Too Close For Comfort

A Burning Fire Needs A Breeze

About a day had passed since I saw Junhyung. I hadn't dared to go back out to the stone wall because my arms were still badly burned. Yoseob was so naive. He still thought that I was just playing with his messy piece of coal so that was why my arms were still black and dirty looking. I would have at least expected Yoseob to use common sense. I waited for him to finally figure it out and I even gave him little hints but it was no use. Yoseob was a naive boy with the mind of a little child.

 

It was night time right now and it was pitch black outside. About ten minutes passed midnight this time and like usual, I sneak out of my cabin, leaving Yoseob and Dongwoon back in dream land. Sometimes I was glad that those two were such heavy sleepers. It made sneaking out so incredibly easy and a piece of cake. I didn't even have to worry if I made noise in the cabin before leaving, they wouldn't wake up. With a small smile, I sneak along my house once more before darting off into the forest and towards the stone wall like usual.

 

Here I am, standing at the stone wall again. This was beginning to get effortless and less stressful than before which was nice. I was no longer intimidated by the wall that I now knew seperated us, the Air tribe and the vicious Fire tribe. The last meeting with Junhyung made me so curious. I wanted to go over and see what the fire tribe was like and since it was pitch black outside, I thought it would be good to leave my own tribe to sneak over. I quietly grasp onto the wall, hands holding onto the top as I scrape my feet against it, trying desperately to pull myself up. Yes! I grin with happiness as my arms find the strength to pull my body up. I swing my legs over the top of the wall before hopping down onto Fire tribe land.

 

I'm now in Fire tribe territory and I suddenly feel fear rising in my gut. This is scary.. I didn't think I would be intimidated before climbing over but now here I was, standing inches away from the wall and my own land which I had never left before. Ever. I feel like a traitor for leaving my land but I love the adventurous feeling that soon washes over me as I begin to quietly walk. This side is almost identical to the air territory because the forest is just a few feet away from the wall on this side as well. I blink and get used to the darkness as I creep inside the forest.

 

I glance around before I continue to wander through the forest, seeing a dimly lit cabin through the trees. If I didn't know better I would think that I am in the air tribe still but no. This is the fire tribe now, a ruthless species of elementals that have a burning hot power to kill and start fires. I experienced it with Junhyung the other day. I knew what they could do and that the power they had could easily kill me in one shot. This was really scary now. I stop as I leave the forest, now right at the fire tribe. I glance around, seeing a few people outside. Crap! My eyes widened and I fled back behind a cabin to hide in the bushes. I heard some unfamiliar voices,

"Come on Doojoon, I swear I saw something run over here.

"I don't see anything Gikwang. What did you see?

"Well it looked like someone running over here. I knew I saw something." My eyes widened as I turned my head slowly, seeing the dark figures of the two speaking to eachother right near the bush that I'm hiding in. Oh god. What's going to happen? Will they find me? Will I be killed or burned to death? I cringe faintly at the thought but then internally curse at myself, realizing I made noise. 

"Did you hear that?"

"Told you something is over here."

"It sounded like it was in this bush." I hear and watch as the dark figure began to walk closer to where I'm hiding. I can literally feel my heart leap into my throat. So this was how I'm going to die? Being burned alive while hiding in a bush? I stay completely still as if thinking a miracle will happen so I don't get burned to death. I'm thinking, no hoping, no PRAYING that whoever this person is won't find me and then make me suffer a long, slow and miserable death.

 

Suddenly I hear the bush rustling as one of the males tries to look inside. My heart nearly bursts. I have to get out of here. Without thinking, I jump to my feet, taking off.

"HEY!

"Get him!"

My heart is pounding so hard in my chest, it feels as if it's about to explode. Seriously. I hear the two chasing me, hot on my tail. Suddenly the darkness lights up and a large ball of fire, probably the size of a basket ball, flies past me. I can feel the heat radiating from it as it shoots past my side. It missed me by an inch. It continues to fly off, hitting the ground with a large firey blast. Flames shoot up infront of me and I'm forced to sharply turn and continue to run for my life. I don't know if the two guys are still chasing me but that doesn't make me want to turn and look for myself! I continue running, spinning around the corner and running into a cabin.

 

I close the door quickly before locking it and turning, letting my eyes adjust to the darkness once more. My breathing is so messed up now. I'm nearly gasping for air before collasping to the floor, coughing and trying to calm myself. I didn't care how much noise I was making now, I was dying inside. Smoke had filled my lungs from the fire explosion and now I could barely breath! I continue making horrid sounds as I lay on the floor, coughing, sputtering and trying desperately to breath. I don't even notice someone turn the light on in the cabin and hurry over to me.

"Hyunseung? What are you doing here? Are you okay?"