Memories

FACE - A NU'EST STORY

Aron slowly opens the miniature velvet box to reveal one of the most exquisite rings I've ever seen in my entire existence. I stop breathing for a moment and examine every detail within sight. The ring has an impressively cut diamond sitting at the centre of the thin white gold band, surrounded by three smaller ones on each side.

My mind races a million miles per hour and my emotions are on a roller coaster high. I feel a lump in my throat as tears of pure happiness start welling up.

‘Are you okay? Why aren’t you saying anything?’ Aron finally decides to break the silence.

‘Oh my god! It’s so beautiful!’ My voice comes out shaky.

‘Do you really think so?’ He is staring at me.

My fingers softly brush on the band and look up at him. ‘Of course, oppa. Believe me.’

‘I believe you. So, if you like it so much, will you accept it and accept... me?’ I hold my breath.

Oh oppa… of course… I’ve waited for this for such a long time. Do you have any idea how long I’ve waited for you? I’m soooooo happy. YOU have made me so happy.

So happy...

‘So what do you think?’ Aron’s voice brings me back to reality.

‘Oh oppa, it’s beautiful!’ I exclaim as if my little day dream was coming to life.

He smiles to this and stands up abruptly.

‘YES!’ He throws his free hand up in the air. ‘Thank you so much! I’m certain that if you like it, she will definitely like it too!’

She? 

‘Who are you talking about oppa?’ I ask him, confused.

‘Raeyoung. You know Raeyoung don’t you?’ He replies almost too casually.

My heart immediately drops and I feel the lump in my throat increase in size almost big enough to make me burst out crying. It feels all too familiar except this time, it was worse.

Raeyoung…

Then I remember.

I remember the very day I had my mind and heart prepared to say what I had felt from the very beginning. I had played the scenario in my head over and over again; I would confess to him and he would in return do the same with mutual feelings. I would then live happily ever after. But I had thought of the worst case scenario too; I would confess and he would reject me. But still, I felt like I had to tell him regardless of the uncertain outcome.

I had asked Aron to meet me at our usual spot in the café. I was fumbling a lot with my hands due to nervousness while waiting for him and I felt the knot in my stomach become tighter and tighter.

I could see Aron in the distance walking towards me. I waved at him but he didn’t notice as his eyes were focused on the ground instead. His shoulders were slightly hunched and his smile non-existent.

‘Oppa, are you okay? What’s wrong?’ I asked feeling concerned.

‘It’s… nothing.’ He replied still not looking up. ‘Tell me something… have you ever been in love?’

That question had taken me off guard. ‘Uhh, I-I don’t know—‘

‘What if the person you loved so much that you world did not make sense without them, was going somewhere far away from you? What would you do?’ He asked finally looking up at me and at that moment his eyes looked so sad that I had to use every strength in my body to stop myself from throwing my arms around him.

‘I guess… I guess I’d go after them and use all the power I possess in the world to try and convince them to stay by my side… or I’d go wherever they’re going.’ I answered truthfully.

He hadn't reacted for a while but eventually looked up and it looked like something clicked in his mind and his lips curved into a smile.

‘Of course! Why didn’t I think of it like that! Thank you so much!’ He looked as if he found the answer to the universe’s existence. He checked his watch and immediately stood up. ‘I’m so sorry but I have to go stop Raeyoung now! I know you wanted to tell me something but can it wait? Thanks so much again! I owe you one!!’

With that, he left before I could even respond.

I was numb all the way home as my mind refused to register what happened.

That evening, I received a text.

Guess what? I’m going to the states with Raeyoung to finish my studies! Isn’t that great? I’m so happy and it’s all thanks to you. Really. I could not have been luckier to have such an amazing friend. Anyway, I’m going to board the plane now! Goodluck in your studies! I’ll hopefully see you soon. Oh and Raeyoung says hi! ^^

I felt something warm and wet roll down my face and it just wouldn't stop.