Older Sister

Secret Love - DISCONTINUED

- Bang Yong Guk -

 

It was a late night on one autumn day. As usual, I stayed behind for practicing my dance. Jongup had gone back to our dorm since he would need to go to school tomorrow. The other trainees had gone home too. I had finished my practice and decided to go back to dorm. I was walking on the corridor and passed another practice room that we were usually used. But when I passed the door, I caught a glimpse of someone dancing inside the room. I stopped and moved back to have a better look.

 

There was someone dancing inside in the dim light room. I narrowed my eyes to get a better look and I realized that it was a girl who danced inside. But then, I also realized that the girl was Seo Yul. I didn’t know that Seo Yul could dance. But judging to her way to comment our dance moves, I could guess that she was a dancer too.

 

Seo Yul dance moves were powerful yet gentle when she needed to. Her body seemed flexible too. She tied her hair into a ponytail. She was using a loose sweater and tight pants. But then, her dancing was enchanting and I couldn’t tear my gaze away from her. She was attractive on her own way.

 

I didn’t know why I opened the door and went in. And when Seo Yul ended her dance, I gave her applause. Of course it was making her surprised. She turned to look at me. It seemed that she didn’t expect someone would see her.

 

“Yong Guk.”

 

“Your dance is great, Nunna,” I said as I clapped and came to her.

 

She smiled. “I don’t think I’m not that good.” She scratched behind her ear as she slightly tilted her head.

 

I noticed that she did that gesture a lot whenever she was embarrassed. I guessed it was her habit. She turned and walked toward the wall.

 

“Do you often dance?” I asked as I was following her.

 

“Not really.” She sat with her back on the wall. “I used to dance. But now, I don’t have much time to do it. I just do it whenever I got time.”

 

I sat beside her. “Were you once a trainee or something?”

 

She smiled. “No,” she said as she took her bottle. “Even though I like to dance and to sing, I never became a trainee like you.”

 

“Why?”

 

Then I saw a bitter smile on her face. “Because of many reasons.” She exhaled then dropped her gaze. “But probably it was because my family condition back then.”

 

“Ah…” I remembered that her dad had gone since she was 15. “It must be hard for you.”

 

“It was,” she said. “Especially for Eomma. She was the one who bear everything. She worked to raise 3 kids on her own. Lucky for us that Appa’s family helped us with the tuition fee. But other than that, Eomma have to work on her own.”

 

She looked down to her bottle and tried to open it. But it seemed that the cap was jammed so she was having difficulties to open the cap. I noticed it and took the bottle from her hand. I opened it and returned it to her.

 

“Thank you,” she said happily then drank the drink. “So, how’s your training so far?”

 

I smiled. “It’s fine.” I looked at her. “But I guess you’ve known it better than I do.”

 

She smiled and nodded. “The trainers said that you’re getting better.” She nudged my arm with her elbow. “You have proven yourself to them.”

 

I smiled shyly. “Yeah, I guess I did.”

 

“And Untouchable will have their album soon.” She looked at me. “Do you want to be their back dancer at that time?”

 

The offer surprised me. “Really? You’re not kidding, right?”

 

Seo Yul nodded. “I’m not kidding. Jiyoung-ssi gives you a good review and he also thinks that you can be Untouchable’s back dancer for their next stage. And if you want to, I can make it happen.”

 

I smiled wider. “Thank you so much,” I said as I dropped my gaze.


“And…” Seo Yul paused. “How’s Jongup?”

 

I looked at her and wondered why she asked it. “Why?”

 

“Are both of you manage to get along?”

 

I became silent with her question. Probably on the training center, I could guide Jongup and helped him. But on the dorm, I always left him alone to do something or to sleep at the room. It wasn’t because I hated him or disliked him. I just liked to be alone. But I was amazed that Seo Yul would notice about me and Jongup. I guessed she always took her time to care about each of us personally. I heard that she often came to Secret’s dorm and cooked for them or stayed overnight with them. I thought that she was treating us like her own little siblings. She always became a good older sister to every artist and every trainee here.

 

Then, I felt a nudge on my shoulder. I turned my gaze and I saw that Seo Yul was leaning toward me.

 

“Remember that you’re not a solitary warrior anymore, Yong Guk. You have someone with you now and both of you will be part of the new group. You have to learn to open up yourself.” She smiled gently. “Be a good leader, a good friend for the other members and a good big brother to the younger members.”

 

Then she moved apart. But I started to realize that she had confirmed that I was part of the new group and probably I could be the leader of the group. I looked at Seo Yul who already stood up and took her bag.

 

“Nunna.” I called her as I stood up.

 

Seo Yul stopped and turned.

 

“Does it mean that I’m part of the group?”

 

Seo Yul smiled. “You’re the first choice anyway and you already proved that you’re worth to be part of the group.”

 

I smiled because of it. “Really?”

 

She nodded.

 

“Thank you.” I bowed.

 

She just smiled. “Now, come on. I’ll drop you off on your dorm.”

 

I slung my bag back to my shoulder and came to her. We were walking out from the office.

 

 

- Kim Seo Yul -

 

I was monitoring at the Untouchable’s dance practice for the new song. They would have their first stage soon and now they were having their final rehearsal.

 

As I had said to Yong Guk, I included him and also Jongup as the back dancer of the performance. I thought it would be good for them to gain some experiences on the stage.

 

At that moment, I saw Yong Jun came in to the room and came to me. I looked at him. He was bringing a CD case with him. But I was sure that it was a new song for Secret’s comeback.

 

We had planned that Secret would have their comeback on the beginning of the next year. But Sajangnim wanted to have different image from Secret. So, the producers were trying to make new song with different image from Madonna, Magic or even I Want You Back. They were scheduled to have a briefing with Secret today. I couldn’t come since I had to monitor Untouchable now. So, I asked Yong Jun to replace me.

 

Actually, I had listened to the song. And judging to the girls’ character, I didn’t think that they would have a hard time to adjust their selves with the new concept.

 

Yong Jun arrived on my side and handed the CD to me.

 

“Secret’s new song?” I asked.

 

“Yes,” Yong Jun said.

 

I took the CD from him and opened the case. There was a title from the song on the surface of the CD. It called ‘Shy Boy’. I nodded and closed the CD case again then looked back at him.

 

“And how’s the girls reaction?”

 

Yong Jun seemed to think for a while. “Hum… they seemed to shock.”

 

I exhaled. “And where’s the girls now?”

 

“On the 2nd practice room,” Yong Jun said. “They start to learn the song today. So, they meet the vocal trainer now. The recording schedule will be set on next week.”

 

I nodded. “Thank you. You can go now.”

 

Yong Jun bowed then walked away. I looked at the CD again and sighed.

 

As I had thought, the girls would have a hard time to adjust their selves with the new song. I guessed I would need to put them as my priority right now. I thought they would need me at this moment.

 

So, on the next following day, I told Yong Jun that I would handle Secret personally for their comeback. With this, I could watch them closely. But, lucky for me, the girls seemed to be able to overcome the difficulty. They managed to pull out their cute image and everything went according to the schedule. But then, I noticed that Zinger seemed to act different. She was still laughing and talking as usual, but I noticed that she seemed to be different. I felt that she must be having some troubles.

 

One night, I went back to the office after having a meeting with the producers for new songs. I brought foods with me since I knew that the girls and also 3 members of the new group were at the practice room.

 

But when, I entered the building and went to the stairs, I saw Yong Guk sitting on the stairs. He straightened his body as he saw me. It seemed that he had waited for me. Somehow I could guess that Zinger had told him what happened. I knew that the girls, especially Zinger and Jieun, were closed with him. I came to him.

 

“Why are you still here?” I asked him. “Late night practice again?”

 

He smiled and nodded. “Yeah.”

 

“Is Secret still on the practice room?” I asked him.

 

“Yeah,” he said. “They’re having a dance practice for performance.”

 

“Are you waiting for me?”

 

He nodded.

 

“About the girls and their new songs?”

 

Yong Guk nodded again. “Hana called me last night.”

 

I knew that Yong Guk and Zinger were closed since they shared the same music interest.

 

“She feels depressed with the new concept. You must be known that she dreamed to perform hip-hop, right? But with this new concept, she feels that she won’t be able to fit in.”

 

I sighed.

 

“I already thought that she will feel that.” I turned and leaned my back on the wall. I looked at him. “Did she tell you everything?”

 

Yong Guk nodded. “But I can understand her.”

 

“The concept of the songs is decided by Sajangnim and also the producers according to the strategic planning team. We, the managers, don’t have any authorities to against it.”

 

“But then, what will you do about her, nunna?” He asked. “You can’t let her in despair like that, right?”

 

I smiled. “I know.” I dropped my gaze then looked at him. “I’ll try to speak with her. But then, it will depend to Zinger herself to overcome the problem.”

 

Yong Guk stood up and took the plastic bag from my hand. “But at least she will listen to what you say to her. She always looks up on you as if you’re her own sister.” He lifted the plastic bag. “I’ll bring this to the practice room. We’re having break. She’s on the vocal room alone right now.” Yong Guk turned and walked up the stairs.

 

I smiled. “Thank you, Yong Guk-ah.”

 

He only raised his hand and waved. On most of the time, I guessed I could lean on Yong Guk to help me. He was a reliable person despite of his younger age.

 

I exhaled then walked up to the 2nd floor. I went to the vocal room. The room was dimmed when I arrived. But I could see that there was someone sitting on piano chair in the dark with her back on the door. I opened the door slowly. It was Zinger who sat there. She looked around as she heard the door opened. But then, she quickly looked away and wiped her tears.

 

I the light. “Why are you here alone?” I asked as I came closer.

 

“Nothing,” she said.

 

But I knew that she was crying. I patted her head then walked to sit beside her. I opened the piano cover and played random song on the piano.

 

“Unnie.” Finally I heard her saying something.

 

“Hum?”

 

“What will unnie do if someone told you to do something that you didn’t like?”

 

I stopped playing and smiled. “Probably I will still do it.”

 

“Why?”

 

I looked at her. “Probably now, you see that I’m enjoying my life and work, right?”

 

She nodded.

 

“To tell you the truth, I couldn’t enjoy my self when I was younger.”

 

Zinger seemed to wonder.

 

“And after Appa died, my family was having difficulties with life. Eomma had to raise 3 kids on her own and also the financial problem. I dreamed of being entertainer. But I couldn’t do it because it would burden my mom. So I was trying to be a good girl, studied hard, entered the third grade university with the major that I didn’t want and even worked in a company that I didn’t like before I graduated.”

 

“Why were you doing it?”

 

“I guess I was thinking that I didn’t want to burden my mom. I need to think about my future and the chance that I will have. I also have to think about everyone around me, my sister and also my brother. I cannot be greedy and selfish.”

 

I looked at Zinger.

 

“I know it won’t help you much but I understand how you feel. I also can’t help you because it’s a problem that you will need to overcome. But, I want you to know that everyone has faced the same problem like you.” I paused. “And don’t forget that you’re not alone. You still have the members to be with you. And if you want to, you’re free to come to my place.”

 

I nudged her shoulder with my shoulder.

 

“Besides, think this as a challenge for you to show your cuteness.”

 

Zinger dropped her gaze and smiled. “I’m not cute like Sunhwa, Jieun and Hyosung.”

 

“Says who?” I said. “You’re all my cute little sisters. Even you have your own cuteness.”

 

Zinger chuckled.

 

“So, don’t think too much about it. Just endure it and enjoy it. I’m sure you can do it.”

 

Zinger rounded her arm on my arm and snuggled at me. “Thank you, Unnie.”

 

I patted her head again. “Anyway, I guess we’d better go to the practice room. I brought foods for dinner and Yong Guk took it away from me. If we’re not hurry, they won’t leave us some.”

 

Zinger laughed. “Yes, I think we’d better hurry.”

 

I smiled then went out with Zinger. We went to the practice room. Zinger quickly joined her members to eat. Yong Guk, Jongup and Himchan were there with them. I stopped and looked at them. I really wished that Zinger would feel better. After all, I always saw them as little siblings. So I would try my best to help them.

 

At least it was something that I could do for them.

---

 

Please remember that this fic is using Korean Age system which is +1 year from the International Age system.

And it's just a work of fiction. So don't trust the timeline too much.

Follow my twitter AFFalize_sakura for teasers and updates.

Thank you so much for reading, subscribing, commenting and loving the fic.