White Frilly Apron

FACE - A NU'EST STORY

I slowly creep towards the kitchen/dining room hoping to not bump into Ren after everything that happened last night. I can hear my mother sipping on her morning coffee and flipping through pages from her work file. I decide the coast is clear and walk in.

‘Good morning dear.’ My mother greets me without looking up. I go over to the dining table and take a seat. She takes off her reading glasses and stares at me.

‘Ttal, why are you wearing that? It’s far too small for you now.’ Her brows are furrowed at the sight of my attire.

Oh crap! I forgot to change!

Embarrassed that I got caught in my childish Hello Kitty pyjamas, I stand up to head back to my room to change when I sense someone behind me.

‘Here’s the Sunday paper you asked for.’ It was the same voice from last night. I freeze at the spot.

‘Ah, thanks Ren.’ Mother replies to him as her expression relaxes. ‘Oh, have you met Ren yet?’

‘Umm—‘

‘Yes, we met last night.’ He replies in my place.

Right. Last night. 

‘Oh that’s good then.’ My mother says. ‘Why are you still standing? Sit down.’ I comply quietly. I see Ren in my peripheral vision but I don’t dare look directly at him.

‘Ren has prepared an excellent brunch for us haven’t you Ren?’ Mother sounds almost too pleased.

‘Yes.' Ren nods and then takes out a large wooden tray from the fridge. He sets it down on the table and to my astonishment there is a fair amount of very delicious looking sushi. There were my favourites as well: salmon nigiris and avocado rolls. He then brings two bowls of homemade miso soup and a bottle of soya sauce to accompany the meal.

‘You made this all by yourself?’ I hear myself ask before I realise and bite my tongue slightly.

‘Yes. I did.’ He replies without much tone in his voice.

‘Well, thank you Ren. We will eat it very well.’ Mother expresses her gratitude whilst handing me a pair of chopsticks. ‘Won’t we dear?’ She asks looking at me.

‘Yes. Thank you for the food.’ I bow a little out of habit and take a sushi with my chopsticks.

My mother asks Ren if he wants to join as well. He politely refuses the offer saying he had already eaten. At this point, I slowly take the liberty of looking at him and to my surprise our eyes meet for the first time this morning.

'There wasn't much to see anyway'

I immediately look away and suddenly start feeling hot. I'm not sure if it's out of embarassment because no one has ever seen me in my underwear or anything less before (with the exception of my parents when I was a small child, of course) or anger because he is the first one do to so, on top of that, without my consent.

I glance back at Ren and this time he doesn't catch me. There seems to be a slight smirk on his face making me feel agitated.

Why is he smirking? Did he see something he was not supposed to see? EWW ! or wait, is he making fun of me in his head?

He then makes his way to the living room probably to start the weekend cleaning chores. I notice he is still wearing halmoni's frilly white apron which reminds me how feminine he looked when he walked into my room. I cannot believe someone as beautiful as him is a boy.

‘Mm, by the way, halmoni won’t be coming back for a while as she's having some issues with her back. She has moved back to her place further up the coast for now. So, we’ve arranged for Ren to take over until whenever and during that time, we've decided it be best that he lives with us.’ Mother sounds way too casual.

‘What?’ I say or try to since my mouth is still occupied with sushi.

‘I said Ren will be living with us for a while and he will be using halmoni's old room. He’ll do the house chores and will live here, all expenses paid for in return. It’s a win-win!’ She says clearly delighted with the idea.

‘Omma, that does not make sense. How can I live in the same house with a grown boy?’ I cannot believe she is seriously even considering it.

‘Oh loosen up a little. I trust him because he is halmoni's grandson. Think of all the times she took care of you.’ She says sounding more serious.

‘Also, he’ll be attending school with you.'

Whaaaaat?!