Chapter 19

Warrior Games

 

Later that night, Jonghyun snuck into the dungeon while Changmin was with Junsu talking with the student who made a pact with the king. Jonghyun snuck passed the guard that was fast asleep on duty. Jonghyun looked through the cell bars to try and find Key. When he found the cell he was searching for, he grabbed the bars and whispered, “Key baby.” The younger slowly lifted his head and smiled, weakly as he replied, “J-Jonghyun.”  The older smiled “Are you alright?” Key’s head dropped and he gasped for breath before saying, “I’ll be alright, how’s Taemin?” Jonghyun looked around to make sure that no one was coming before replying, “He hasn’t woken up yet. Minho has been sitting with him all day.” Key fell silent; he couldn’t bear to loose his only family. “Key,” Jonghyun’s voice sounded, Key looked up at the cell door and waited for Jonghyun to continue, “He’ll be alright, don’t worry.” Key’s tears rolled down his cheeks and he confessed, “I love you Jonghyun.” Jonghyun was taken back by the random comment, “I love you too Key-“ “They’ll execute me tomorrow Jonghyun.” Jonghyun perked up, “What?” Key’s hands fisted and he said, “The king told me that he will execute me tomorrow at the games.” Jonghyun didn’t see this coming; he slid his hand through the cell bars and said, “Come here, Key.” The younger slowly stood up and pulled at the chain restraints as he tried to get closer to his lover. “You can do it Key, come here.” Jonghyun encouraged the younger. Key continued to pull at the restraints until the chains gave out and broke. Key walked over to the older and Jonghyun cupped the younger boy’s cheek. Key smiled and leaned into the touch. “Come here, I want to kiss you.” Key stepped to the door so Jonghyun could lean in and place his lips onto the younger’s. They shared a gentle kiss that had so much emotion with a mixture of sadness and passion. The kiss was interrupted by footsteps that were closing in to the dungeon. Jonghyun pecked Key’s lips again and ran off. Key settled back against the wall as a guard walked passed his cell completely oblivious to the fact that there was an intruder.

 

 

 

The next day, Key was hauled out to the stadium where everyone was watching. Key was forced to his knees as he faced the king. Out of his peripheral, he saw Jonghyun and the others including Taemin who was crying in Minho’s arms. Key sighed and looked at the man in front of him who took out his sword and pointed it at Key’s heart, “Any last words?” The man asked. Key glared up and said, “You’re killing an innocent person that’s all I have to say.” The man smirked and lunged at Key. Everything went in slow motion, how the sword flew towards Key, the younger slightly moving to the side making the blade only graze him. The audience gasped as Key stood, his wrists chained to each other. The man backed away and lunged again, this time the blade pierced the skin of the younger. Key’s eyes widened as he sunk to one knee and collapsed on the sandy floor.