CHAPTER 12

Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and my Honey

 

“Can we see each other?” Khun said on the other line.

“What for?” she asked, quite puzzled at this sudden phone call. She couldn’t even remember that the last time they talked to each other didn’t go so well.

“I just want to say a few things. It’s important.”

“Oh. I’ll be in the MBC studio tonight for a performance.”

“I’ll be there.”

Out of nowhere, Kyuhyun snatched Victoria’s phone and hung up. Victoria looked  appalled, gaping at him.

“I told you not to get back with him.” He said calmly, his hair all messed up.

“We weren’t getting back together.” She pressed, as she got up and got dressed piece by piece. Kyuhyun followed suit, while giving her deathly glares.

“I know where this is going. He comes back in the picture and act like everything’s fine, make you go back to his arms.”

She was completely dressed now as she approached a still half- Kyuhyun and held his angry, fuming face.

“Kyuhyun-ah…you know what you got yourself into. I love you, but I told you I can’t be with you like this. Last night was something I shouldn’t have done, I never sleep with guys like that easily—“

“Yes but you slept with me because you trust me, right? Somehow you wanted to.”

“I don’t want t toy with your feelings, not in this way. This shouldn’t happen again. I’m so stupid for doing this. I’m sorry.”

Kyuhyun wanted to retaliate but she hurried out the door without, feeling ashamed of what she did. Victoria ran out of their dorm like there was no tomorrow. Everything that happened last night was something she never thought she’d do. True she was drunk, but aside from that factor, her anger and longing for Khun seemed to have to do with it more than anything. She knew it was evil of her for using Kyuhyun as a rebound but he was insisting. He was, by her definition, her only Korean best friend, and she did not want to jeopardize it by sleeping with him. She ran as she exited the building and hailed a cab.

The previous night, Khun had found that envelope she had given him on the day they broke up. He told himself he wouldn’t bother reading it, it was labeled “To Khun’s future wife” anyway so he figured it didn’t interest him so why should he bother. But last night all he could think about was Victoria. No matter how many ual escapades and flirty dates he had, at the end of the day, only one woman mattered to him; only one woman filled his mind before he slept and when he woke up. It was still all her, after all this time. He tried to act that he forgot about her, try to make her feel guilty and put up a bad boy façade but in the end, he couldn’t keep this up. This wasn’t him. So as he was brooding over his unwanted lifestyle, he found the envelope in his jacket pocket, which was sprawled on the floor.

“To Khun’s fiancée/wife:

Hi. By now you should have heard a lot about me. Or not. The important thing is that you now have him, and you know how lucky you are. However, there are a few things that you should remember and know. If you heed what I say, you’ll be forever happy. First, he likes to hold your hand. He likes to intertwine his fingers between yours. He does it out of the blue, without warning, but please let him. He likes it. He loves to comment on your hair, so don’t feel conscious when he does. He likes music when he drives so I suggest you bring along a music player every time you ride the car. If not, you can always sing for him.  He loves his family dearly, so from time to time, ask about his sisters or grandma. Also, you can send them gifts. Khun’s mom likes tea and Cherleen likes accessories. He will talk about them a lot, so listen. He misses them badly. He likes to touch when he’s drunk so…run as fast as you can. He’s kind-hearted, gentle and has good manners but when he gets mad he’s scary but don’t be scared. It means he’s willing to fight for you. He gets jealous easily. Don’t tell him but it’s really cute. He likes to be hugged from behind so do it often. He likes food! He especially likes it if you cook it so make a lot of food for him. Last but not least, take care of his heart. Someone as special as him is hard to find so treasure him, no matter how much he annoys you.

Sincerely,

Someone who came before you”

Afterwards, he smiled, for the first time in weeks.

As soon as Victoria arrived at her dorm, everyone was still asleep. She decided to call Kyuhyun to apologize.

“Kyuhyun-ah. I don’t want to lose you as my friend. Our friendship is too deep and important for me and I don’t want to ruin it because of what we did. I don’t want to risk our friendship. Let’s just stop this, okay? Let’s go back to the way we were.”

“The way we were. The way we were always had to do with our underlying attraction for each other remember?”

“Please, this is getting out of hand. I just want you to forget your feelings for me. It will eventually be the cause of the end to our friendship.”

Kyuhyun heaved a heavy sigh on the end of the line. He knew this would happen sooner or later. But clearly, he wasn’t someone who would easily give up.

“Let’s talk some other time.” He told her and hung up.

Victoria and her members made their way to MBC for the recording of Music Core. F(x) asked her what time she went home and she lied about it. Not that sleeping over at Super Junior’s dorm was illegal, but it’s something that others would frown upon. She felt like a huge deep inside just by recalling the previous night. She has never been so vulnerable in her whole life.

In the dressing room, Khun knocked and came in. F(x) members greeted him and bowed to him.

“Kids, give us a minute.” Victoria told her members and they didn’t need telling twice.

Khun sat down on the couch beside her. It wasn’t awkward. Even after a long time of not talking in a civil manner, it wasn’t uncomfortable. In fact it felt like home to both of them.

“It’s been a while.” He said.

“I know. How are you?”

“I’m not so good. You?”

“Same here. But I’m doing my best.”

“That’s the Vic I know.”

They smiled at each other, and it was heart-wrenching and wonderful at the same time. After everything they’ve been through apart, here they were again, face to face, exchanging smiles.

“So what was it that you were going to say?’ she asked him.

Khun looked at his feet, unsure how he should talk to her after all this time, then returned his gaze to her.

“I’m sorry first of all. For everything that I did after we separated. I know you were hurt about it, and I regret doing all of those.”

Victoria did not know why he should apologize to her, but somehow, she felt better. She didn’t need his apology but hearing him say those words made her heart feel a hundred pounds lighter.

“You shouldn’t say sorry, it’s your life. I don’t control you.”

“But I feel like I should. I’ve been wanting to talk to you for days, to tell you how proud I am of you and your group.”

“Thank you, Khun.”

Khun suddenly felt tears stinging his eyes. Involuntarily, he was crying. He had his mom in his head.

“When I called my mom, I felt so guilty. She didn’t raise me to be like this bad guy. I was taught to take care of women. And then she asked about you. And I couldn’t even answer her.”

Tears welled up in her eyes as well. Khun’s mom always had a place in her heart. Whenever she heard ‘mom’ tears would automatically fall. She put her hand on Khun’s back. It was obvious that he needed his family now.

“When I’d miss my family, I can always call them. But when we were together it wasn’t so hard anymore.” He went on, rubbing his eyes in a manly sort of way.

“When I heard about your father being sick, I wanted to talk to you so badly and be there for you but couldn’t, so I felt frustrated. I couldn’t do anything.”

Victoria wanted to hold back more tears, but her mascara was washing away now.

“Khun, it’s alright.”

“I’m not going to lie, there were times when I would successfully forget you and not think about you. But when I sleep, you’re all I would dream about. And I wake up feeling so lost and angry. It’s unfair.”

Victoria knew this feeling. She dreamed about him a lot too. And she knew the pain, she knew what he went through every morning after those dreams.

“Taecyeon asked me, ‘Khun, do you think we’d still be happy in ten years?’ and I told him no, I probably wouldn’t be. Doing this job is fun and tiring but if I want to be happy for a long time, I’d quit after a while and live a normal life.”

“That’s my plan too.”

“Which is why I realized that we are more important. You chose your career over me and that’s fine, I respect it. But when it all disappears, when we’ve reached the peaks of it all and we have nothing left, the only happiness we have left is each other. Fame and money don’t last a long time, especially for us idols. So I decided to wait for you.”

“Wait?”

“I will stand back and wait for you. Until you decide what makes you happy in the end, when your career has taken its toll. I’ll wait for you. It sounds ridiculous and pathetic but it’s the only way I can be motivated everyday—knowing there’s something or someone to look forward to.”

“Khun, you’re—“

“I know you’ll say crazy and yes maybe. But I know you love me. I don’t know if you’ll ever take me back after everything I did, but I know you love me in spite of everything. And I’m willing to wait.”

He then pulled out a folded paper from his pocket and place it in her hand.

“You told me who to give this to at the right time. It belongs to you. It always will.”

It was her own letter addressed to ‘Khun’s fiancée/wife’ and she stared at that piece of paper, Khun kissed her forehead.

“I’ll try my best to stay out of your way, or your life. But when you need someone, I’ll always be here.” He whispered in her ear.

Victoria was awfully quiet the whole time. She was overwhelmed with emotions and feelings it was impossible to express it all at once. When Khun was on his way out of the door, she reached out to hold his hand. He stopped in place.

She pursed her lips and blinked some leftover tears away. She had millions of things she wanted to say to him, but it all boiled down to one sentence.

“Please don’t be in love with someone else.” She said meekly.

Khun gave her a reassuring smile. They should hug or kiss, but everything was different and complicated at this point. Reconciling in a dressing room was out of the question.

“I’ll see you.” He said.

“See you.”

Then he was out the door. He felt like a huge nail was plucked from his heart. He felt better and renewed. He pushed the elevator button feeling optimistic as ever. The elevator slid open, and revealed Kyuhyun inside. Khun almost took a step back, but then decided he shouldn’t avoid him. He stepped inside, where Kyuhyun fumed at the sight of him. No one else was inside, and no one else was getting in. The elevator doors closed. Khun could feel Kyuhyun staring him down, drilling and boring holes with his glares. He knew this had something to do with Victoria.

“So you’re getting back together?” Kyuhyun asked in an eerily calm manner. His low, melting voice made it scarier.

“With all due respect, it’s none of your business.” Khun replied promptly.

Kyuhyun scoffed and crossed his arms.

“I never knew you were a playboy.” Kyuhyun droned.

Khun glanced at him exasperatedly. He was close to hitting him. “Look, whatever problem you have with me because of Victoria—“

“Ah, Victoria. Do you know how weak she had become?” Kyuhyun said silkily, still maintaining his cold demeanor.

“She’s strong. You don’t know her like I do.”

“Oh I don’t? Listen, you and I are no different to her.”

“We’re different, Kyuhyun.”

“I beg to differ. I knew her longer before you.”

“That doesn’t make you know her more.”

“Oh so what does? Sleeping with her?”

Khun pushed the emergency stop button once again because he had lost his patience. He came up to Kyuhyun and Kyuhyun met him halfway, chins up.

“You don’t even know me so what’s your problem huh?”

“Stay away from her.”

Khun faked a chuckle. “So what are you, her husband now?” he spat menacingly.

Kyuhyun felt a rising volcano of indignant fury. He was always the calm type of person, never losing his cool and quiet demeanor but once emotions provoked him, he had a hidden poison to release, like a quiet, mysterious scorpion.

“No, but it counts if I already ed her.” He teemed.

Kyuhyun was ready when Khun held his collar and pushed him hard against the wall of the elevator. Kyuhyun backfired by pushing back to the other side of the wall so that Khun was now backed up against it. Khun could not even understand what he was feeling right now. He felt his blood rush to his face and the adrenalin that came over him gave him the strength to mangle a grown man.

“You think you’re so hotshot to sleep around and then take her back afterwards huh? Well guess what, we ed last night. We ed all night and I ed her hard.”

Khun swung a punch across his face and as Kyuhyun staggered, he charged towards Khun. Just then, a security’s voice boomed in the voice over in the elevator.

“Gentlemen, the elevators have hidden security cameras now. Please step away from each other and push the red button immediately, before we call the police.”

Reluctantly, they both stepped away from each other but still stared at each other violently. When the elevator opened, a gang of security personnel was waiting for them. One of them talked into a walkie-talkie saying “They’re out. Call their managers.”

“Both of you please follow us.” One of them said as both the boys were escorted to the security office.