The One who Taught Me Music

Secret Love - DISCONTINUED

- Kim Seo Yul -

 

 

‘Going Crazy’ promotion was succeeded beyond our expectation. It even became one of the top ten songs across the country. And because of the high demand, we were forced to extend the promotion period to the end of the month. I guessed the hectic schedules of Secret, Untouchable and also Jieun & Yong Guk had distracted me. Besides, our company held another audition on that month to find new talents, especially for the new group. It helped me a lot to distract my mind from all my personal problems.

 

People might call me workaholic, but I didn’t care. I just did what I wanted to do and what I liked to do.

 

From the audition, I found new members, Choi Junhong and Yoo Youngjae. But then, I had another one candidate that I liked amongst the applicants. He was Jung Daehyun and he was from Busan. I saw the video that he submitted for the audition and I liked his voice in an instant. He was a good looking guy too so I guessed he could be the visual on the group along with Himchan So, I traveled to Busan to see his audition. But too bad for me, he didn’t come on the audition.

 

I closed my folder as the audition ended. “Call Jung Daehyun and ask him whether he still wants to have an audition with us.” I ordered the audition manager.

 

“Yes, Timjang-nim,” he said then went away.

 

I stood up. “Where do you want to go, Sunbae?” Yong Jun asked me.

 

“Just to look around,” I said then showed him Daehyun’s file. “And I need to find out why he didn’t come.”

 

A smile came across Yong Jun’s face. Somehow, I knew that he understood my habit. When I set my eyes on someone, I would do as hard as I could to make him or her part of our members.

 

“Just becareful, Sunbae,” he said.

 

I smiled and winked at him, telling him that I would be fine on my own. I went out from the building and walked to the car that I rented during my stay on Busan. I went in and drove away. I went to the art academy where Daehyun joined. I knew where the place was since I had gone there for few times. I even knew some teachers over there, including Daehyun’s teacher.

 

When I arrived there, I went out from my car and came in to the academy. I went straight to the teachers’ room. I knew that Im Jung Ok Seonsaengnim would be there at the moment. And when I entered the room, he already saw me.

 

“Ah, Kim Seo Yul,” he said with his cheerful voice as he saw me.

 

I smiled to see him. “Annyeonghaseyo, Seonsaengnim,” I greeted him politely as I bowed.

 

“Uwah, it’s so nice to see you here,” he said as he welcomed me with a hand-shake and a big smile.

 

“It’s nice to see you too, Seonsaengnim,” I told him.

 

“How many years has it been?” He asked. “9 years? 10 years?”

 

I chuckled to hear that. “It has been 12 years,” I replied him.

 

Im Seonsaengnim was someone that gave me vocal lesson while I was still on High School. He was teaching me privately for free and I appreciated him for it. He told me that he couldn’t stand with someone that talented but couldn’t afford to make their selves better. I guessed because of him, I could manage to survive from my boring life. And I thanked him because what he had given me back then was useful for me right now. He had been a fatherly figure for me and I would always respect him. I owed him so much.

 

“So, what brings you here?”

 

“Ah, can I be honest with you?"

 

He chuckled. "Of course you can. You always can." Then he raised his palm on me, telling me to wait. "Wait. Let's go to the canteen so we can talk freely."

 

I nodded then walked out with him. I followed him to a canteen. As I walked, I watched closely at him.

 

Im seonsaengnim was still young back then when he taught me. Now he had been grown older and already married with 2 children. I noticed that he had wrinkles on his face and few white hairs on his hair. But something that never changed from him. He was a good teacher who could sing and play piano very well. He even taught me the basic piano lesson too. I developed my piano skill on my own after I graduated from High School.

 

We came to the canteen. Just like the ordinary school canteen, this canteen didn't have any different. There were tables and chairs in rows. On one side, there was food stalls. Sonsaengnim bought drinks from the stalls. He went to one of the tables and sat on the chairs.

 

"Have a seat," he told me as he pointed at the chair in the front of him.

 

I smiled and sat there. He put the drink in the front of me. I thanked him for it.

 

"So, what's the matter?"

 

"It's about Jung Daehyun."

 

"Oh?" An acknowledge look came to his face.

 

"He's your student, right?"

 

"Yes. But how do you know about him?" He seemed curious.

 

"He sent us a video for audition."

 

"Ah…" He looked understood about it. "So, Daehyunie sent you a video for audition." He smiled. "What do you think about him then?"

 

"He's great," I told Seonsaengnim as I smiled. "His voice is raw but he has strong basic to become a singer. If he can have the training for Idols, I guess he can be succeeded."

 

A smile came across his face as I talked. I was sure that he was feeling proud. "So, do you think he can be an idol?"

 

I smiled. "I guess yes." I paused. "But too bad that he didn't come to our audition today."

 

A surprise look came to Seonsaengnim's face. "What? He didn't come?"

 

I nodded.

 

Then it seemed that Seonsaengnim realized about something. "Ah, he has a competition today. He just called me to tell me that he got the second place." He grinned. "But I'm so sorry that he missed your audition because of the competition."

 

I smiled to comfort him. "I don't mind. I told our casting team to call him again for another audition."

 

"Ah, you are working on an entertainment company right now." He paused as he was thinking. "The artist is Secret. Am I right?"

 

I nodded. "Yes, you're right. It is a company that my uncle established. I worked there as Music Division Managing Team Leader."

 

"Wow, you're a team leader now."

 

I smiled. "But it's not something that I can be proud of."

 

"But do you like your job now?"

 

I nodded. "I like it better than my previous job."

 

"Then?"

 

"And then…." I exhaled. "I was appointed by my company's sajangnim to develop a new hip hop idol group. I already have 5 members for the group so far. But I don't want to burden my main vocalist. So, I'm looking for another vocalist."

 

"Then, Daehyunie is a good choice for you."

 

"Yes." I admitted that he was right.

 

"I'll try to talk with Daehyunie and try to convince him to take the offer. Just tell me if he becomes stubborn."

 

I chuckled. "Thank you, Seonsaengnim." I thanked him as I slightly bowed.

 

"You know what." He paused. "Daehyunie reminds me of you."

 

I smiled as I wondered why Seonsaengnim said that I looked like Daehyun. "Why?"

 

"He has strong passion in music and he's talented. But he was having financial problem too. Just like you, back then."

 

"Ah…" I understood why. Same like me, Daehyun loved music. Probably our taste was different. But the passion toward music was something that similar from us, according to Seonsaengnim. But then, how I could put my self on the same level with Daehyun. He managed to do something that he wanted to do while I didn’t.

 

"But I guess he's strong enough to get on something that he likes. I'm not as strong as him,” I said. “I gave up my dream to sing.”

 

"But you have the patience to wait for the time that you're able to get your dream. You have waited until you can get something that you want to do."

 

I smiled. I guessed patience was my virtue.

 

Then…

 

"Im Seonsaengnim!"

 

I heard a boy's voice calling Im Seonsaengnim. I looked around and saw a cute looking boy coming to our table. I knew him. He was Jung Daehyun.

 

"Speaking of the devil…"

 

I heard Seonsaengnim said. I looked back at him, wanting to ask him not to tell Daehyun that I was part of TS Entertainment Company. I didn’t want Daehyun to think that I was too interested on him till the point that I would come to see him. But I guessed Sonsaengnim could see my worry.

 

"Don't worry. I won't tell," Seonsaengnim said as he winked at me “. I won’t raise his hope and pride first before he got in to your place.” He stood up as he turned to look at Daehyun. "Yes, Daehyunie?"

 

"I get the second place on the competition."

 

Seonsaengnim smiled. "Congratulation for that, though I hope that you would get the first place."

 

"I will try harder next time." Then he noticed my presence. "Ah, sorry. I didn't know that you have a visitor."

 

Seonsaengnim looked at me. "May I introduce you to my old student?" He introduced me. "Her name is Kim Seo Yul. She was my student when I was still on Seoul."

 

"Ah." Daehyun seemed to realize something. He quickled gave me a bow. "Annyeonghaseyo, Sunbaenim. I'm Jung Daehyun."

 

"Annyeonghaseyo," I replied him politely.

 

"You know what, Seo Yul."

 

I looked back at Seonsaengnim.

 

"Somehow I really want to see you two having a duet right now."

 

"Now?" I asked in confusion.

 

Seonsaengnim just nodded. "You're not in hurry, right?"

 

I shook my head. "Anni," I replied as I smiled and stood up. I didn’t have any schedule anymore today. So, I guessed I had some free time. I would come back to Seoul tomorrow morning. Besides, it could be a great chance for me to witness Daehyun’s ability by my own eyes.

 

He smiled in satisfaction then looked at Daehyun. "You're good with it?"

 

Daehyun smiled. "Yes, I guess its fine for me."

 

"Then, let's go."

 

Seonsaengnim had us to have a duet. It really was a great moment for me to test his talent personally. Jung Daehyun was a good singer. I really wanted him to be part of the new group.

 

As I left the academy and sat on the car, I quickly made a call to In Hyuk.

 

"In Hyuk, whatever happens during Jung Daehyun's audition, I want him to pass," I told In Hyuk. "I already tested his skill and he has proven it to me. So he's passed."

 

And I wished that Daehyun would join us any time soon.

 

I can't wait to have him on our group.

 

---

 

Sorry for the useless and short Chapter. Please remember that this fic is using Korean Age system which is +1 year from the International Age system.

And it's just a work of fiction. So don't trust the timeline too much.

Follow my twitter AFFalize_sakura for teasers and updates.

Thank you so much for reading, subscribing, commenting and loving the fic.