Three

3,652 Days

 

0355. The Day EXO-M Returned from China Ahead of Schedule

                “Junior,” Chanyeol said seriously, “I think I need to confess something to you.”  He took a deep breath before divulging his secret to his most trusted confidant.  “I like Kris-hyung.”  He breathed a sigh of relief at the giraffe’s lack of reaction.  “I knew you would understand, Junior.”

                Suho, who had been leaning against Chanyeol’s doorframe, attempted to suppress his laughter, but an inevitable snicker left his system.  He clamped a hand over his mouth as Chanyeol turned around with a surprised yelp.

                “Hyung, you should knock!”  Flustered, he shoved the giraffe beneath his comforter.

                “Maybe you should close your door with such a huge,” Suho made air quotes with his fingers, “‘secret.’”

                “How much did you hear?”  Chanyeol flushed a rich shade of scarlet, mortified.

                The leader walked towards him and settled himself beside the red-cheeked boy on the bed.  “All of it.”  His voice was gentle, kind.  After all, he had known before Chanyeol had been able to admit it to himself.  “To be quite honest, Chanyeol, it was more shocking to see someone with such a masculine voice speak to a stuffed animal.”

                The boy heaved a sigh.  “You were right.”

                “About what?”

                “Kris-hyung.  You were right all along.”  Chanyeol looked down, fiddling with the zipper on his jacket.

                “I know.  Took you long enough to see it for yourself.”

                “Hyung?”

                “Yeah?”

                “I miss him.”

                “Of course you do.  You’re crazy about him.  Literally.  You were talking to a toy.  I know Kris gave it to you.  Had it been from anyone else, it would be collecting dust on the shelf right now.  But you should be happy; they’re coming home in a few days.”

                “I don’t know.  I don’t know if I can face him right now.”  Chanyeol flopped down onto his sheets, smacking his head against the wall in the process.  “Ow, .”  Suho erupted with laughter.

                “Still uncoordinated as ever, aren’t you?” a voice boomed.

                Chanyeol shot up from his position, knocking his forehead against the underside of the bed above him in the process.  “!

                Suho and Kris guffawed at the boy who was clearly too tall for the bottom bunk.  He rubbed his forehead, standing up to ensure that he had heard correctly.  His heart was just about ready to burst out of his chest.  Calm yourself.  He won’t suspect a thing if you just keep smiling like an idiot.  His lips pulled into something of a smile and a cringe.

                “Hyung, what are you doing home so early?”  Walk up to him.  Hug him.  Act normal.  Act normal, Chanyeol!  Normal, normal, normal.  His legs were weak as jelly.

                Suho made an effort to stop laughing and turned to Kris.  “Yeah, why are you home early, hyung?”

                “Wow, I don’t even get any ‘welcome home’ hugs?  Sehun and Luhan are pretty much getting it on in the living room already.”  Kris stretched out his long arms.  As if to confirm his statement, Kai walked into the room with what seemed to be a permanent grimace upon his face.

                “Don’t go out there.  It’s worse than those animal mating specials on TV,” he said, shuddering.  “But it’s nice to have you home, Kris-hyung.”  He gave Kris a friendly side hug.

                Why can’t I do that?  Move your legs, Chanyeol.  Move.  Your.  Legs.  He gulped, his body still numb.

                Suho stepped forward and took Kris’s offer, glancing at Chanyeol with a look that said, “What are you doing?  Get over here already.”

               Don’t be a chicken.  Go in three… two… one.  He in a breath.  Still nothing.  Suho and Kris released each other, and the latter approached Chanyeol.  , , .  Breathe.  Be normal.  Before he could utter a syllable of absolute nonsense, Kris enveloped him in his arms.

                “Why do you always do this, Chanyeol?  You know I don’t bite,” Kris whispered into his hair, and he shivered at how y Kris’s voice sounded.

                “I—I know.  I was just surprised to see you, that’s all.”  He swallowed.  Oh good lord have mercy, how can someone who just came from the airport smell so amazing?

                “Um, Chanyeol?”  Kris released the younger boy from his grasp, and he snapped out of his daydream, realizing he had closed his eyes and forgotten where he was.

                “Sorry.”  He stepped back and pulled another smile-cringe.  He frowned as he spotted Kai and Suho giggling in the background like schoolgirls.

                “Are you… all right?”

                “What?  Yeah, uh-huh.  I’m A-okay.  Awesome.  Peachy keen.”  Chanyeol coughed and steered clear of the other man’s piercing gaze.  “Glad to have you back, hyung,” he mumbled, darting out the door.

                “Is he okay?” Kris asked, confusion painted on his face.

                “Yup, he’s fine,” Suho replied, stifling his laughter.  Kai bit down on his lips, nodding with too much force.

                Kris shrugged.  Maybe it’s a Korean thing.

 

 

--

Sorry, this was just mindless babbling hahah.  I'll try to get to a more substantial plot soon!