Follow Me

FACE - A NU'EST STORY

'I'm in my dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam~'

This is the umpteenth time IU has gone off. I hit the snooze button extra hard on my phone. I swear I might end up killing something or someone if I hear this freaking song one more time. I wriggle around my bed, trying to get back to the same super comfortable position I was in prior the annoying awakening.

Why am I up so early? It's not even a weekday...asfphwermas -- oh wait! I'm meeting Aron oppa today!

My eyes immediately snap open and I sit up straight. The buzz in my stomach returns once again. I really don't understand how after all this time, he was still able to make me feel this way. I had promised myself I would forget about after what happened last time. But then again, I had decided that because I didn't think I'd ever see him again.

It was a similar day to today and was meeting Aron in the same cafe. Except, instead of a catch up, we had planned to hold a tutoring session as my exams were just around the corner. I remember it was also the day I had decided to confess as I was so overwhelmed with emotions for him that I just had to tell him or I felt like I would truly implode. 

I had been extremely nervous. After all, it was my first time ever to 'make a move'.

I try and not think about the bad memories and focus on the good ones instead. What if this was a chance for us to reconnect? Do I still have feelings for him?

'Uri ttal, it's me. Can I come in?' Omma's voice from the door startles my train of thoughts.

'Mm yeah, come in.' I mumble. She carefully opens the door and walks in in her night gown - unusual on a Saturday morning. 'Omma, are you not working today?'

'Ah, I am. But I got a lot done last night so I had a bit of a lie in today.' She smiles warmly as she comes over to my bed and gives me a hug. This is actually one of the rarer times where I'm seeing her for more than a minute throughout the whole week. I can smell her perfume, now faint on her and hug her back realising how much I've missed her. ‘How come you’re up now? You usually don’t have school on Saturdays.’ She pulls away and tucks my hair behind my ears.

‘Ahhh, uhh, I have to go out for something important today, that’s why.’ I avoid her gaze and look down at an empty spot on my bed. I can tell she's not exactly buying it. ‘Omma, don’t you think we need someone else to well, not replace but help out halmoni around the house?’ I quickly ask her just in case she decides to enquire further about my plans for today.

‘Yes, dear. I’ve already talked to her about it. She said she would handle it herself and she knows someone.’ She replies. I nod along in approval, half glad my stray tactic worked and half glad halmoni was going to receive some help. ‘Okay, well, you have fun on your important outing today then. I’m going to go get ready for work now.’ She kisses my forehead. ‘Oh, and I think you should wear that new dress I got for you. I can tell you will look great in it and it’s perfect for the weather today.’ She says as she stands up to leave.

I feel a rush of adrenaline as I feel like I've been found out.

‘Okay omma. Have a good day at work and see you tomorrow.’ I try and sound as natural as possible, almost jumping out of my bed, to which she responds with a knowing smile and walks out the door.

After showering and blow drying my hair, I put on the new, floral skater dress omma was referring to earlier. She was right. The dress fit perfectly, particularly around my waist before flowing down to my mid thighs. It has short sleeves and a cute bow on the back. I put on some light make up as usual and finish off the outfit with my favourite pair of converse trainers. Satisfied with my reflection, I head downstairs and am greeted by halmoni's warm reception. Baekho seems to be munching on an apple but momentarily stops when he sees me.

'Hey, you look great!' He says and resumes eating his apple, not looking away. 'What's the special occasion? Do you need a ride? Are you meeting someone? Oh my, is it a date? Who are you going to --'

'Baekho, don't worry about it, I'll get the bus today. Okay, bye!' I cut him off and rush out of the 'Baekho inquisition' as quick as I can. 

Once out, I make my way to the bus stop and start on my journey. I can feel myself becoming more nervous thinking about what could happen and breaking into cold sweat though I can feel the warmth of the sun from my window seat. 

I arrive at the cafe about 20 minutes early so I take a seat at one of the empty tables.

This is not a date.

I remind myself one more time. My nerves still refuse to calm down and my palms are not getting any drier. I try and distract myself by scanning my surroundings. There are a few couples and a group of friends on the other tables happily chattering away. The atmosphere is lively yet calming at the same time. Feeling slightly relaxed, I start reminiscing the times when Aron and I would come here to escape from everything else. We would often drink our coffees and listen to his extensive collection of music through shared earphones or we would just talk to each other about almost anything and everything.

Ah, good times.

‘Hey, did you wait long?' Aron asks as soon as he reaches me.  

‘No, not at all. I just about got here.’ I reply as calmly as possible.

‘Ah, that’s good. I'll just go get us some drinks.’ He goes towards the order counter and comes back with an iced Americano for himself and an iced latte for me.

He still remembers.

'Thanks.' I am grinning ear to ear.

‘It's all good.’ He takes his seat in front of me. 'You look pretty as always.' I can feel myself fluttering inside.

‘Thanks. You look good too oppa.’ I sincerely compliment him back and for a few minutes we make small talk; asking about each other’s well being, each other’s family, the weather, etc.

‘You know, if it weren’t for you, I would have never known what I would want to do with my life.’ He sounds more serious. ‘Really, if I hadn’t tutored you I would have never become who I am today and I’m really grateful to have known you. So, thank you very much.’

‘Oppa… I didn’t do anything. You were a great tutor and I know someday you’ll make an even better teacher. I mean you basically had my class eating out of the palm of your hands!’ I tell him earnestly.

He laughs as a response and pauses momentarily. ‘Seriously though, you must know that you weren't just a student to me. You were much more than that. Much more...’

Aw... oppa!

‘And you to me. You helped me through a lot that year, with school stuff and also with… my dad... and whatnot. So thank you too.’ I nod as a sign of gratitude.

He smiles at me and then sighs.

‘Then, will you do something for me?’ He looks kind of nervous.

‘Why? What is it?' I can feel my curiousity pike up. 'But of course. Anything.’ 

‘Alright. Follow me.’ He stands up.

I do as I'm told and he leads me to his car. He opens the door for me and then he gets in himself.

‘Right, throughout the whole journey, you can’t ask me about where we’re headed or anything like that okay? Promise?’ I can see his eyes sparkle with excitement.

What's going on? Where are we going?

‘Okay oppa. I promise.’ I tell him and then he starts driving towards I truly don't know where.

About half an hour of silence later, Aron drives into a very suburbian area where there is an abundance of greenery. My curiousness is at its peaking point but I do not utter a single word. We eventually arrive in front of a, what can only be described as a breath takingly beautiful and vintage  Victorian looking mansion. I hadn’t seen anything as spectacular in my entire life.

Wow...

As I'm awestruck in admiration, Aron opens my door for me and holds out his hand. 'Beautiful, right?'

‘Absolutely.’ I assure him, taking his hand  ‘What are we doing here though?’

‘Come in with me first.’ He is now legit holding my hand, guiding me through the heavy wooden main entrance doors that has gold engravings of all sorts of art on them.

It is even more luxurious looking inside. I can't help but stare in awe. The ceilings are beautifully etched into gorgeous patterns as if Michaelangelo carved them himself. There are some ancient greek inspired marbled pillars supporting the ceiling as well. Charming old European style paintings adorn the wall, enhancing the alluring characteristics of the room we tood in.

I was so busy looking up that when I look down I immediately gasp.

There are rose petals spread out everywhere almost covering the entire marbel floor. The lit candles around the room create an overall dreamy effect, making the room look absolutely stunning.

‘What do you think?’ Aron asks as I am taking in everything one detail at a time.

‘Oppa, this is so amazing! I had no idea this kind of houses existed around here! and the decoration! did you do all this? It is mind blowing!’ I exclaim excitedly and I can feel my pulse becoming more rapid.

He has a satisfactory grin on his face. ‘Glad you think so! Come sit here.’ He walks towards a singular arm chair set out in the middle of the room and motions me over to sit on it.

Suddenly my knees feel weak and at this point, the buzz in my stomach feels as if there are a million butterflies fluttering within my being. I slowly walk towards Aron, not looking away from his gaze and sit down facing him. I can see the reflection of the flames dancing in his dark eyes and I  could not have imagined him anymore handsome.

He slowly reaches into his pocket and fumbles about for a bit and then holds out a black velvet box with a gold trim on the palm of his hands.

OH. MY. GOD!