Too Late

A Reason to Live

 

Seungho paced back and forth anxiously wondering if Joon was able to find you. After he made Mika leave, he has not stopped worrying about you since.

*What if she got hurt or lost? What if Lazer found her first?* Endless questions pondered through him. He was angry at himself for not being able to stop you in time. If something happened to you, your step uncle would be in rage.

He put one hand on his hip and grasped the top of his hair with the other in frustration. “Beep beep beep.” Seungho took out his phone and checked the text.

                    Beong Hee: We just saw Lazer near Cheonggyecheon River. TELL JOON.

Seungho frantically dialed Joon’s number, but it went straight to voice mail. *Joon, where are you? Min Hee’s in danger!* He tried several more times, but to no avail.

“Shiet.” He grabbed his helmet and ran to the parking garage. He jumped onto his motorcycle and sped off. Not knowing where you were or if Joon has already found you, he just wanted to make sure you were ok.

~~~~

You and Joon finally came to a halt. He parked his motorcycle next to the other cars and got off. You nervously scanned the unknown surroundings filled with large crowds of people. *What is this place?* Your jaws dropped in awe by the amazing scenery.

“Aren’t you going to get off?” Joon stared at you oddly as you sat there still astonished.

“Where are we?” You asked innocently lifting your leg over the motorcycle. Joon grabbed you under your arms and lift you effortlessly off the bike.

 “O-oh...I can get down by myself.” Your face flushed a light shade of pink, embarrassed.

“You’re taking too long.” Joon looked away also embarrassed, while he put his hands in the pockets of jacket. *And your feet can’t even reach the ground.* Shaking his head at his own little thoughts, he started to walk ahead.

“Wae? Why are we here?” You ran to catch up with him confused to why he brought you here. *This is….odd.*

“We’re in Myeong-dong. Didn’t you want to...er…..get out of the house?” Joon replied not looking at you. He kept his gaze forward, but he was searching for your reaction at the corner of his eyes.

A smile spread widely across your face as you nodded happily. “This is my first time here.” You grinned up at him. He looked down at you and his eyes softened. *Then use this short time to enjoy it.*

Joon didn’t know why he brought you here either, but something told him to cheer you up. After he heard about who killed your parents, he couldn’t take his mind off of it.

If Kim Ho was able to murder his own step brother and sister in law, he wouldn’t hesitate to do the same to you. *She was right. She knew all along. I was the only idiot too blind not to notice.*

A bad feeling was tugging on him. *Why are u making it so hard for me to do this correctly?* He hated this and it was making him sick. For all the murdering that he’s done in the past, he has never felt an ounce of guilt before. He killed them mindlessly without remorse. However, when he looked at you and your genuine smile, he couldn’t see himself doing that to you.

He walked slowly behind and watched you look around fascinated by everything you saw. The glow on your face shone brightly. It was the first time he saw you being yourself without the sadness in your eyes. Right now, you were like a small child who was seeing things for the first time.

“Joon-ah!” You called waving at him signaling him to come your way. “Look!” You bent down to pick up a cute little puppy. You snuggled it close to your chest and it waged its tail happily. *She called me Joon…* It sounded so different, yet so perfect, coming from you.

He smiled and walked towards you. Just seeing you this way was enough for him to forget about everything that was on his mind.

“Aww…you’re so cute!” You beamed at the puppy as you set it back down. “You’ve never seen a dog before?” He looked at you with a raised eyebrow.

“No I have!” You laughed and kept walking. Everything you saw was beautiful. *This might be my first and last time ever being here.* You wanted to remember this moment forever.

Without thinking, you grabbed onto the sleeve of his jacket and pulled him. “Let’s go see what’s going on over there.” You pointed and walked towards a screaming crowd dragging Joon along. He rolled his eyes, but willingly followed.

A group of talented teenagers were dancing. “Wow! So cool!” You clapped and cheered excitedly. Joon observed you and felt lament. *I shouldn’t have brought her here. I’m only making it harder for her.*

“Lets go.” He took hold of your wrist and pulled you out of the crowd. “Hmm? We’re going already?” You pouted.

“Uhh…there’s a lot of other things to look at besides that.” He kicked himself for giving in. *I’m shameless.*

The two of you walked passed a few stand selling accessories. Joon saw your eyes scanned the hair bands and pins, but you didn’t bother to stop and look at it.

 “Hey…” you said looking at him, “Komawo.”

“For what?” He gave you a puzzled look. “For bringing me here. This place is amazing.” You grinned gleefully.

*You’re that happy?* His inside churned. He didn’t want to look at you so he looked ahead. It would be easier for him. He hated the way he loved your smile.

The two of you stopped in the middle of an intersection deciding which way to go next. “Wait here.” Joon said and before you can give him an answer he ran back towards where the both of you came from. You scratched your head and shrugged.

As you stood there waiting, you saw a little girl crying just a few feet away from you. In her hand was a teddy bear balloon, but she was all alone. Hesitantly, you walked up to her and slowly kneeled down to her height.

“Are you lost? Where’s your mommy?” You asked her sweetly, concerned. Tears rolled endlessly out of her big adorable eyes. She sniffled and looked at you shaking her head. You didn’t know what to do, but you didn’t want to leave her all alone either. It’s too scary and you knew this feeling well.

So, you stood next to her trying to comfort her. “Don’t worry, you’re mommy is looking for you. She will find you very soon. Unnie will make sure you’re ok.” Her lips trembled, but she nodded as you gave her an assuring smile.

~~~

Joon jogged back to the stand selling hair accessories. *Which one..?* He quickly scanned through everything and picked up a simple braided gold headband with a small sparkling bow at the side. After he paid for it, he stuffed it in his pocket.

Beep Beep Beep.” Joon took out his phone to see several missed calls from Seungho. He unlocked his phone and read the text messages.

                 Seungho: Lazer seen at Cheonggyecheon River. Find Min Hee quick.

*That bastard was following us!* Joon ran as fast as he could back to you. The crowd seemed to have suddenly increased even more than before. He pushed his way through anxiously. His heart raced hoping to get to you as soon as possible.

~~~

“Yu Ni-ah!!” A worried voice shouted across from you and the little girl. You looked up to see a woman running towards you with her arms stretched out widely. She was still quite far away.

“Omma!!!” the little girl cried and ran towards her mother as well. You smiled in relief glad that they would be able to reunite and she hasn’t been abandoned.

As the little girl ran towards the middle of the intersection, earsplitting sound of motorcycles were heard. You instantly looked to your right and saw three of them coming at an extremely fast speed towards the intersection as well.

*Oh no!* You looked back to the little girl in fright. You ran after her and swiftly cradled her into your arms as you spun around trying to get across to the other side. You stumbled to the ground, but your body was protectively shielding her causing you to scrape your elbows on the concrete.

“My baby!” The woman cried and grabbed her little girl to the safe side. Her balloon escaped and floated into the sky.

You limply got up to your feet as the motorcycles encircled you. “What the….” You turned around looking at each of them driving around you like they were about to attack. *This isn’t Joon or Seungho. Who are these people?!*

~~~

Joon ran as he saw you fall to the ground holding onto a little girl. His eyes darted and spot the motorcycles coming your way. “!” He shouted and picked up his speed.

It felt like eternity until he would be able to reach you. Everything around him was a blur as his eyes focused only on you. *You stupid fool! Run faster!*

As if time has stopped and his legs were running in slow motion, Joon saw you fearfully looked around with watery eyes. *She’s looking for me!* Then he knew exactly what they were going to do to you. *Don’t en touch her! I swear…*

~~~

You saw one of motorcyclist nod to the others and sped off. He quickly made u-turn and headed straight back your way with his left arm stretched out ready to grab you. You couldn’t run or move, still being held hostage by the other two.

“Joon-ah…where are you?” You softly whimpered as he came closer and closer to you.

Just when you spotted Joon sprinting your way, you were swept off your feet onto the motorcycle.

“NO!! JOON!!” You screamed and struggled as you met eyes with him, but he was a second too late to get to you.

“Min Hee!” He ran after you, not being able to catch up. His heart pounded out of his chest as he angrily grabbed his hair. *Useless! You couldn’t even save her!*

Your hopeless cry while reaching out to him, kept replaying over and over in his mind cutting him up to into pieces. “Arrgh!” He ran rapidly back to his motorcycle and dialed Seungho’s number.

“Gather the guys. He took HER.” Joon sped off after you. His adrenaline ran through his body crazily.

~~~

Uh-oh. Hope this left you wanting more! AHA! I’m really beat up right now. Hopefully I will be able to get to the next chapter tomorrow! Thanks for reading!