Encounter With The Enemy

FACE - A NU'EST STORY

'-piece of sh*t! how dare you put a hand on me? I'm going to end you!'

A threatening voice interrupts my train of thoughts that was mostly about the night I just had. I cautiously follow the direction of the source to see two guys stood over someone on the ground, one of them kicking the person who does not seem to be responding. A sudden rush of panic goes through my being, I can feel the adrenaline pounding through my veins as I take hold of my phone from the front pocket of my bag and dial the police.

'STOP!' I yell as loud as I can, holding my phone up. This catches their attention and they scowl when they figure out it's only me. I can see under the street light that one is bald and quite overweight whilst the other one has stocky stature, sporting a buzz cut and both of them are wearing loose black tracksuits. 

'I-I've dialled the police and I'm going to hit the call button if you don't leave him alone. The police station is not that far, and it will only take them few minutes to get here.' I try to sound as convincing as possible with my heart rate going through the roof.

'What the did you just say?' The bald one who was kicking the victim takes a step towards me.

'Don't take a step further or I swear...' I take a step back.

'You little b*tch, who do you think you're threatening? I'm going to teach you a--'

'Yah yah yah, forget it. Let's just go. This guy definitely won't bother us anymore and this girl ain't worth the trouble.' Buzz cut pulls him back.

'Fine. But you, I'd watch out if I were you.' Baldy points at me, with his sausage like finger. With that, the two leave, glaring at me.

Once they're out of sight, I can feel the knot in my stomach loosen in relief. I shiver at the thought of how this could have gone wrong - like really wrong. I feel like a deer that managed to get away from its predator and thank my lucky stars. I quickly run over to the guy who has his hood on and is lying with his back faced towards me.

'Excuse me! are you okay?' I kneel down next to him. He doesn't respond. I tap him on his shoulder as gently as possible.

'Owwwww.' He squirms. 'Those bastards.'

'Here, let me help you.' As I help him sit up, his hood falls and I can just about make out his features behind all the bloody mess. After staring for a few moments, I realise who it is and am filled with dread.

'JR?' 

'Huh?' He blinks a few times and peers at me through his swollen eyes.

Out of everyone in this entire world, out of 7 freaking billion people, why him? Why?

I am filled with anger first then conflict as I can't decide if I should help a foe or leave him at his time of need. As much as I want to just get up and  walk away from him, something at the back of my mind gnaws at me. 

'Come on, get up, we need to get you to a hospital.' I reach my hand out to him but he ignores it. I'm guessing he too has recognised me.

'I don't need your help and I am NOT going to a hospital' His voice sounds more firm than before. He tries to pick himself off the floor and fails to do so as his elbow gives off. I feel bewildered that I am witnessing him look so... pathetic.

'Ugh, just let me help you up for God's sake' I forcefully grab him without giving him the option to reject me. 'Come on.' I carefully put his arm around my shoulders and feel some of his weight shift unto me but just enough so that he isn't overpowering me. I can smell dry blood on him like rusty nails and I get slightly nauseous so I breathe through my mouth instead.

'I have to go back to my place.' 

'Yeah, you can go back once we get you cleaned up. My place is only a few minutes away from here.' I try and tug him with me, but he doesn't budge.

'I said no. I have to go back to my place.' He repeats himself, making me frustrated.

'You know, you don't have to be so rude.' I'm staring into his dark eyes. 'Where do you live?'

'Just around the end of this street.' 

What the hell? He lives near me?

After what felt like hours, we finally reach his destination to see not a house but an enormous gated mansion.  

This does not make sense. If he lives here... then why the hell does he feel the need to rob me???

'Up to here is fine. I can go in myself.' He lets go off my shoulder and starts to limp towards the front gate.

'Some gratitude would be nice you know.' I am getting real tired of his crap. 'D*ck.' I whisper under my breath.

'Why did you help me tonight? Especially when you hate me.' He suddenly asks, not looking back. 

'JR, even though you treat me like dirt, and you steal from me, God knows why cos it seems like you're perfectly well off, and I should have probably left you rotting on the street but as a human being, I cannot leave someone who is bleeding and is beaten half to death even if it were my most loathed enemy.' I reply as calmly as I can.

'Why?' He asks again as if he didn't understand what I just unloaded unto him.

'Because I have something that clearly you don't and it's called conscience.' I wait for a few moments but he doesn't respond at all so I turn on my heel to walk away from him while I still have the last word.

'Wait..' I hear his voice trail behind me.

'Thanks'