Awkwardness

FACE - A NU'EST STORY

The strangest part of the most recent incident was the aftermath. Sure there were some name-calling (i.e. pad-girl, pad-thigh, etc, courtesy of Pledis High boys), but what was more baffling was the fact there were girls of all ages (some I didn’t even know that went to my school) who came up to me, expressing sympathy.

'Oh unnie, it must have been so horrid for you!'

Of course, I should have known better when most of them asked how I happened to know Ren 'oppa' right after.

Ugh. Girls are so annoying. 

I hear a knock on my door.

‘Come in.’

Ren enters with his pony tail intact. ‘I’m sorry about what happened today. It wasn’t my intention to embarrass you.’ 

‘It’s okay, I know you didn’t do it on purpose.’ I mean it. ‘But I really don’t understand you. You tell me to stay away from you in school yet you were the one who came up to me today. Why?’

I had been confused with the thought all day and his mood swings are seriously starting to give me whiplash.

‘I-I don’t know.’ He replies and with that, he turns away and simply leaves. I can't help but stare after him in disbelief.

What is up with this guy?!

I have never met anyone like him. He is a walking definition of an oxymoron: nice and rude, considerate and insensitive, feminine and masculine. But despite all this, I cannot help but feel a certain pull towards him and not necessarily in a woman-to-man way. There is just something about him and his blank expression that sparks curiosity and fascination within me.

Sigh

Regardless, it is the weekend that Minhyun and I are going to the movies and dinner - something I've been looking forward to. I tell Baekho he doesn't have to drive and instead I'll make my own way there. He does as usual ask a million questions about who I was seeing and our plans in general. I only tell him I'm going to the cinema and leave it at that.

I walk through the entrance of the complex about 15 minutes later than the agreed time. I notice Minhyun, who is holding onto popcorn with one arm, glance at his watch. He sees me and his lips curve upwards into a smile and I respond with an apologetic one.

‘I’m so sorry I’m late! My bus got delayed.’ I explain myself honestly.

‘Don’t worry about it. The movie doesn't start for another 10 minutes anyway.’ He hands me a ticket.

‘Thanks. Oh, you even bought popcorn! Stay here and I’ll go and quickly buy us drinks.’ I run off to the snacks counter.

I grab the two Fantas I ordered and turn around to almost spill them onto the person who was stood behind me in the queue. 

‘Watch it!’

I immediately apologise and am now faced with an agitated Ren. ‘R-Ren! What are you doing here?’ 

Before he can say anything, Baekho appears beside him. ‘You’re here too!’ He chirps as if he didn't know I was going to be here already.

‘Aren’t you looking cute today! Who did you come with? Oooh your boyfriend? It’s that boy from last time isn’t it? Is he—’

‘Baekho!’ I cut him off. ‘Yes, I’m here to watch a movie in screen 12, but with a friend who is not my boyfriend.’ I emphasise the 'not'.

‘Oh wow! What a coincidence, we're watching the same movie and yeah right! Ren, don’t believe her. She’s totally here with her boyfriend!’ He continues whilst grinning from one cheek to the other.

‘What she does and who she does it with is none of our business. Let’s go Baekho.’ Ren says with the same dead expression he always has on his face.

‘He’s not my boyfr—‘

‘Is everything okay?’ Minhyun comes over.

‘Yeah, everything is fine. Let’s just go please.’ I say to him, starting to walk away.

‘Hey, aren’t you Ren, the new guy in our class? I’m Minhyun, it’s a nice coincidence that you’re here.’ Minhyun says acknowledging the blond one. I try and plead NOO! Don't talk to him! with my eyes but he doesn’t get it.

‘Nice to meet you Minhyun. A lovely coincidence indeed’ Baekho, once again butts in, putting his hand out for a shake whilst giving me a cheeky smile. ‘I’m Baekho! I usually drive your girlfriend around but it’s my day off today!’

‘I’m not his girlfriend!’

‘She’s not my girlfriend.’

Minhyun and I both say in unison.

‘But yeah, I remember you from last time. You took over from the old ajhussi right? Nice to meet finally meet you, man.’ Minhyun shakes hands with Baekho.

‘Yahh, can we go now, we’re going to miss the beginning of the movie.’ Comes Ren’s voice.

‘Yeah yeah’ Baekho says. ‘Hey since the seating isn’t assigned we should totally sit together! Let’s go!’ Baekho grabs my arm and drags me towards the screening area.

The movie starts as we make our way to an empty row as quietly and swiftly as possible. Minhyun goes first and I try and follow after him but Baekho pulls me back and goes ahead, so now, I'm stuck in between him and Ren.

Oh great.

I look over to see Minhyun pull a confused expression in the rather dark, screen-lit room to which I answer back with a shrug and indicate with my eyes that it was all Baekho’s doing. I pass the Fanta over to Minhyun and Baekho takes a sip before handing it over. My reflexes make me shake my head and roll my eyes at him. He then gives his best I'm-totally-innocent smile. Before I can verbalise my distaste he shushes me by putting his finger to his lips and points towards the screen.

I feel someone shift beside me as I settle into my seat. I had almost forgotten that Ren was sitting next to me. I try and take a peek at him with minimal head movement when I realise he is doing the same. Our eyes meet briefly and we both quickly look away, embarassed. 

My heart is pounding faster than I would like it to. I know it sounds ridiculous but I wonder if he can hear it? I can't even focus on the movie because our arms keep brushing against each other and when it's not our arms, our hands in the popcorn bag that Baekho offers every now and then. Actually, I don't even know why I'm reacting this way - why am I being so hyperaware of him all of a sudden?

Finally, the movie ends and I can't wait to get out because I feel like I've been holding in my breath all this time. Once out, Minhyun and Baekho start discussing how comedic it was - something I didn't get to appreciate since my mind was rather occupied. Ren and I on the other hand, complete silence. 

'Baekho ah, we should go. Halmoni is probably waiting for us.' Ren speaks up.

'Oh right, of course.' Baekho responds. 'I wish you were coming to see halmoni too! but don't worry I won't meddle with your date anymore.' He nudges Minhyun with his arm.

'Baekho... Minhyun and I are --'

'Just friends. Got it.' He winks at me, setting my eye rolling reflexes off again.

'Do send my love to halmoni though. Omma and I miss her a lot' I say to him, meaning it.

'You should visit her yourself sometime. She would probably like that.' Ren says out of nowhere, surprising me. 

'Ye-yes. I will do.' I reply quietly.

'I will take you whenever! Just say the word, okay?' Baekho chimes to which I nod in response. 'Alright moody, let's go! It was nice to finally meet you Minhyun and you young lady, we will see you back at the house. Be good you two!' 

Ren gives us a nod prior to being dragged out by Baekho.

'Wow... what just happened? What did he mean see you back at the house? Wait, how do you even know Ren?' Minhyun asks as soon as the other two are out of sight.

'Long story, Minhyun. A very long story.' I sigh. 

Between dinner and the long walk home, I manage to tell Minhyun everything. As in EVERYTHING from my heartbreak due to Aron to JR and his minions bullying me for money to Ren living with us in the house. Minhyun for the most part stayed quiet and listened to me ramble with the occasional 'mm's and 'ah's. He was probably letting me get it all out which I am grateful for because I haven't felt this light in a long time. 

We are walking in silence as we reach my street. I glance over to see Minhyun in deep thought, staring down at his shoes. He eventually looks up, takes an audible breath in and grabs me by my arms.

'First of all, thank you, for telling me. I had a feeling there was something wrong but I didn't want to push you. Second, I'm sorry, truly. I should have asked regardless and I'm sorry for being blind, for not being able to see one of closest friends in such difficult circumstances.' I can feel his sincerity with every word he spoke. As I'm about to say that it's okay, that it wasn't his fault, that it was me who didn't tell him, he takes me into his embrace. For a moment his warmth and his fresh smelling cologne makes my mind go blank.

'Mi-minhyun ah...' My voice is muffled against his chest.

'Sorry - again.' He says not letting go. 'I know there is not much I can do for you now but I promise I won't be so oblivious anymore.'

'It's okay. It's not your fault.' I slowly pull away from him.

It feels strange. I mean, it's not like we haven't hugged before - this just feels different from the other times. To combat further awkwardness I playfully punch his shoulder. 'But you're right, you better start paying more attention to me!'

His gaze brightens up. 'I will, I will! I guess.. I guess I should go now.' He scratches his head.

'Yeah.. see you at school?' 

'Yeah.. see you.' He lightly touches my shoulder, gives me a quick grin before heading off his own way. I stare after him until he makes his turn.