Kim Seo Yul, The Team Leader

Secret Love - DISCONTINUED

- Kim Seo Yul -

 

April 2010

 

I put down the lastbox of my belongings on the table and released a sigh. The table would be my new working space starting from today. And in the matter of fact, the whole room that I stood at was my new working space. I looked around and saw the nearly empty room. There was only furniture for working inside the room. The previous team leader took everything with him when he resigned few days ago and left the room empty. But I guessed it could be a good thing for me.

 

This room was going to be my second home so I would need to make it as comfortable as it could be. I guessed I would need to decorate the room later. But it was good to have my own room.

 

I looked at the name plate on the table.

 

Music Division Managing Team Leader Kim Seo Yul

 

I grinned into that title. I didn’t know who the one that put the name plate there was. But somehow to see that title was making me embarrassed. It felt weird when you were suddenly promoted from manager to Team Leader.

 

But yeah, starting from today, I was the new team leader for the Managing team that handled the Music Artists on our company. And because I had joined the company ever since the company established, I knew that I would have bigger responsibility than the managers.

 

Suddenly, I heard knocks on the door. I turned and saw 4 younger girls on the door.

 

“Congratulation for your new position!” They said in unison.

 

I smiled to see them. They were the members of our company’s girl group, Secret. They were debuted on autumn last year. I was close to them since I was the one who scouted them, selected them out of many trainees that we had and I also included on their manager team when they were debuted. So basically I was growing along with them as I handled them. In the matter of fact, I thought I could say that they were my ‘kids’ that I nurtured ever since they were still nothing. I guessed they were like a family for me.

 

They stepped closer to me.

 

“Thank you, girls.” I said as they arrived in the front of me and gave me hugs one by one.

 

“Uwah…” The youngest member, Sunhwa, amazed when she looked around the room. She looked back at me. “I can’t believe that you’re actually having your own room now, Unnie.”

 

“And the name plate is cool.” I heard Zinger, the rapper, said. I always called her, Hana, since her real name was Jung Hana.

 

I smiled as I looked at her. “Yeah.” I leaned on the table. “But somehow it’s making me embarrassed.”

 

“But I guess you deserved to have it.” The leader of the group, Hyo Sung, said as she showed her thumbs. “You’re good, Unnie.”

 

I chuckled. “Yeah, thanks.”

 

Then, another knocks were heard. I looked to the door and saw one of the managers stood on the door. He was a tall and cute guy with slender body. He was also wearing glasses. His name is Im Yong Jun and he was my assistant.Actually, he used to be the junior that learned from me. But as the time went by, he became my assistant since everyone would search for him if they were looking for me and couldn’t find me. Besides, he was quietly close with me among the Managers.

 

“Sorry to interrupt, Sunbae. But you’re called for a meeting.” He said.

 

Suddenly I remembered that I had a regular monthly meeting schedule for discussing the next project and also the development of our artists. “Ah, right,” I said as I straightened my body. “Thank you.” Then I looked back to the girls.

 

Hyo Sung put on the sad expression on her face.

 

“We’ll celebrate it later at night, okay,” I told them. “You’re also having schedules today, right?” I took my planner book from the box.

 

“Yeah,” Jieun said. “We will have to practice for our comeback.”

 

“Then, go practice and I’ll treat you food later,” I said.

 

“Okay, Unnie,” the girls replied me.

 

“Now, go.” I said.

 

The girls obeyed my word. They turned and went away. They also greeted Yong Jun as they were passing him by. Yong Jun just smiled to reply them. Then he looked back at me.

 

“Let’s go?” He asked.

 

I just nodded. I took my pen and went away with him to the meeting room on the CEO room.

 

The meeting that we had was discussing our next steps for the Music Division. Besides the plan for Untouchable and Secret, The CEO, Park Sang-hyun, stated his desire to form a new boy idols group with hip hop theme. Of course the age range would be around early 20’s to teenagers since we wanted to target the teenagers and young adults market. The number of the group members or even their concept would be decided later after we found the talents.

 

Actually we already had Untouchable. But we would need new fresh group. Besides, Sung Won and Kyung Wook would reach the maximum age limit for military enlisted soon. So we needed something to replace the gap when they enlisted. Sang-hyun nim gave the assignment to the casting and training team to start finding new talents for the group.

 

“And Seo Yul-ssi.”

 

I looked at him when Sang-hyun nim mentioned my name. “Yes?”

 

“You will personally handle the group. Work together with the casting and training team to decide the talents for the group. You know how it works since you were part of the team before.”

 

“Hum… okay,” I said.

 

Then the agenda moved to the next topic about the sales from the marketing team.

 

Even though I said okay, I felt a little unconvidence on leading this new group project. I knew that I would have all the support that I could get from the other team. I also had experience with Secret. But still, I felt unconfidence and nervous too since it was my first assignment as the Team Leader and I would be the one who lead this project.

 

“New Hip Hop Idol Group, right?” Jang In Hyuk from the Casting and Training Team muttered as we walked on the corridor on our way back to our rooms. Yong Jun was with me since he was my assistant. It was already evening at the time we were out from the meeting.

 

Jang In Hyuk was Team Leader from the Casting and Training team. I had known him ever since I started to work at the company. I closed with him since we were starting from the same point at the same time. So I knew him well enough. But there was something that I didn’t like from him which was his persistency toward me in the term of feeling. I had known long enough that he harbored a feeling to me. But I kept maintaining our relation professionally. In the short word, he liked me but I didn’t like him.

 

In Hyuk exhaled then looked at me. “We will try to find the talents from our existing trainees first.”

 

“Alright.”

 

“But I think we will have to hold an audition for that. We're lacking actually,” he said. “But if you have someone in your mind, feel free to tell me, okay. Probably you can ask Kim Sung Won and Park Kyung Wook about this. I’m sure they know a lot new talents from hip hop world.”

 

I must admit that In Hyuk gave a good idea. “Ah, that’s a good idea. I’ll try to ask them later.”

 

“Okay,” he said as he stopped. “I’ll send the trainees profile to your desk tomorrow. So you can review them as soon as possible.”

 

I nodded. “Thank you,” I said as I smiled at him.

 

“And by the way, congratulation for your new position.”

 

My smile went wider. “Thank you.”

 

He just smiled then went away. I just looked at him for a while before walking toward the Managing Division along with Yong Jun.

 

"Do you want me to call Han Ok hyung to ask about Untouchable members’whereabout?" Yong Jun asked as we reached the Music Managing Team room.

 

I shook my head and looked at him. "No. Just buy foods and bring them to the training center. I promised Secret to treat them tonight." I handed him my credit card.

 

Yong Jun received the card. It was the company card that I used for work-related business. Every manager had that kind of credit card for doing job-related stuffs or for taking care of the artists.

 

"Will you be there too?" He asked.

 

I nodded. "Yeah. I'll be there," I replied. "But I need to call Han Ok first."

 

"Alright," He said then he walked to his own table.

 

I turned and walked toward my new room. I put my planner book on the table and took out my phone to call Oh Han Ok. He was the manager that handled Untouchable duo. I waited until he picked up the phone.

 

"Yae, Timjang nim." He greeted me with his bright tone as he picked up my call.

 

Somehow I felt weird to hear that title. I felt like I wanted to wring my fingers whenever I heard that title. I guessed I wasn't used with the title yet.

 

"Yah, stop calling me like that," I scolded him.

 

I could hear his chuckles after that.

 

"So, what's up?" He asked.

 

Since Han Ok was born on the same year as me, we always dropped our honorific wheneverwe talked. Actually he was my hubae on the company since he entered the company after me. But I asked him not to treat me like a Sunbae unless he was younger than me.

 

"Where's Untouchable now?"

 

"They're with meand currently sleeping on the back. We're in the middle of returning to the office from an interview," he said.

 

"Will you be long?"

 

"Not really. We're almost reaching the office."

 

"Tell Sung Won and Kyung Wook to meet me on the training center. I have something to talk with them."

 

"Do you need me too?"

 

"No, it's not about the job. But you can check upon Secretlater when you have arrived. I treat them foods. So you can go there."

 

"Okay."

 

But I could imagine that he was smiling widely. Han Ok really loved eating. I never wondered on why he got fat body.

 

"I'll pass your message to them,” he said again.

 

"Thanks. I'll hang up first."

 

"Okay."

 

I lowered my phone and hung up. I put my phone on the table then released a sigh as I saw the box on my table. I still needed to set up my working space.

 

When I tidied up my old filing folders, a bundle of papers suddenly fell off from the folder. I quickly put the folder on the shelf then squatted to clean up the papers. Then, I saw the profile of Bang Yong Guk that I ever made around 2 years ago. I looked again through his profile.

 

I got many info through my research about him so I complied them all on his profile. But then, I remembered that I had never talked with him again ever since I was busy with Secret and their schedule. I used to spend my time talking with him about music on the pub. Sometime he showed me the songs that he produced on his own and I gave him comments about the songs. Suddenly I felt that I missed him. Probably I should call him later.

 

Then I heard knocks on the door. I looked up as I put back the papers on the folder. I saw Sung Won on the door.

 

"Ah, Sung Won-ie," I said as I stood up.

 

"You said that you wanted to meet us on the training center," he said.

 

Suddenly I realized that I had spent longer time to set up the room. I clicked my tongue. "Ah," I said as I slapped my forehead with the folder that I brought. "I don't realize the time has passed." I lowered the folder and put it on my table. "Sorry."

 

Sung Won just smiled and walked to approach me. "So what's the matter?"

 

I leaned back to my table and crossed my hands across my chest. "The CEO decided to form a new hip hop idol boy group. And you know that we're lacking of trainees here. So, do you have someone who is good for the candidate?" I told him.

 

Sung Won seemed to think for a while. "For hip hop?"

 

I nodded.

 

"How many people do you need?"

 

I shrugged my shoulders. "Sajangnim haven't decidedthe quantities yet."

 

He just nodded his head and looked as if he was thinking. Then, he raised his gaze back at me. "You know that I actually have one person in mind now."

 

"Who?"

 

"Bang Yong Guk."

 

And from Sung Won's recommendation, I decided to put Bang Yong Guk as one of the member candidates. Probably he was the first person that I had in mind out of many boys who would appear later. He was the first person that I wanted to be on this group. But then, whether he would be part of the new group or not, I still had to evaluate his skill after he joined.

 

So I spent the night to find my video about himand made a presentation out of it.I wanted to give it to In Hyuk on the next day. I also tried to browse through my old videos to find some new talents.I had plenty videos that I took when I was still at the Casting and Training Team. I noted down all the possible candidatesand set their sample videos aside from the rest of the videos that I had.

 

On the next morning, I called In Hyuk as I drove to the office. I told him that I would visit his room instead of having him visited me on my room. I parked my car and went to the office. I went directly to the Casting and Training Team room and walked toward the team leader’s room. Ever since we moved to the new office, the team leaders had their own working rooms. In Hyuk was already at his room and he greeted me cheerfully as he saw me.

 

“Come in.” He said then took out some folders.

 

I entered his room. In Hyuk’s place was always cozy, just like his casual personality. He also liked to joke around and. I approached his table. He put the folders on his table in the front of me.

 

“This is the existing trainees that we have currently. They are the trainees that we have since last year.” He said. “Probably you’ll recognize some of them.”

 

“Ah, okay,” I said then took the folders and looked through them slightly.

 

“So…,” he said that made me looking back at him. “How’s the candidate from you? How many that you have?”

 

I smiled. “Just one.” I said as I dropped my gaze again to look at the candidates profile that In Hyuk gave me. But I could imagine his shocked expression.

 

“Just one?” He asked in disbelieve.

 

I smiled again and took out the folder that I brought. “Yeah, just one,” I told him then handed the folder. “This is him.”

 

In Hyuk took the folder and opened it. “Bang Yong Guk?” He looked back at me.

 

“Yeah,” I replied him. “He was part of the underground hip hop group, Soul Connections. He has quitted the group but he’s still doing music. He’s good. You can see it on the video.” I paused for a while. “Sung Won and Kyung Wook are recommending him too. So I guess it worth for trying.”

 

In Hyuk nodded as he read the profile. “Alright. I’ll try to check on it.” He looked up on me again and smiled. “If it’s you who recommended him, I’m sure that he’s pretty good.”

 

I smiled. “Thanks. So I leave it up to you while I’m checking through the trainees.”

 

“Sure.”

 

So, I turned and walked toward the door. But when I reached the door, I heard In Hyuk called me.

 

“Hey, Seo Yul.”

 

I stopped and turned to see him. In Hyuk smiled gently and sweet.

 

“When will you agree to have a date with me?”

 

I rolled my eyes because of the question. This was probably the reason why I was reluctant to hang around him. I guessed it was the 10th time he asked me the same question within a month. I scoffed.

 

“Just do your job properly.” I told In Hyuk and turned down his offer. I turned and walked out from the room.

 

I knew for some times that In Hyuk harbored a feeling toward me. But I always rejected him. And to think about, I guessed it had been 8 years since I fell in love for the last time. Well, probably my last love was so deep and ended so painful for me till I thought that I wouldn’t feel any love like that again for the second time. And I had promised my self that I would close my heart to any guys and just concentrated to my life. I had lost my father since I was on middle school and my family’s life was so hard back then. So I determined to make a better living for my mom even if it meant that I wouldn’t marry at all. But I didn’t mind with it.

 

But unknown for me, my principle would be changing soon. Once Bang Yong Guk signed the contract with our company and joined our team, he would come into my life.

 

And I have no idea that he will make my heart flutters like I used to have.

 

---

 

Please remember that Korean Age system is +1 year from the International Age system.

Kim Sung Won and Park Kyung Wook (or Sleepy and The Action) are the members of Hip Hop duo under TS Entertainment that debuted back on year 2008 with the song I'm Okay feat. Hwayobi. Currently they are serving at the Army since year 2011. You can find more about them in here.

Follow my twitter AFFalize_sakura for teasers and updates.

Thank you so much for reading, subscribing, commenting and loving the fic.