Eighteen

3,652 Days

 

3388. The Day Kris Went Ring Shopping

                “Honestly, ge, just pick one already,” Tao whined, slurping at his iced latte.  “Gucci is right there.”

                “Go by yourself,” Kris replied, hardly even listening as Tao grumbled under his breath and dragged Baekhyun to the Gucci store, attention solely on finding the perfect ring.

                “You know,” Luhan murmured, sliding up beside the leader, “I think Chanyeol would appreciate a little bling bling.  I’m sure he’s been dreaming of the day you get down on one knee and present a snazzy ring since he was a little boy.”  Kris rose an eyebrow as he gave him a side-glance.  “That one would really suit him!”  Luhan jut a finger out at a sparkling diamond ring in the display case.

                “That’s a woman’s—”

                But Luhan was already giggling with Lay, the two scurrying off before they could push too many of his buttons.  Kris pressed his lips together in a tight line but continued to scan through the display.

                “How’s the search go—”

                “I don’t need your help!” Kris barked, his eyebrows relaxing when he realized it was only Suho.  “Sorry.”

                “It’s okay.  And don’t pay any attention to those goons; they’re just excited for you.”

                Kris heaved a sigh.  “I suppose so.  I just can’t find a suitable ring for him.”

                “Custom.”

                “What?”

                “Custom made.  Have it custom made.”

                “I… I didn’t even think of that.”  Kris only contemplated for a moment before calling over the shop owner.  He would make the most beautiful man ring ever, and the other members would apologize profusely for being so uncaring after seeing what a wonderful design he had come up with all by himself.  Smiling to himself at his thoughts, he explained the ring design to the owner, feeling quite satisfied with himself.

 

                “What if he says no?” Kris moaned into a pillow—Suho’s pillow—his long body flat against the man’s bed.

                “It’s kind of late, hyung.  I’d really like to—”

                Lifting his face off the pillow, Kris looked straight at the other leader.  “What if he thinks I’m going too fast and breaks up with me?”

                “Hyung, I’m really ti—”

                “What am I going to do?  How am I supposed to propose?  How do I tell him I want to have children?  What if he hates me?  What if he leaves me, Suho?  What if he leaves me?”

                Suho sighed.  “He won’t leave you.  He loves you too much.  Trust me, hyung, you two will be fine.  You will discuss the matter of children, you will propose, he will say yes, you will get married, and you will ride off into the sunset on a pair of giraffes.  Sound good?”  Kris opened his mouth.  “Good.  Now, really, hyung, can you please get out?  I’m about to die.”  He crawled onto the mattress and closed his eyes before Kris could say anything else.

                He climbed off and stumbled out of the room to lie on K’s couch.  As he was about to doze off into a restless state of sleep, a face appeared over his, and he yelped as he scrambled up, his forehead banging against the man’s face.

                “Sorry, hyung,” Sehun said, rubbing his jaw lightly.  “I was just checking to see if you were out.”

                “No, I shouldn’t even still be here.”  Kris groaned and flopped back onto the couch.

                Sehun patted his head consolingly.  “He’ll say yes, hyung.  I know he will.  We all know he will.  And then you will have beautiful adopted babies and you’ll live happily ever after.”  With a reassuring smile and a reminder not to stay up too late, Sehun flicked off the light and went off to bed, leaving Kris alone with his thoughts.

                We will discuss the matter of children.  I will propose.  He will say yes.  Kris frowned.  He’d better, that little troll.  We will get married.  We will—

 

3389. The Day Chanyeol Called EXO

                “No, Kris-hyung wants to talk to you last,” Suho said, catching Kris’s wrist to stop him from pacing himself into the wooden floor.  “He’s got some… important news for you.”

                Running a hand through his hair violently, Kris continued to pace anyway, his wrist still in Suho’s useless hold.

 

                Once all the members had had a chance to speak to Chanyeol, they passed the phone on to Kris, who gripped the phone as if he would crush it to bits, drops of sweat forming on his neck as the others smiled encouragingly on their way out of the room.  He brought the phone to his ear, hand trembling.

                “Hey,” he practically shrieked, his voice two octaves higher than usual.

                Chanyeol chuckled.  “Hey, hyung.  Miss me?”

                “Come with me to Canada.”

                “Huh?”

                “I bought a house here and there’s a room with ducks on the wall, but let’s go to Canada and maybe we should move there instead because I want you forever, and people are more accepting there and it’s legal, and I mean there’s less people and it’s always nice when there’s less of a risk of overpopulation, right, I mean,” he let out a crazed exhale of laughter, “that would be nice because you know that room with the ducks I was just talking about, that’s a kid’s room and we can be a beautiful family, will you have my babies?”  What the hell are you doing, Kris?

                There was a long, tense silence, during which Kris was sure he heard Suho smack his forehead in the hallway and Chanyeol felt his heart attempt to ram out of his chest.

                “What?” he croaked, unable to stabilize his breathing.  “What’s legal?”

                Kris coughed, forcing out a nervous giggle.  “The house is great.  It’s real comfy and you’ll like it.  We don’t even have to go to Canada.  You can even have the room with the ducks.  We can even take it off and paint giraffes instead.”

                “No, not that.”

                “Oh, the other thing.  I meant adopt.  I mean, that’s impossible, for you to have my babies because you know that’s—I mean, it’s okay if you don’t want kids.  We can get a puppy or something, or a parrot, or a snake or—”

                “You know I like kids, but we can talk about that later, hyung.  What—what are you trying to say?”  They were both in a cold sweat, fingers clenched around and ears pressed against their phones.

                Squeezing his eyes shut, Kris clutched Junior against his chest, pressing him up under his chin.  “Marry me.”