Chapter 5

Warrior Games

 

Chapter 5

 

Jonghyun sat in Changmin’s healing quarters, watching the older rest as the sheets mirror his breathing. The doctor came in then; he pressed his pointer and middle finger onto Changmin’s wrist and checked the sleeping boy’s pulse. Key mustered up all of his courage to come and visit the younger. Jonghyun noticed the younger and waited until the doctor left to speak.  “I-I’m so sorry, Jonghyun. I didn’t mean for him to get hurt, I tried I really tried-“ “go to hell.” Jonghyun growled. Key’s mouth snapped shut he couldn’t believe this, “do you actually think this is my fault?” Key asked. Jonghyun stood up and took out his dagger that he was given, “I’d love to just cut your tongue off, damn it, you promised you’d look after him, was all that talk about you being tougher than you look, a lie?” Jonghyun hissed. Key looked at Changmin then at the older boy, “I’ll make it up to you Jonghyun, I never thought that this would happen.” He said. Jonghyun chuckled, “exactly you don’t think. I wonder, did you end up here in the first place because of your carelessness? I can’t believe Taemin has you for a brother, I actually feel bad for him.” Key saddened and fell to his knees and bowed, “I’m so sorry.” Tears began to fall down his cheeks, “I was trying-“ “Trying isn’t going to save Changmin!” Jonghyun finally yelled. Key looked up at the older and saw pure hate in his eyes. Key nodded and stood up, he turned and left. Jonghyun breathed out a sigh before the door opened again, this time, to reveal Onew walking in with some food. “How is he?” He asked. Jonghyun sighed, “He’ll be alright.” “If that’s true then was it necessary to yell at Key like that?” Onew asked. Jonghyun was a little shocked but, it didn’t bother him, “you heard?” Onew smirked, “I think the whole kingdom heard you.” Jonghyun looked at the older, “was I wrong to yell at him?” He asked. Onew set the tray of food down on the night stand, “yeah it was and the truth of the matter is that, you two are the same.” Jonghyun looked at the older, “you’re not making any sense.” Onew got serious, “let me make it clearer to you. Key isn’t Taemin’s real brother. Taemin’s real brother was executed. Key was a homeless boy like you and Changmin and he always came to see Taemin, pretty soon, he started living with him and Taemin acknowledged him as his brother. Key has never been yelled at like that especially by someone of his background, homeless.” Jonghyun wasn’t moved at this one bit, “so? People learn to fend for themselves.” Onew smirked, “we’ll see who gets the blame when Key gets it into his head to steal for Changmin’s sake.” Jonghyun chuckled, “you know you’re really not making sense to me.” Onew smiled, “you’ll know what I’m talking about soon enough, I know Key better than you do, and if there is one thing I do know is that he will do anything to help the one’s that are close to him.”

 

 

*

 

 

Meanwhile, Key was walking through the corridors of the palace. His feet dragged him to the door of the castle. He wiped his tears with the back of his sleeve as Jonghyun’s words rang through his head. He reached for the door and left, he would make it up to Jonghyun and he would do it by getting some medical supplies from the market. He knew that he was going to get in trouble but, he didn’t care, as long as Changmin survived and Jonghyun wouldn’t be mad at him anymore. Once he arrived, he went to the medical cart and looked at the different kinds of pain relievers, bandages, and antiseptics. He needed all of these items but, when he checked his pockets for money, there was none. He took all of the items and when the man in charge of the cart turned around Key ran. However, a palace guard saw this and yelled, “Theif! Get him in the name of the king!” As Key ran for his life, he took off the price tags off of the items and threw them into the fire of a near by black smith shop, ‘they can’t arrest the nurse and doctor if there is no price tag.’ Key thought as he turned a corner. He then got back into the palace through a secret door that he found recently. It brought him to the medical chambers. He ran into Changmin’s recovery room and placed the objects down onto the nurses table and ran back out only to get caught by the guards.