Four

3,652 Days

 

0374. The Day of EXO’s First Anniversary

                “We should’ve gotten a bigger cake.  Tao, no more, okay?” Kris said.  The youngest of EXO-M pouted but didn’t protest, stealing mouthfuls of Baekhyun’s slice instead.

                Suho held up his glass of champagne.  “To our first anniversary since debut!”  The twelve glasses clinked, and there was a pause to the boys’ chatter as they each took a sip of their beverages.  They had squeezed themselves around the dining table in EXO-K’s dorm.

                Chanyeol put down his glass and twiddled his fingers.  Stop thinking about Kris.  Stop thinking about Kris.  You’re thinking about him!  He glanced around restlessly, giving Suho a quick smile when he looked at him with concern, and reached for his drink again, guzzling the bubbly wine in long chugs.  He wiped his upper lip with his thumb and swiped Baekhyun’s glass, letting the liquid run down his burning throat with satisfaction.

                Baekhyun groaned as Chanyeol finished the drink, barely a drop left.  “Why is everyone taking my food?”  Chanyeol grinned sheepishly and poured more champagne into the boy’s glass, only to grab it and gulp it all down again two minutes later.

                Yes, Chanyeol, brilliant idea.  Just get yourself drunk and that’ll stop you from thinking about him.  Hah!  I’m a genius.  He sighed, frowning at his own sarcastic thoughts, but he couldn’t stop himself.  Pretty soon he had snatched one of the opened champagne bottles, sipping directly from the rim.

                “Chanyeol,” Suho said quietly, an undertone of worry in his voice, “take it easy.  You’re going to pass out from all that alcohol.  Your face is already pink.”

                “I’m fine, hyung,” Chanyeol replied, his words beginning to run together, a hiccup finding its way out of his throat.  “I have.”  Hiccup.  “A high tolerance.”

                Suho pursed his lips with doubt but turned away as the younger boy took another swig.  And another.  And another.  The rest was a foggy haze.

 

                “Hey, hyung,” Chanyeol slurred thickly, dropping onto the couch and throwing an arm over Kris’s shoulder, “I have something to tell you.”

                Kris turned to see an unsteady Chanyeol leaning heavily on his side.  “Uh, okay…”  He shifted in his seat to support Chanyeol’s weight on his arm.  He never gets this drunk.  “What’s up?”

                “Come closer, I don’t want the others to hear.”  The younger man’s eyelids drooped and he had a drunken smile sitting upon his lips.

                It took a moment for Kris to register his indistinct speech.  He brought his ear to Chanyeol’s mouth hesitantly.

                “I like you.”

 

0375. The Day After EXO's First Anniversary

              His eyes fluttered open, and he popped out of the covers, his forehead hitting the bottom of the top bunk.  “.”  Suddenly a throbbing took control of his head and he fell back into his sheets, massaging his temples lightly.  He glanced to his left and did a double take when Kris, snoring softly, came into view.  A quarter of his body hung off the bed, his left foot on the floor.  Chanyeol climbed cautiously over the large slumbering body and stumbled into the bathroom, jumping in surprise at his disheveled reflection in the mirror.  What the hell happened last night?

                “You know.”  Chanyeol nearly skyrocketed out of his skin.  “I would say ‘I told you so,’ but you look like you feel terrible already.”  He turned to see Suho standing in the doorway.

                “Hyung, you have to stop doing that.  And I don’t know what you’re talking about.  I look this beautiful every morning.”  He held in the urge to vomit as the other came closer.

                “Right.  What happened to you last night?  I tried to keep an eye on you, but you disappeared all of a sudden.”

                “Hyung.”

                “What?”

                “I’m not even sure what happened.  All I remember is you pestering me and then sitting down next to—”  Chanyeol’s eyes widened.

                “Chanyeol?”

                “Oh, no, no, no, no, no, I didn’t.”

                “Didn’t what?”

                “Oh god, did I?”

                “Did you what?”

                “No, no, no, no, , , .”

                “What?”  Suho crossed his arms, awaiting whatever it was Chanyeol had remembered.

                “I think I told Kris-hyung.”  Suho raised both eyebrows, too tired to catch on.  “I think I told him how I feel about him.”

                The leader stared silently at him for a few seconds, unsure of how to react, but it didn’t matter.

                “Hey,” Kris said, his voice rough from sleep.  He poked his head into the bathroom as the other two diverted their attention to him.  “Chanyeol, can I talk to you for a sec?”

                The hung-over boy nodded numbly and followed him back into the bedroom.

                “Can I ask you something?” Kris asked, sitting on the edge of the bed.

                “Sure.”  Chanyeol’s voice was faint.

                “What do you think of me?”

                His breath caught, and he struggled to form words, tongue-tied.  I think you’re amazing.  “Gee, I don’t know, hyung.  You’re... a great leader.”

                “Anything else?”

                Maybe if I just act like I never said anything, he’ll just forget about it.  “You’re a good hyung.”

                Kris sighed.  “Thanks, Chanyeol.”  He paused but let the subject go.  “You should go take a hot shower.  You look like hell.”

                Chanyeol forced himself to smile and made for the door, ashamed of his cowardice.  I think you’re the most magnificent person in the human race.

 

 

--

Changed the title 'cause I just realized there are leap years lol ohgosh.  I'm sorry this is progressing so slowly omg.