Welcome Back to Pledis High!

FACE - A NU'EST STORY

I walk onto the cobbled path that paves itself towards the main building. It is surrounded by god-knows-what variety of plants and greenery. Sounds like a beautiful sight right? Except it isn’t.

The branches from the trees are broken and trunks have been carved on. There are only a few actual flowers that exist as a whole here and there. The rest have been either torn off or kicked to death probably by kids who 'could not stand the sight of them' for whatever reason they may have. Who understands kids these days anyway?

I am in the midst of feeling sorry for Mother Nature when I see three figures walking towards me.

I feel my stomach sink.

Sh*t, already?

‘Oi! You there! Punk! Come meet us behind the cafeteria building in 5 minutes or else you’re dead, you hear?’ A raspy female voice calls out to me.

This was all too familiar, a déjà-vu.  But it was either this or getting into a fight as I had done so last year when I decided to stand up for myself. Let's say it didn't go too well for me because I clearly underestimated my combat skills. Frankly, the thought of having to explain where I got the blue and purple bruises to omma was more displeasing than the pain I suffered. So yes, I lied to her and everyone else by saying that I had fallen off ten flights of stairs. I just didn't want to create any more inconvenience in her already chaotic life and also, I was kind embarrassed of how juvenile the whole ordeal was and sounded.

Being bullied by some pests in my last year before university? Come on.

I take heavy steps as I carry out their order. The surroundings of the back of the cafeteria seems unchanged. There are bags of rubbish thrown outside of the bins because the kitchen staff were probably too lazy to actually open the lid and trash it like you’re supposed to. I can smell the rotting onions and other foods and feel slightly nauseous. Hopefully, my English breakfast stays down.

‘What do you want?’ My eyes don't leave the ground.

‘Yah! Why are you so cocky huh? Just because you came in your car today you feel like you’re worth a million bucks? You b*tch! Want us to teach you a lesson again?’ I can hear the harshness in her voice caused by smoking too many cigarettes.

I look up to see if her face still matched her wretched voice.

Yup, still the same. She seems to have her face caked with foundation that is at least 3 shades lighter than her neck. Her beady eyes, chapped lips and her deep fried black hair don't do much for her either.

Park Min-Ji.

‘What are you looking at? Are you making eyes at us?’ Comes a tiny but angry voice from the other girl. She is definitely the prettier one amongst the two with her straight black hair and her small, pale face. I notice the scar on her left cheek. It looks fainter than before but none the less, still there. I almost smirk remembering my small moment of victory when I managed to scratch her mug but I stop myself.

‘Yahhh, can you guys stop being so loud?’

A male voice behind the two girls this time. Deep and familiar.

Ah, finally the leader speaks.

‘JR oppa, we were just trying--'

‘Save it, Bo-Ra’ He cuts her off as he comes towards me. I can feel his glare through both of his eyes even though one of them is covered with his fringe. I don't understand why he still sports this hairstyle. I mean, the emo trend hasn't been a trend in a long time. He stops almost a meter away, reminding me that he is indeed taller than the average male in Pledis High thus making him more intimidating.

‘Why are you delaying the process? Just hand it over and scoot.’ His gaze doesn't leave me.

Ugh.

I know exactly what he means so I reach into my bag, and pull out my purse. I start handing him the notes when the little b*tch Min-Ji snatches it and starts walking away.

‘Thanks for the cash! See you tomorrow assh*le!’ She exclaims, clearly satisfied with the amount.

JR radiates a quick glare towards her direction before starting to walk off as well. Bo-Ra too follows after hissing at me.

Oh how I missed being robbed.

I feel anger boil in my veins. Not because they took money from me, I couldn't care less about that but rather because they make me feel what I hate feeling the most: weak and helpless. Defending myself unfortunately is no use as it is a losing fight. One against three is hardly fair. Although JR never laid a hand on me, the other two are more than enough. What infuriates me even more is not being able to understand why JR decided to pick on me out of everyone after transferring here. I never did anything to him.

It is just. so. unfair.