,” Siwon smiled cheekily.

“What am I going to do? Stand there with arms out and green pieces of paper attached to me?” Zhou Mi laughed.

“Exactly. For over an hour.”

“Uh, no way.”

Their conversation was almost as if the reconciliation hadn’t happened. It was very bland and normal, but maybe it was to cover up Zhou Mi’s intense nervousness about going to dinner. There was still Mr. Choi to please, and Minho maybe, if he wasn’t entirely on board as well.

The two of them said little, besides meaningless comments of their everyday lives at school and Siwon’s modeling activities. As they entered Siwon’s suburban complex, Siwon took hold of Zhou Mi’s hand, rubbing soothing circles on the top of Zhou Mi’s hand with his thumb. He didn’t need to be a telepathic to know that Zhou Mi was stressed.

Neither uttered a word from the trip up to Siwon’s residence. When reaching the door and seeing the gold plaque, Zhou Mi’s breathing spiked. Right behind that door was hopefully future family that he was meeting formally for the first time. What if he screwed it up? What if Mrs. Choi took back her promise? What if-

Zhou Mi couldn’t think of any more worrisome thoughts because of Siwon, who was presently cradling his face within his hands. Siwon’s black eyes searched Zhou Mi’s in anxiousness, possibly trying to decode what was going through his mind.

“Mimi, don’t worry,” Siwon advised, “Everything will be fine. Just be yourself.”

“Ok,” Zhou Mi couldn’t help his glistening eyes from premature tears.

“I love you,” Siwon said it more as a reminder, and pecked his lips once. Zhou Mi could have stayed on that spot for ages, but Siwon was already releasing him and opening the door.

“We’re back!” Siwon announced. Zhou Mi’s tongue was heavy. He couldn’t seem to smile or show an expression excluding one that resembled an emotionless, wooden block. As much as he wanted to grin and bear it, he couldn’t.

The two removed their shoes and jackets as well as set down their things. Siwon guided them to the dining room, an ushering hand at the small of Zhou Mi’s back. Usually, all the touching and skin ship Siwon had been giving him would be abnormal. Right now, the skin ship was the only thing there reminding Zhou Mi why he was here, and why it wouldn’t be wise to run away from it all. 

Mrs. Choi was unfortunately on a call, and could only wave a ‘hello’ before retreating to the back hallway to listen in. Mr. Choi, who was sitting at the dining room table, rose upon seeing Siwon and Zhou Mi. He was a tall and muscular man, just like Siwon, which made it that more intimidating to Zhou Mi. Without the intimidation factor, he could pin point some of Siwon’s features on Mr. Choi’s face that he admired. They shared the same sharp chin and pointed nose.

“You must be Zhou Mi,” Mr. Choi’s deep voice said without any hatred or annoyance.

“I am. It’s nice to meet you,” Zhou Mi bowed, but was caught awkwardly in a bowing handshake because Mr. Choi had offered his hand out at the last moment. He straightened up, but their conversation that would have surely followed could not happen because of Minho, who bounded through the kitchen all of a sudden.

“Hyungs, come play videogames with me! My new game just came in!” Minho grabbed Siwon’s and Zhou Mi’s hands, and brought them to the living room. He sat them down on the couch and bent down to turn on the XBOX.

“What game is it?” Siwon asked.

“Fifa! You get to choose which teams you want to be and control the players.” Minho tossed them each a controller and plopped down on the carpeted floor in front of the coffee table to be closer to the screen.

“Oh, I know Fifa! Kangin plays it all the time.” Zhou Mi commented.

The three of them had little to no experience of playing Fifa, but in no time they were in the full swing of it. They were screaming and jumping up and down in success or harshly punching the buttons in frustration. When their players wouldn’t do what they were pressing on the controllers, it was even more comical to see them trying to command the players to move when they were just pixels.

“YES! Goal 3!” Siwon raised his arms in the air in excitement. Zhou Mi, who was versing Siwon this round, pouted at his poor goalkeeping skills. Usually, if it was the just the two of them, and maybe around their friends, would Zhou Mi be cussing out everything under his breath. But with Minho and Siwon’s parents here, it would be appropriate…at all.

 Time ran out and the screen displayed the final results, “Ha ha! I won~!” Siwon bobbed his head in Zhou Mi’s direction.

“Winning isn’t everything!” Zhou Mi defended and passed the controller to Minho. He was in a sour mood.

“Na na na na na~!” Siwon stuck his tongue out. Zhou Mi had had it then. He picked up the throw pillow behind his back and shoved it into Siwon’s face which was close to his in the heat of winning. Siwon flailed onto his back like a turtle unable to roll over. Minho began laughing and pointing hysterically at his helpless older brother.

From the kitchen, Mrs. and Mr. Choi were observing the three kids. Mr. Choi put an arm over Mrs. Choi’s shoulders and drew her close to his side. She was a bit surprised, but did not show it. Mr. Choi was never an affectionate man, and neither she an affectionate woman. The change must have been brought by Zhou Mi, who has been the only factor into their lives at the moment. The other day they were under tense circumstances, but the appearance of Zhou Mi had altered it.

“He’s good for Siwon.” Mr. Choi noted Zhou Mi. He cracked a light smile when Siwon rose like Frankenstein with his arms out in front, and flopped on top of Zhou Mi to fend off his attacks. Minho jumped up from his spot and placed an aerial attack on the two of them like a pro-wrestler.

“He is,” Mrs. Choi agreed, “You know, I’ve always wanted a third son.”

“Then we’re lucky to be blessed with Zhou Mi,” Mr. Choi said lightly and kissed the top of her head.

 With him there, there was warmth. That extra push of the definition of ‘family’ was now complete with Zhou Mi there. He had just been introduced, but already he was looking like a Choi. Yes, the four of them were lucky indeed. 

A/N: Ok! Whaddya think? I was surprised there wasn't much feedback from last chapter. But, eh, you guys are busy so... Anyways, I'm tired and ready for bed, so bye~! See you next week!