Reflecting on the Past

Life with Me and My 6 "Brothers"

A/N: Hey! Author-nim here! I had a good idea to add in a spice of drama so I made a really quick update. It's real short, only 3 pages, so I'm sorry it isn't as long as a usual update is. Here is chapter 16! Oh and btw, this isn't in any specific point of view, so you won't be reading from the mind of Ae-Young this chapter!

               

               A car drove by and sloshed water up onto the sidewalk. Civilians scooted hastily out of the way, huddled tightly under their umbrellas. Since the rain had subsided, many had decided to travel back on foot once again. There was a slight drizzle, but nothing major to hinder them to indoors. It may have been an ordinary, rainy day for many, but for one, today was a memory of a certain event.

                A chubby teenager stepped out from a warm cafe. He peered up at the sky from underneath the overhang, just to check if it was alright to begin walking. This was because he was without an umbrella. To make sure he wouldn’t catch a cold, he slipped out a beanie from his jacket pocket and eased it over his spikey hair. With a sharp pull of his jacket collar so that it would cover his neck, he set out on his journey home.

                Even though this boy was usually a social person that rarely liked to be alone, today was one of the rare occasions that he needed to be. Sharing his problems with others would be bothersome, and he didn’t like the pity. So every year, on this exact same day, he excused himself and spent the day wallowing in his own feelings. After today, he would convert back to his loud and rambunctious self.

                The date was November 5, and it was unusually cold that year. It hadn’t rained much through the end of the summer, so Seoul received weather symptoms that were not of the norm. Most of the days that passed were cold and overcast, not to mention the trees were losing their leaves sooner. In definition, it was a very gloomy fall for South Korea.

                “I’m leaving,” She announced to him.

                “What? Why?” Now he knew the real meaning behind the many packed bags at the door.

                “I’m running off with my boyfriend,” She answered simply.

                “W-why? Are you pregnant?” He gasped. He knew his sister wasn’t like other older girls. She was often caught in fights at school and often had long lectures with their parents over morals. Someone else would define her as a troublesome child.

                “No! Do I look like an idiot that would forget to use protection? His parents are trying to force him into the army straight out of high school, so he’s running away. I’m going with him.”

                “But he won’t treat you right!” He protested. The boy stood straight to his feet and stalked to the entry way of the apartment, “Noona, you have no idea what you’re doing!”

                “And you do?” She scoffed and wrapped her favorite scarf around her neck, “We’re in love. That’s all that matters.”

                “But can he support you? Are you sure he’ll stay with you?” The boy tried to convince his older sister to stay. But she wasn’t listening at all to her younger brother.

                “We plan to elope later in December.”

                “Do Mom and Dad know?-” He planned to continue but she cut him off.

                “Of course they don’t know! Do you think they would approve?  I have to do this.”

                “No! You don’t!” The boy ran over and grabbed at the suitcases, “There is another way!” He was easily pushed away by his older sister. He fell to the ground with tears in his eyes. It wasn’t because of the physical pain, but the emotional.

                “You have no idea what’s really going on! Stop trying to act like the older sibling!” She yelled at her dongsaeng.

                “Don’t go! He doesn’t really love you if he’s forcing you to go with him!” The younger brother grasped at a bag and held onto it viciously.

                “He does!” She screamed and shook at the bag her brother was holding. She about had it up to here when he wouldn’t let go. With no sympathy, she put a kick at his stomach which had him releasing the bag instantly. The boy let out a sob and clutched at his stomach.

                “And don’t you dare act like you actually care. You thought I was just a nuisance,” The older sibling muttered, picked up her bags, and left. The younger sibling wanted to desperately run after her, but he was frozen by her words.

                It was true. After he turned seven, he never really cared for his sister. To him, most of the time, she was an annoying older sibling that would pick on him for her entertainment. This made him mad, so he was generally not in a good mood around her. The tone of her voice would also constantly irritate him, so he would speak back to her with just as much bite. Until he grew older, he wouldn’t realize that these were just hormones that made him this way. But when he was 12 and was blamed for not being a good brother, he took everything she said on an extremely personal level.

                He was thinking to himself, why should he run after her? He was never appreciative when she was around, nor did he go out of his way to spend time with her- willingly. Just the thought of spending time with his older sister made him want to “kill himself”. Whenever he was alone, he would comment to himself how peaceful it was not to have her near. And when he was really angry, the boy also wished sometimes that she would disappear, but until it happened he didn’t know how wrong he was.

                It’s cruel, isn’t it? A person may not know how important another is until they are gone. Just like in dramas or tragic love stories, the person still standing would mope and sulk about what he/she could have done to be a better lover, father, mother, friend, etc. It’s those moments in time do people wish they could somehow go back, and relive memories to their fullest with the deceased counterpart. Unfortunately, life was unforgiving.

                “I’m sorry,” The boy whimpered, staring blankly at the wall across the hallway. He was curled up in a ball on the doormat, rocking back and forth, “Please…..come back.”

                A shrill honking of a car horn snapped the teenager back from the past. Without even realizing, he had walked practically the whole way home in a zombie-like trance as he reflected back on his early life. The car sped past him as fast as it could on the slippery asphalt. Within another minute, the boy was back home. He took his time passing through the gate and walking up the pathway to the front door. His head was bowed and his hand on the door handle. Even from outside, you could hear the lively talking of the rest of the inmates. Bringing back his boisterous self, Kangin opened the door.

                “Hey! Welcome home!” Yesung was passing the door when Kangin came inside.

                “Hey,” Kangin grinned, “Aish! It’s cold and wet! When are we gonna get some sun?”

                “Shouldn’t be until the weekend,” Sungmin sighed sadly from the couch. He hated cold weather, especially the rain since it ruined his hair. Just then, Ae-Young was also passing the door.

                “Young!” Kangin grabbed her in a head lock. With the other free arm, he reached and yanked off his beanie to shake it and his wet hair on her. She squealed at the frigid water and wiggled as she tried to escape. With a step backwards, she frowned at her house mate.

                “Don’t do that!” She whined.

                “Does it annoy you?” Kangin teased.

                “Very much, you stupid raccoon!” Ae-Young snapped.

                “How’s Donghae? I haven’t seen him outside of school since the Halloween party.” Kangin spoke while removing his jacket and shoes. He placed them in their correct spots.

                “He has a project for Chem. I saw the requirements, it looks really hard,” Ae-Young pouted. Kangin’s heart ached slightly. Seeing her upset made him upset as well.

                “I’m sure you’re boy will do great, and then you can have fun. But not too much fun, alright?” Kangin pointed with an eyebrow raised.

                “Yes Appa!” Ae-Young waved him off and retreated to the living room.

                Kangin smiled forlornly. It wasn’t that he liked Ae-Young on a romantic level, but he did love her. As a sister, that is. Meeting up with Ae-Young and having the chance to live with her gave him an epiphany. He had lost a sister five years ago, but with her, he could start afresh. It was like some gods were sending her his way, testing if he could make up for the lost time. So from the moment she moved in with him and Leeteuk, he swore that he would protect her as his own sister. Even if she didn’t need an older brother, Kangin was determined to make sure no one would hurt her. He wanted his family, biologically related and non-biologically related, to be happy.  

A/N: So? Whaddya think? I am personally proud of myself for pulling this off in two days, despite the fact that it was insanely short. I'm also real excited to see I got up to 50 subsirbers for this fic! ^.^ Thanks so much for the support! It's good to know that this thing is actually liked! Next chapter should be somewhat more interesting. I just have SO many thoughts bubbling around I don't know where to start! That, and the idea for the end of this fic is also there, but I'm like D: NO! I don't want to end it just yet!!!! Our summer is almost ending! T.T See you next week (or maybe the end of this week!)