I Remember

Secret Love - DISCONTINUED

- Kim Seo Yul -

 

I was doing some works at my room at my mom’s house. I was there because I had promised her that I would visit her during the weekend. So, I handed all my works for the weekend to my team and took the time off from Friday.

 

Actually, it wasn’t the right time for me to take a break. The schedules were a little hectic because of Untouchable’s new album promotion and Secret’s comeback. But since it was my mom that asked me to visit her, I forced to take a break.

 

Secret had started another round of promotion for their new single, Starlight Moonlight, on June 1st. Even though the concept of the song was cuteness again, Zinger didn’t feel stressed over it. I guessed she had overcome her problem so I didn’t feel worried about her.

 

But then, I received bad news from Untouchable. Both of they had received their military service letters and they would have to do their mandatory military service on August. So, the planning team started to discuss about debuting the new group as soon as possible. They were discussing and building the new group’s concept right now and also their plan for this new group. I was expecting them to give me the report soon to me or to Sajangnim.

 

Then, I heard my phone rang.

 

I diverted my gaze from my laptop’s screen to the phone that laid beside the laptop. I looked at the display screen and found the name Michael Kim on the screen. It was One Way’s Chance who called me. I knew him since I had a job to do on YJ Media when he got his debut. Between the three members of One Way, I closed with him. I acknowledged his composing skill.

 

And because of him, I used my English skill a lot. Michael was fluent in English. In the most of the time, I spoke in English with him. But, it was fun to speak English with him.

 

But when I saw his name on my phone screen, I frowned. It was rare for him to call me. The last time he called me was when his group released another album last year, asking me to support their album. Now, he was active as a song writer and composer. But still, I answered the call.

 

“Hello,” I said in English because I knew that he was fluent in English.

 

“Hello, Nunna. It’s me, Michael.”

 

I smiled as I rested my free hand’s lower arm on the table. “I know.”

 

“How are you?”

 

I hummed for a while. At least, I wasn’t sick right now. So I thought I was fine. “I think I’m fine,” I answered.

 

I could hear him chuckled then said, “Sorry for not calling you often.”

 

“It’s fine. I know that you’re busy with One Way and your composing job.”

 

“Anyway…” He paused as he inhaled. “I heard that your company has a new trainee that featured on Song Jieun’s solo song.”

 

Somehow, this was what I had expected from Michael to say next. I actually hated if someone would have an unnecessary chat with me before they said what they wanted. I was a straight-to-the-point type so I didn’t like someone to beat around the bush. And I really relieved that Michael remembered about that.

 

“Yeah. His name is Bang Yong Guk. He’s a trainee on my company now. I guess if everything goes well, he will have his debut soon.”

 

“But is it true that he wrote his own part on that song?” Michael asked again.

 

“Yes,” I replied. “He has good sense on writing lyrics and has some good reviews for his lyrics. So, I recommended him to Kang Jiwon-ssi and Kim Kibum-ssi to co-write the lyric.”

 

Somehow I could imagine that he was nodding on the other side. I could predict that he had interest on Yong Guk. That thought made me smiled. Besides, Yong Guk was my favorite among the boys so it was making me proud to know that someone had interest on him.

 

“Why?” I asked again. “Do you have interest on him?”

 

I heard he scoffed in amusement as I had guessed right.

 

“I guess I am,” he said.

 

A smile bloomed on my lips with his honest reply. “Want me to introduce you to him?”

 

“Sure. I would love to meet him. Can we meet tomorrow?”

 

Eh? Tomorrow?

 

“Ah…,” I said in disappointment. “Actually, I’m at my mom’s house in Nowon-gu today.”

 

“Oh, it’s fine. I’m also at Nowon-gu too for this weekend.”

 

What? He’s on Nowon-gu?

 

“I have a business here.”

 

Ah, so he had works to do in Nowon-gu. No wonder if he was here.

 

“Okay then. Tell me where I can meet you. I’ll call Yong Guk to come here.”

 

“I’ll send you the place and the time we could meet by text message.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“And, I have to go now. I’m in the middle of taking a break from writing another song, actually.”

 

I chuckled because of it. It was amused me to know that he was taking a break just to call me. Probably he was seriously taking an interest at Yong Guk to the point that he was willingly sacrificed his working time. So, I guessed I couldn’t let him down.

 

“Okay. I’ll be waiting for your message.”

 

“See you, Nunna.”

 

“See you.”

 

Then I hung up the phone.

 

Somehow I felt proud to know that a composer like Michael had put his interest on Yong Guk. I guessed my choice to get Yong Guk as the part of our company was right. And somehow, I really would like to see him growing bigger than now.

 

Then I received a message from Michael about the meeting place. I looked at the address and my heart dropped in an instant. I recognized the address. The place was quietly near from my old college on Wolgye-dong. In the matter of fact, it was an address of the café outside the campus area, right in the front of the gate. I remembered that the college students always came to that cafe. I really wondered why Michael was there.

 

Actually, I felt reluctant to come near my old college. I could go anywhere except to there. It was because that guy was there. I never wanted to see him because I was afraid of seeing him again. I was afraid that I would find my self broken-hearted again. It was also the reason why I decided to move out from my house when I started to have a job. I didn’t want to go somewhere near him.

 

But I still needed to be a professional so I pushed my ego for a while. It was for working so I had to endure it. Besides, it would be Sunday when I met Michael. Probably that man wouldn’t be at the campus. I convinced my self about it.

 

And, I needed to call Yong Guk. I looked up for his phone number and dialed his number. I waited for him to pick up the phone.

 

“Hello, Yong Guk?”

 

“Yae, Nunna…”

 

I frowned. He sounded sleepy. I looked at the clock and found that it was still 9PM. I didn’t know why Yong Guk already slept at this hour. Usually he slept late at night or probably almost in the morning. But probably he was so tired with all the activities that he had lately. But then, I was still curious.

 

“Are you sleeping?”

 

“For a while,” he said then exhaled. “But I’m awake now. What’s the matter?”

 

I grinned as I felt guilty for him. I was feeling sorry that I had disturbed his resting time. “Sorry,” I apologized to him.

 

“Its fine, Nunna, for real. So tell me what the matter.”

 

I felt that I shouldn’t have bothered him much further. So I told him what my purpose to call him. “I need you to go to Nowon-gu tomorrow morning.”

 

“What?” He sounded surprised. But of course he would surprise. His dorm or even the company and Nowon were quietly far.

 

“Chance from the group One Way called me a while ago. He wanted to meet you tomorrow. I think he wants to offer you a job for song writing. So, I need you to come to Seongbuk-dong on Nowon-gu tomorrow morning.”

 

“Why does it have to be Nowon-gun?” He asked again.

 

“He has business here.”

 

“And why it has to be tomorrow?”

 

I shrugged. I guessed I would need to persuade him a little bit. “I don’t know. But I think the sooner he meets you are the better. It’s for work. And I think it will be worth for you if you come.”

 

I heard him exhaled.

 

“Tell me how to go there, please.”

 

I smiled to hear those words from him. “Just take the subway line 1 and get off on Seongbuk station. I’ll pick you there.”

 

I heard he exhaled. Somehow I was sure that he felt lazy. “Okay, nunna.”

 

So, on the next day, I went to the Seongbuk station to pick Yong Guk. I brought my car to Nowon-gu. I always drove back and forth from my apartment to Nowon-gu whenever I visited my mom. Eomma didn't have cars on the house so it was quite convinence for her if I brought my car along.

 

I saw Yong Guk had been waiting on the street side when I almost reached the station. I pulled my car over in the front of him. He smiled widely as he saw my car stopped in the front of him. He opened up the door and entered the car.

 

"Thank you for coming." I said as he used the seat belt.

 

He smiled. "How can I not come when my boss calls me?" He said as I drove the car away. "I don't want to be cut off from the company." He continued with a big joker smile on his face.

 

I knew that he was joking so I just chuckled. "Ah, you know that I'm not that cruel."

 

I could hear his chuckles.

 

"Anyway, it's my first time on Nowon-gu," he said. "Your family lives here, right?"

 

I nodded. "Yes, just around here,” I said. “Is there any problem while I’m away?”

 

“Not really.” He said. “Anyway, where will we meet Chance sunbaenim?”

 

“Just around the corner.” I said then I turned my car to the right.

 

As my car entered the street in the front of Kwangwoon University, my memories of my college days returned to my mind. I had left the college for 7 years already and never came back until today. Even though it was close with my home, I never went there. But somehow, returning back again to here made me realized that I had missed my college life. Even though the major that I picked wasn’t something that I liked the most, my life at the college and also my friends back at the college were some of many things that I appreciated the most.

 

I turned my car to the parking lot and parked my car there. I looked at Yong Guk as I turned off my car.

 

“Let’s go,” I said then took my bag.

 

Yong Guk went out. I went out and locked my car. We walked out from the parking lot.

 

I looked at the store line in the front of the university as I walked to the café where we would meet Michael. Some cafés, shops and restaurants were still there. There were also some new stores. But everything was still the same. That thought on my mind brought a smile to my face. Somehow, I missed my old college days.

 

“Ah, how nostalgic,” I hummed.

 

“What?”

 

I looked back at Yong Guk. For a moment, I forgot that he was here with me. “Ah, I just remember about my old college days.”

 

“Huh? Your college?”

 

I nodded. “I went to that university over there,” I said as I pointed to the Kwangwoon University’s gate.

 

Yong Guk looked at the university. “You went to Kwangwoon University?!” He looked back at me and seemed surprised.

 

 

- Bang Yong Guk -

 

I almost dropped my jaw when she said that she went to Kwangwoon University. I looked back at her. I was sure that she felt amused to see me feeling very surprised.

 

“Why do you look very surprised?” She asked with an amusing smile on her face.

 

“I thought you went to third-grade University because everyone said so. Kwangwoon is not a third-grade university.”

 

She seemed to understand what I was talking about. “But on the time I entered there, Kwangwoon was on their difficult period. Even though the school is well-known, people still smirked whenever I mentioned the name.”

 

I nodded to her words. I didn’t actually know about Kwangwoon University at her time. But Kwangwoon university was well-known now. “Ah, probably like that.”

 

“But then, what do you know about that? You’re still 11 years old when I entered the university,” she complained with a smile on her face.

 

I laughed to see her attitude. Somehow, it was funny to see her complaining like that. And personally, I thought it was cute. Then, Seo Yul walked to lead the way. I looked back to the Kwangwoon University’s gate for a moment. Even though I complained to Himchan about going to Nowon-gu earlier in this morning, I felt grateful that I was here now. At least, I gained more info about Seo Yul.

 

I looked back to Seo Yul who already walked before me. “Nunna, wait for me,” I said then walked to after her.

 

Then, we entered a café. Seo Yul stopped and looked around as I held the door for her from behind. The café was empty, except for 2 people on the back of the café. It seemed that they were students from Kwangwoon University.

 

“It seems that we’re early.” She said then walked toward a table.

 

I followed her. She took a table at the corner near the window but she didn’t sit and just turned her look to the menu on the counter. I sat on the chair.

 

“What do you want to drink or eat?” She asked as she turned her gaze back to me.

 

“Ah.”

 

The question made me realized that I should have ordered something too. I looked at menu. I told Seo Yul what I wanted then she left to the counter. I looked at her for a moment. Ever since we came out from the car, smiles never left Seo Yul’s face. I guessed she was happy to be able to return to her old college. I didn’t know how long Seo Yul had left. But I guessed it might be long enough.

 

I turned my gaze to the window and saw two men approaching the café. One of them was tall and slender with cute dorky look on his face. He looked young, probably around mid to late 30’s. But somehow, I could feel that he was a smart and kind-hearted guy. Both of them entered the café. The tall man saw Seo Yul at the counter and seemed to recognize her.

 

“Ah, Seo Yul-ah?”

 

Seo Yul turned because of the call. But then, I noticed that was a weird expression on her face before a smile came to her face.

 

“Ah, Choi Seonsaengnim. Annyeonghaseyo,” She greeted the tall man cheerfully. But I noticed there was a slight awkwardness as she bowed to greet the man.

 

The man stopped in the front of her. Probably because the café was so quiet at the moment, I could hear what they said clearly.

 

“It’s a coincident to see you here. I never saw you here before. You don’t live on Nowon-gu anymore.”

 

“Yes, I moved to the central area since my office is nearer there.” Seo Yul said. “But, Seonsaengnim, are you still working on Sunday?”

 

“There’s an event on the campus.”

 

“Ah…” She nodded. She looked understood.

 

“And what are you doing here?”

 

“I have appointment with someone.”

 

At that moment, the café door opened and I saw Chance sunbaenim entered the café.

 

“Ah. He has come.”

 

I heard Seo Yul said. My gaze came back to her and the man. The man was turned to see Chance sunbaenim while Seo Yul turned to get her tray. But I noticed that she seemed to be hurried to leave the man. She turned to the man again.

 

“See you, Seonsaengnim,” she said then walked toward Chance sunbaenim.

 

Seo Yul greeted Chance sunbaenim with a smile on her face and he took the tray from Seo Yul’s hands. They were talking for a while. Seo Yul looked cheerful as she talked to Chance sunbaenim. Then, I saw Seo Yul pointed at me. Chance sunbaenim looked at me and smiled then walked toward me. I quickly stood up to welcome him. But then I heard that man called Seo Yul again. I turned my gaze to Seo Yul. She had stopped and turned to see him.

 

“It’s nice to see you again.” He said with a sweet smile on his face.

 

I noticed that Seo Yul seemed to draw back with the sweet attitude that she received. Then, she smiled and nodded slightly before she came to our table. She sat beside Chance sunbaenim.

 

But I realized something.

 

The smile that Seo Yul gave to Chance sunbaenim and the smile that she gave to that man were different. She was able to smile loosely to Chance sunbaenim. But to that man, she seemed to be awkward and drawn back. She seemed to build a distant with that guy. And somehow, my mind went back to the night when I walked her home.

 

Nine years ago was the time when Seo Yul went to college. Probably she was on her 2nd year. And that man was her lecturer back on her college days. Judging from Seo Yul’s attitude toward him, that man probably had something to do with her painful memories 9 years ago.

 

Then my mind got distracted by Chance sunbaenim. It turned out that Chance sunbaenim interested to have me to co-produce a song. I told him that I would think of any idea soon for the song but he would need to give me time. He agreed and asked me to call him whenever I had any idea.

 

After meeting Chance sunbaenim, we went back to the car. But I realized that Seo Yul seemed to be quieter than before. She might be smiling and talking like usual. But it seemed that she kept something inside. I saw her eyes didn’t spark like usual as she seemed to drown in her own thought.

 

“Ah, it seems that I need to go back today,” she said as she the car.

 

“Why?”

 

She looked at me. “I have works to do.” She smiled. “You don’t mind if we stop by at my family’s house first, do you?”

 

I quickly shook my head as I wanted to meet her family actually.

 

“Okay.” She said then drove her car away.

 

It turned out that her house wasn’t far from Kwangwoon University and also from Seongbuk Station. Her house was small with medium size of yard. As I entered the yard, I saw there were some dogs in the cage on the right side of the yard. They were barking at us. Seo Yul greeted them with cheerful tone as she walked. It seemed that she loved dogs. I followed her again. Seo Yul opened the door and entered the house. I came in after her.

 

“Eomma, I’m home,” she said as she took off her shoes and walked in.

 

I followed her.

 

“Have a seat first, Yong Guk,” she told me as she pointed at the sofa on the living room then turned and walked further in to the house as she called her mother. “Eomma?”

 

I just nodded then looked around. The living room looked very comfort with white and soft khaki color. There was a TV on the room. Then, I saw a tall bookshelf that filled with books and pictures. I came to that bookcase.

 

There were some pictures on that shelf. I recognized some pictures as Seo Yul. I realized that Seo Yul was already beautiful since she was young. But I surprised to see one of the picture that shown Seo Yul dancing a traditional dance while she was a kid. I didn’t know that she could dance Korean Traditional dance. But then, I saw another picture of older woman dancing Korean Traditional Dance. I guessed that would be the answer of why Seo Yul was dancing Traditional Dance.

 

I also saw another girl with her. Probably she was Seo Yul’s sister. She had some resemblance with Seo YUl. But compared to Seo Yul, her sister seemed to be maturely pretty and she looked a little bit bolder than Seo Yul.

 

Then, there was a young boy. I thought he might be Seo Yul’s brother. He really looked like Seo Yul. He had the same eyes and smile with her. But, it seemed that he was closer with the other sister than with Seo Yul because I saw more pictures of them together than his picture with Seo Yul. But I must to admit that Seo Yul’s brother was a good looking guy.

 

Then, I saw a family picture. I guessed it was taken long before Seo Yul’s dad died because Seo Yul was still very young, probably on her early teenage. I looked at her parents. It seemed that her sister was resembled their mother. I saw a picture when Seo Yul’s mom was younger and I could see that her sister was the younger version of their mom.

 

Then, I looked at her father. Seriously, her father was a handsome man. I could see that Seo Yul was resembled their father a lot. There were many resemblances between them.

 

But then, I heard footsteps came closer. I turned and saw Seo Yul came with a woman. I recognized her as Seo Yul’s mom. Compared to Seo Yul, her mother had smaller figure. Her face was beautiful. Even though there were wrinkles on her face, they made her look wiser. And I also didn’t feel intimidated feeling from her. She looked friendly with a gentle smile on her face.

 

Seo Yul came with her mother with her hand rounded on her mother’s arm. A gym bag was slung on her other shoulder.

 

“Eomma, this is…” She paused a moment as she stopped and turned to her mother. “He is one of our trainees on the company. His name is Bang Yong Guk.”

 

Seo Yul’s Eomma nodded to me. I quickly bowed to her.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo. My name is Bang Yong Guk. It’s pleased to meet you, Ma’am.”

 

“Annyeonghaseyo. I’m Seo Yul’s mother.”

 

“I’m so sorry to bother.”

 

Her mother smiled. “It’s fine. Welcome to our house,” she said in friendly way.

 

Seo Yul looked at her mother and explained, “He’s here because we have a meeting earlier. And because of that, I need to come back as soon as possible.”

 

“Ah, alright,” her mother said. “But call me when you’re already arrived, okay.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“And send my regard and thanks to Taesung-ie.”

 

“Yae, Eomma,” Seo Yul said. “I’ll visit you again when I have some time off.”

 

Her mother just nodded.

 

“Annyeong,” Seo Yul said then looked at me. “Come on, Yong Guk.” Then she walked toward the door.

 

I nodded at her then looked at her mother. “It’s nice to meet you, Eomeoni,” I said as I bowed then followed Seo Yul to the door.

 

We went out and came to the car. Her mother was coming us. Seo Yul was holding her hand as they were walking across the yard. Seo Yul looked close with her mother. I could see that she acted like a normal daughter around her mother. But I liked to see her way to hold her mother’s hand and rounded her hand on her mother’s arm as they walked slowly across the yard. I knew that Seo Yul never walked that slowly normally. But she walked slowly with her mother. Somehow, those gestures of her made my heart fluttered.

 

Seo Yul unlocked the car and released her hand from her mother’s hand. She opened the door. I opened the door and came in. Seo Yul started the engine as I opened the window because I saw her mother leaned forward.

 

“Be careful on your journey back, Seo Yul,” her mother said.

 

“Yae.”

 

Then her mother looked at me. “Please take care of my daughter.”

 

But then, I could hear her complained, “Eomma, it’s me who takes care of them.”

 

That words brought smile to her mother’s face as she looked back to her daughter. “Arasseo, arraseo. Just be careful and take care of your self.”

 

“Yae. Annyeong, Eomma,” she said then drove the car away.

 

I couldn’t help but to smile when I saw her attitude toward her mom. Seo Yul might be older, but she acted spoiled with her mom. But then, I could see that Seo Yul cared a lot about her mom. She was a good and nice daughter of her mother.

 

“You’re cute around your mom,” I said as I smiled.

 

Seo Yul pouted her lips because I told her that she was cute. Probably she knew that what I meant was she acted like a spoiled daughter to her mother.

 

“But your dad is handsome,” I continued. “I guess I can see that you got your look from your dad.”

 

A smile came to her face. I guessed she felt praised.

 

“Thank you,” she said.

 

But then, my mind came back to the man that we met on the café. I still wondered about him and what he had with Seo Yul. I knew that it seemed very sensitive until it made Seo Yul became quieter. But there was something that I had expected from her way to act toward that man.

 

“But, nunna…”

 

“Hum?”

 

“Sorry if I’m asking this,” I said. “The man that we met on the café earlier.” Then I paused for a while as I thought about how to ask her without hurting her heart. “Is he the reason for something that you don’t want to remember?”

 

I asked the question carefully. But I noticed that her smile disappeared. She took a deep breath and exhaled. Then she smiled. But I was sure that she was forcing her smile. So, my guess probably was right.

 

“I guess he is,” she said.

 

So, I was right. He was someone that she loved, probably until now. “Did he give you bad memories?”

 

She smiled. “In contrary, he gave me beautiful memories.”

 

“But then why does it hurt you so bad?”

 

She her lips and took another deep breath. “I guess because I can never forget him,” she said. “I never said goodbye properly to him.” She paused. “And he never told me his feeling either.”

 

So he had left her hanging. Probably that was why it hurt Seo Yul.

 

“Who is he?” I asked.

 

“My lecturer back on my college.”

 

What? Her lecturer?

 

“But he looks young.”

 

Seo Yul smiled. “He’s the youngest professor on the campus. Well, he was an assistant professor at my time. But I guess he already become an associate professor now.” A sweet and soft smile came to her face afterward. “I guess he was my first love.”

 

“Then, why don’t you confess your feeling again to him?” Somehow, I didn’t like my question. It felt like I was forcing her to go to another guy beside of me.

 

Then she scoffed. “He’s already married.”

 

“What?”

 

Seo Yul just smiled. But her smile told me that I should stop asking her questions about that man. So, I lowered my position as I leaned back on the seat.

 

But, I could see that Seo Yul seemed to adore that man a lot even though he was hurting her feeling. I also could see that Seo Yul loved him so much to the point that she couldn’t forget about him. I guessed I could understand why she couldn’t like any guys around her. Her feeling was chained to the past.

 

But, will she ever fall in love again?

 

Even though she would ever fall in love again, I just hoped that it was me that she loved.

---

 

Please remember that this fic is using Korean Age system which is +1 year from the International Age system.

And it's just a work of fiction. So don't trust the timeline too much.

Follow my twitter AFFalize_sakura for teasers and updates.

Thank you so much for reading, subscribing, commenting and loving the fic.