Another Day

FACE - A NU'EST STORY

I woke up way before IU went off this morning, my mind occupied by the eventful weekend I just had: watched a movie with Minhyun, Baekho and Ren (what an odd group of people), told Minhyun everything at last, and finally, the whole debacle with JR. I had never in my entire life thought I would be able to help someone I hated so much. Moreso the person who had made my life a living hell for what seems like years and years. Should I have really helped him? The more I think about it, the more agitated I feel myself becoming.

'Thanks...' 

That one single utterance echoes in my mind. Out of all the things, that had taken me aback the most: JR actually verbally expressing something other than foul words to me.

I sigh deeply and reach over to my phone to see that it is almost time to wake up for school. I turn the alarm off before it rings and get out of bed. I draw my curtains to be greeted by the comforting warmth from the sun. I stretch my arms out to all my might and feel the stress dissipate from my shoulders.

Ahhh! this is so nice...

I gaze down towards the garden to see Ren holding the hose. Except he's not watering my mother's rose bush; he is staring right back at me. Without him realising, Baekho comes and stands next to him, who looks up at whatever Ren is looking at. Once he sees me, he waves. I smile and wave back. Ren seems confused and raises his hand too but immediately puts it back down when Baekho rests his arm around Ren's shoulder. Ren now looks extremely embarassed as he comes to the realisation that I was waving at Baekho and not him which makes me laugh.

After getting ready, I head downstairs to my mother sipping her coffee with her nose in the newspaper and Ren in his halmoni's frilly, white apron. His hair is neatly tied back and his bangs are pinned up. I can't help but think how beautiful he looks.

I take my place on the dining table as he brings over my favourite English breakfast and orange juice. 

'Thanks.' I start digging in.

'Ah, Ren, didn't you go see halmoni? How is she doing?' My mother finally looks up from her paper.

'Yes I did. She's doing well and asked how both of you were doing.' Ren replies courteously.

'That's good. I was thinking of getting off work early to visit her today. Ttal, would you like to join me?' 

'Mmm, yes mother. It's about time we go.' I respond whilst reaching for my juice.

'Would that be a good idea Ren?' She asks.

'Yes, she'd very much like that.' There is a little smile on his face that makes me feel all warm inside. 

Awwww, I've never seen him smile like that. 

'Good. Right. I'm off now, have a good day at school both of you!' Mother chirps as she gets up from the dining table. As soon as she is gone, he too leaves to probably get ready for school.

When I'm done, I grab my bag and walk out to a very sunny day and an equally bright Baekho with Ren trailing behind me with his bike.

'Hey guys! What a nice day isn't it?' 

'Tsk, whatever.' Ren mutters as he goes past us.

'Now now grumpy, don't dampen it for us!' Baekho laughs but Ren ignores him and starts biking out. 

'I know Ren may seem a bit cold but trust me, he's a real nice guy. Very caring and all that, it just takes him time to get to know people that's all.' Baekho says once we're both in the car.

'Yeah, I figured. It's okay. I think it's best if we both mind our own businesses anyway.' I came to the conclusion that there is no point in starting anything with him if everything I do or say provokes him.

'Oh really, what about me? Would you mind if I meddled in your business?' He asks mischeviously.

'Shut up Baekho' I retort half jokingly.

'What? you don't like me? I'm heart-broken.' I can see him, pouting at me through the rear-view, to which I shake my head.

'Don't let this get into your head but I think you're one of the few that I don't mind being around.' It's true. I am growing accustomed to his company to the point where I don't mind his inquisitiveness. 

'Aww I'm touched. I knew you liked me.' He winks setting of my eye roll reflexes once more.

We exchange our goodbyes when we reach school and I make my way towards what I like to call 'hell-hole'. As expected, there's Min-ji and Bo-ra waiting for me, scowling at me. 

Great, way to ruin this nice day for me.

'Well, hello there, our little friend.......' Bo-ra starts.

'Seriously guys, this is getting way old and extremely immature.' I muster my courage and inch closer towards them.

'Oooh extremely immature' Min-ji mimicks me. 'You know what to do.'

'N-no.' I stop right before them. 'I've had enough of your sh*t.'

'You-you what?!' Bo-ra screeches as she violently grabs onto the collar of my shirt. 

'Let. Me. Go.'  I emphasise each word I spit out, glaring as hard as I can.

'Looks like today, we're gonna have to teach you a lesson... again.' She raises her fist and I shut my eyes tight and aniticipate the incoming impact.

'YAH! Let her go'