An Oppa I Know

FACE - A NU'EST STORY

I've officially settled back into my routine prior summer holidays: waking up, going to school, being pestered and robbed by the horrid Min Ji and Bo Ra duo ocassionally accompanied by JR, hanging out with Minhyun, staying behind for nightschool, going home, dinner, homework and finally bed. Rinse and repeat. The only difference now is that I get to listen to Baekho's endless chatter on the way to school and back. I haven't decided if this is a good change just yet.

Speaking of change, earlier this morning, like any other morning as usual, I was day dreaming (again) during homeroom when I noticed that the teacher was way too late. She is usually in before anyone else, not only in the classroom but probably in the whole school. She was just that enthusiastic about school and schooling in general. That morning however, she was no where to be seen and my classmates were engaged in such loud conversations to the point of almost everyone talking over each other with the exception of a few (i.e. Minhyun and I).

'Sorry! I'm late!'

Had been the first words of the person who had ran into our class. I wondered if it was by mistake because he was definitely not our homeroom teacher but his voice somehow was familiar. It takes me a few moments to realise that it's

Aron oppa!

‘Hi kids! My name is Aron. I am actually a teaching assistant but will be substituting for your homeroom teacher till she's ready to come back! Please take care of me!’ He slightly bows his head and I feel my heart drop into the pit of my stomach.

The class, to my surprise had gone quiet. I had sensed the boys trying to sight-measure him in terms of how big of a threat he was and the girls had just ogled at him like he was some piece of grade A Korean beef.

Turns out, our original teacher had gone off on a maternity leave. That's why she was so jovial and radiance last time. I couldn't even tell she was pregnant as she was wearing a lot of loose clothing then.

‘I know I’m not as old as most of your teachers here so, please treat me as a hyung or in a lady’s case… an oppa.’ He continued and for some reason, the kids in the class were applauding, as if to say 'of course, welcome! welcome! WELCOME!' The girls could not have been happier. Couldn’t say the same for some of the guys though, which I understood. After all, their territory was being taken over.

A few years ago when I was struggling with school and grades, omma suggested to get me a private tutor. I was very much against receiving academic help but had eventually given in after she bribed me with my own Netflix account. It was a brilliant win-win-win idea afterall: my grades started to improve drastically making omma happy, I had unlimited access to movies and shows and I got to spend time with Aron whom I was crushing on, big time.

He is just as I remembered him; tall, broad shoulders, dark eyes and hair that matched it. However, his looks are only the cherry on top of his charisma and intelligence. He just knew how to connect with all kinds of people and to my astonishment, even me. He had not only been my tutor, but also my mentor during my angsty teenage years. He helped me with more than just homework problems and I appreciated him for that.

‘Oh hey! It’s you! I didn’t think you’d be in this class.’ 

I immediately get that sinking feeling... you know that feeling of embarassment when you realise everyone is looking at you. Yeah, that.

‘Umm, yeah.’ I had managed to mutter and smile a little, looking at anything but him. I could feel the colour in my cheeks.

My discomfort must have been pretty evident as he smiled back and proceeded onto asking the class to settle down rather than continuing on our awkward interaction.

Minhyun had nudged me, he had written 'Who is he?' on the top corner his notebook. I had mouthed 'later' to him to indicate that I'd tell him about it after Maths lesson, during break which comes sooner than I expected.

‘So? Who is he?’ I meet Minhyun's inquisitive gaze, making me uneasy.

‘Do you remember when I was sort of in a slump a few years ago? I was beginning to fail a few classes.' 

'Ah yeah, I remember very well. You wouldn't accept my help and were so moody at that time. Not much has changed, has it?' He sounds mischievous.

'I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that.' I retort. 'Anyway, he was the tutor oppa that helped me study and get my grades back up.' 

‘Oh! That OPPA huh? The same OPPA that took my friend away from me then? Well, I don't know if I like him.' He says. 

‘Hey, we haven’t seen each other in a long time huh?’ 

I am now faced with Aron himself, not more than a feet away from my desk. He is dressed in a smart black suit blazer, dark pair of jeans and dark shoes. I can even smell the familiar light, woody-musky scent of his cologne. 

‘Oppa… what are you doing here?’ I manage to ask without stuttering and making a fool out of myself.

He laughs as if I asked something silly. ‘I’m standing in front of you after years and the first thing that comes out of your mouth is that?’ His hand reaches out and naturally ruffles my hair. It's like I've gone back in time, back to when I was just 14. He would often do that when I gave stupid answers to obvious questions. I feel Minhyun shift uncomfortably next to me.

‘Sorry. I didn’t mean to be like that. I just didn't expect to see you again after last time is all.’ I feel a bit bad now.

‘Ah, no worries. I'd be curious too. Tell you what, I'll answer all your questions if you come meet me at the cafe tomorrow at noon. It'd be nice to catch up.’

Yes! This is my chance to show him I've grown up to be a lady!

'Of course.' I know exactly which cafe he means but just to be sure maybe I should ask.

'At the same cafe, but you probably knew that. Is your number the same as before?' 

It is as if he read my mind. I nod 'yes'.

'Right, I'll see you tomorrow at noon then.' He smiles and ruffles my hair again. I wave bye at him until he is out of sight before sighing in relief.

‘Still just a tutor?’ Minhyun teases. 'And I can't believe you out of everyone uses the word 'OPPA' to call someone.'

‘Yes, Minnie. Still just a tutor.’ I try and convince him. 'And that oppa thing just came out naturally when I was 14 and it just stuck okay?' He doesn't need to know I used to crush on him but somehow I feel like he knows. He just knows me too well d*mn it.

He pseudo pukes as a response to my excuse. All of a sudden I feel anxious and excited about meeting Aron oppa tomorrow. 

It's not a date, is it?