End of Summer

FACE - A NU'EST STORY

Ahh, no! 5 more minutes, PLEASE!

I can hear IU's Good Day go off on my phone on full volume. Being off school for summer and after about 5 weeks of lie-ins, waking up at 6 a.m again feels like the biggest drag ever. The warm cocoon that is my goose down duvet, is wrapped around me - something I don’t want to get out of especially because I know that outside of it, everything else is going to feel ice cold.

I hit the snooze button on IU about 3 more times before ultimately forcing myself out of bed. I stretch to all my might, yawn then groggily make my way into my ensuite bathroom, uncomfortable with the cool on my heel from the marbled floor. I can see sun light seeping through the white carved window, making the white and gold interior of my bathroom gleam.

At least it's a nice day.

I go through my daily morning routine of showering and getting ready for school. My uniform is a typical school uniform: a white crisp blouse with a navy ribbon tie and a matching navy pleated skirt that sits rather short as I'm not exactly petite at 165cm. Makeup is not actually allowed according to the rules and I didn't used to wear it either but a girl can hardly help herself when all you see on TV and YouTube is the likes of Sandara Park and Pony, raving about their flawless skin thanks to their certain branded BB cream. Thankfully, I have sort of mastered the art of no-make-up make up that is so popular nowadays after watching countless of tutorial videos.

Oh sh*t, I'm gonna be late.

I quickly finish off with a lightly tinted chapstick and style my hair as I have consistently done so for the past 10 years: dark brown, straight and mid-length. You can probably tell I'm not very adventurous in that department but it's only because I can't be bothered.

I can smell the breakfast from the downstairs kitchen and today, the menu seems to be full English, my favourite. I grab all my essentials and head down to see halmoni preparing my first meal of the day. Halmoni, being the ajhumma mother hired back when I was only a toddler. She basically raised me in place of my mother, hence why I refer to her as halmoni. 

Yup, I was right. It is full English with a poached egg, strips of crispy bacon, a grilled sausage and buttered toast accompanied by orange juice with bits (I always thought the bits made the orange juice taste more fresh). No sign of beans.

Good.

‘Khamsamida for the breakfast.’ I smile at the 50 odd year old, grey haired woman in a white frilly apron, who is busy washing up in the sink. She turns around and nods with a genuine but perhaps slightly forced smile. 

She must be really tired. Poor halmoni. We should really look into letting her retire...

I make a mental note about her so that I can mention it to my ever so busy mother later. 

Though omma and I live under the same roof, we hardly see each other as she works from dawn till late. She leaves for work in the morning before I'm even awake and comes home quite late and usually after dinner. We do see each other on Sundays though, as long as she doesn't have some extra last minute work to do. I don't mind and don't have any resentment towards her as I understand that such is the life of a single mother/successful entrepreneur. Plus, I'd rather see her like this than be oppressed and emotionally abused by a career-envious husband (i.e. my ex-stepfather).

If you're wondering what my mother does for a living, I wouldn't be the first person to ask because I am not sure of the full details myself. However, I can tell you that it is nothing glamorous - just that it revolves around two words: Investmenet Banking and yes, she's a smart cookie indeed. 

I express my gratitude for the morning meal and bid goodbye to halmoni and head out towards the car mother arranged for me.

‘Good morning, Agassi!’ Comes a cheerful voice from the driver's seat.

Huh? Who's this?

He did not sound like Jinpyo ajhussi, the usual chauffer, who is in his late 40s. This new voice is more…. youthful?

‘Excuse me, you’re not Jinpyo ajhussi, where is he?’ 

‘Ahh, he has been fired. Something about being under the influence and inappropriate behaviour towards a young girl and apparently, it wasn't his first time... ’ 

I can feel my eyes widen as it dawns on me.

‘He is a ped–‘

‘Ped*, yes.’ He finishes my sentence.

How can that be? I let him drive me for over a year! He was nothing but super nice to me. This is saddening. I really thought he was just a nice gentleman. Overly friendly at times perhaps but still.

‘I wouldn’t worry too much about it. You’re in safe hands now. I’m too young to be one to you anyways’

He turns around for the briefest of moment and flashing the brightest smile I have ever seen. He has bright blond hair styled almost like a mohawk. His face cleanly shaven with no sign of stubble. There is no doubt that he is good looking.

‘I’m Baekho by the way. Your new chauffer and perhaps even a friend, if you’re lucky.’ He chuckles. 

Wow.

‘A friend? Aren’t you getting a bit ahead of yourself?’ I sound snarkier than I intended to. 'Also, you look about my age... why aren't you in school yourself?'

‘Isn’t someone in an amazing mood this morning!'

‘Psht. Whatever.' I realise he didn't answer my latter question but I decide not to pry further. Afterall, he is probably just temporarily hired.

‘By the way, do you want me to stop around the corner? I hear you don't like people seing you in your car’ 

It is true. Afterall, a silver Bentley isn't exactly the most modest vehicle for a school run. I contemplate for a few moments.

No, I've decided to not care anymore, just drop me off in front of school.’ 

It won't make much of a difference eitherway.

Baekho glances at me and nods before stopping right in front of the main entrance. I can see a few stares, nothing new. Most of the kids don't like me because well, for one, I am quite well off compared to a lot of them (not trying to brag, I swear!) and two, I'm not an approachable peer. I'm not big headed or anything, I'm just not very good at uh, human communications. It doesn't help that the school had to accept a whole load of students last year due to a nearby (a much more 'troublesome') school closing down. To be honest, I don't have much of an opinion on the overall people in my school anyway and they seem to know. I also don't have many friends but it doesn't bother me much anymore. At this point, I just want to get over schooling with as less interaction as possible.

Still, I can't help but feel a little nervous.

‘Thanks, don't bother getting out.' I say before Baekho has the chance to get out to open my door.

‘No problem. Good luck on your first day back and I shall wait for you here after school... friend.’ I see him wink in the rear view mirror, my reflexes involuntarily makes me roll my eyes. 

I grab my bag and step out to see a familiar red bricked school building with a massive 'PLEDIS HIGH' nailed to it. I take a final breath of freedom.

Here we go.